DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

2 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Roman and the Uso's especially the bigger one look like they could become hosses if they wanted to just not watch their weight. Isn't that the Reason why Roman still wears the vest?

Roman wears the vest because he wears a compression girdle due to some herniated discs years ago, so the vest hides that.

6 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Now I just want to see him trying to lug a giant fucking alligator to the ring, and chaos ensuing when no-one can wrangle it, subsequently killing both the town, and ringside children.

Ah, now I'm reminded of the ill-fated Tough Enough contestant Z.Z. Loupe, the backyard alligator wrestler, best-known for being such a useless turd that even Cesaro couldn't get anything passable out of him. Not that one should expect a lot from a guy who names his sparring partner "Mr. Gator"! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The Hollywood Blondes might be the best "they were broken up too soon" short-lived tag team.

Even better than Manny Fernandez and Rick Rude, yeah, I said it, don't @ me with angry comments because my feelings bruise easily. 

They way people speak about them in retrospect you'd think they were a team for more than a few months. I remember watching a few several WCW PPVs a clashes from that era with them as a team and his seems like they were together as long as Da Bar.

24 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Now I just want to see him trying to lug a giant fucking alligator to the ring, and chaos ensuing when no-one can wrangle it, subsequently killing both the town, and ringside children.

Ah, now I'm reminded of the ill-fated Tough Enough contestant Z.Z. Loupe, the backyard alligator wrestler, best-known for being such a useless turd that even Cesaro couldn't get anything passable out of him. Not that one should expect a lot from a guy who names his sparring partner "Mr. Gator"! 

51 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

They way people speak about them in retrospect you'd think they were a team for more than a few months. I remember watching a few several WCW PPVs a clashes from that era with them as a team and his seems like they were together as long as Da Bar.

They were a team for ten months, but because it wasn't the 'Monthly PPV' era yet, they didn't have too many PPV/ Clash matches as a team. Part of what made them a great squash match team was that their squashes are almost the thing that defined them.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Sadly, not the video with the bond theme. 

That babyface arm flailing Hall did after every offensive maneuver looked so out of character for Scott Hall. I mean he did that shit as a heel, but back then it made him look like a prelim jobber.

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm honestly struggling to think of a non-hoss Samoan, I'm sure there are some but none that immediately come to mind

Sean Maluta, Dakota Kai

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The Hollywood Blondes might be the best "they were broken up too soon" short-lived tag team.

Even better than Manny Fernandez and Rick Rude, yeah, I said it, don't @ me with angry comments because my feelings bruise easily. 

Agree on both fronts.  The Four Horsemen with Windham challenges that.  Probably the best Horseman incarnation and also one of the shortest. The Horsemen in the WWE Hall of Fame barely lasted six months.

• Like 1

As I have said before, Tully and Arn were not a team for all that long, in the grand scheme of things. If you dont count them teaming in the "pre Horsemen" era with ole and Arn were the regular team, they're Tag Team Champs  for about a year from beating the RnR in Sept 87 until leaving in Sept 88 (minus the month Lex and Barry had the belts). And then their wwf run. 

Edited by odessasteps

I don’t know if this is opening a can of worms here, but apparently the dude who took the Ohio shooters gun right before police killed him was an Indy wrestler, Jeremy Ganger, who was moonlighting as a bouncer at the bar where the shooting took place. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

Agree on both fronts.  The Four Horsemen with Windham challenges that.  Probably the best Horseman incarnation and also one of the shortest. The Horsemen in the WWE Hall of Fame barely lasted six months.

Whoo, that's '88 if I recall. That Windham turn when I was waiting for Luger to be the one to do it really got me as a kid. 

Then Windham putting the black glove on and clawing everyone in sight...yeah, that stuff was the best.

I think they came about at the right time for people in my age bracket. I was about nine or ten and a devoted watcher of WCW Worldwide and Saturday Night, so most of what I saw was them killing dudes and Austin doing the camera bit, which was so good that I immediately started rooting for them even though they were heels. 

I'm also a big mark for Steve Austin's TV Title run where he was managed by Rob Parker, most of which I experienced via Worldwide episodes. Like, to the point that I think I enjoy it as much as anything he's done as Stone Cold Steve Austin. It's heavy nostalgia talking, I know, but that's how I feel. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I think it was because they were featured on every single WCW TV show that makes it seem like they were a team longer than they were. I have the same problem with Pretty Wonderful

I do like Hijo Del Fantasma a lot. He's a guy that I had wished hadn't left CMLL when he did because he would have been a good staple for the years that I was most into watching CMLL on a weekly basis. He has some definite pros as it pertains to the WWE: Decent size, good look, able to work a lot of different styles (within lucha confines), probably a good sense of wrestling politics given his family, a great English speaker. 

Him coming in at 35 with at least fifteen years of taking bumps feels very different than Garza, Jr. coming in 26 or Almas who is only 29 now (which is about the age Mistico was when they brought him in). The closest comparison feels like Del Rio who was 32 when he was signed. 

15 hours ago, OSJ said:

Well he did start with Verne pushing him as "Gator" Hall with a rather ridiculous vignette of him wandering around a zoo poking the alligators with a stick...

Nitpick...That was the 89 NWA Summer booking committee.

Verne called him ‘Big’ Scott Hall.