DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing - 5/25/2019

I think it's great if PAC doesn't want to to job while the being the top champion. I think that kind of attitude is pretty professional.  AEW had to know this was coming considering what he's been doing this whole time - so the idea that it's a work is pretty high.

But if the kind of storylines we're going to get is "wrestlers won't lay down in fake matches" then maybe I don't know what "real sports build" means.

30 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Zero.

If its not a work then it was dumb and arrogant booking on AEW's part to assume he would take his first loss since returning in AEW. Not sure if PAC is contracted to DG, but its pretty much his home promotion. His loyalty was to going to be them first unless they did something to really piss him off.

11 minutes ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

This has to be a work. I’m not buying PAC would even bother doing this match with Page if it truly makes PAC look unprofessional in doing a no-show at DON.

Strictly speaking this wouldn't a be a no show, just a cancellation over disagreements in booking. That happens and doesn't necessarily mean anyone is being unprofessional.

Edited by Eivion

I’m not going conspiracy theory this. I’ll take the story at face value. 

I have to admit when I heard this match was announced I questioned the outcome. I mean PAC is a guest star, and champion of a big Japanese promotion. Why would he come in to job? Same with Page. Why would you job your rising star on the first PPV? So this felt like they booked into a corner they couldn’t get out of without pissing somebody off. 

They couldn’t book a draw, because a 30 minute draw happening way before the main event sounds ridiculous. A 15 minute draw would be real wimpy, and you’d have to book every undercard match with a 15 minute time limit just to avoid tipping your hand. You can’t book Page to win with a roll up in the flukiest fashion because that wouldn’t look strong, unless he was a Bret Hart like character. The best thing to do would’ve been PAC dq’ing himself and injuring Page to do the rematch down the line after he drops the Dragon Gate tilte. But that might take forever!

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I just can’t see PAC pulling this right now with the reputation he has....this has to be a work to play into the reputation PAC has at this time. 

I also agree with the sentiment that AEW/Khan would not have booked PAC to lose at DON. Page is a long term project who is going to be a star in time. No need to put Page over. 

Im probably way off here...and if I am I will deserve the grief given to me...but this has to be a work.

The underlying buzz seems to be that the story they’re putting out there is a cover for visa issues.  Also, they’ve probably known about it (or at least feared it was a possibility) for a while, which is why it’s been downplayed on BTE lately.

It's beyond stupid to use something that makes wrestling look fake to cover visa issues if you're going for a "real sports feel" so I hope it's just really fucking dumb fans and not a really fucking dumb promotion.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

It's beyond stupid to use something that makes wrestling look fake to cover visa issues if you're going for a "real sports feel" so I hope it's just really fucking dumb fans and not a really fucking dumb promotion.

You make a good point. Why do the “creative differences” work? 

But at this point nothing makes sense to me because I can’t fathom both PAC & Page agreeing to do this match in England at this time unless it was a work for DON. 

Meltzer explains that in the quote above:

"The PAC vs. Page match will be released this week on the Internet by AEW with the idea that everyone can see the match, even if it had a DQ finish, for free, so fans are getting the hyped up match. Page agreed to fly to England and do the match to make up for the hyped match not happening on the PPV. Page will be wrestling against a new opponent, although the name probably won't be announced before the PPV show. The DQ finish kept things open ended enough that PAC may be back with the promotion at some point to face Page, although there is no definitive time frame."

So it was basically a "make-up" for the promotion.

Edited by Tromatagon

If it's a VISA issue and they used a shoot angle, it's a dumb fucking promotion.  If it's they legit thought PAC and DGate wouldn't balk at their Champ jobbing to someone that's been no more than a mid-carder up to now, it's a dumb fucking promotion.  If it's a total work... it's a dumb fucking promotion.

But this place is different...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Meltzer explains that in the quote above:

The PAC vs. Page match will be released this week on the Internet by AEW with the idea that everyone can see the match, even if it had a DQ finish, for free, so fans are getting the hyped up match. Page agreed to fly to England and do the match to make up for the hyped match not happening on the PPV. Page will be wrestling against a new opponent, although the name probably won't be announced before the PPV show. The DQ finish kept things open ended enough that PAC may be back with the promotion at some point to face Page, although there is no definitive time frame.

I’m not buying it.

Why would AEW send over Page to England and have PAC standing over Page while mocking him and AEW as Page sells an injured ankle if this isn’t about pushing PAC’s bastard character?

To make it look like Page actually has a shot of losing against whoever his opponent is.

Especially if it ends up being Jake Hager or something (but that's some really murky legal shit).  I just can't think of anyone else that uses an ankle lock that they'd get.

It's not like they're firing Pac or done with using him because of this.

Edited by Tromatagon

2 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

To make it look like Page actually has a shot of losing against whoever his opponent is.

It's not like they're firing Pac or done with using him because of this.

I wonder if PAC agreed months ago to do the job, then Dragon Gate found out recently, and was like “Fuck no, you ain’t jobbing”.

• Like 3

Fuck loyalty imo. Back up the Brinks truck and pay him to be full time. Pac could be a significant piece but if you're going to have to put up with this shit all of the time...

• Like 2

Good way to burn a promotion you might need to work with in the future.  NJPW isn't going to be working with AEW unless they want to dump ROH. 

It's also not like AEW would allow Kenny to go to NJPW to job to say, Ospreay if he was holding the AEW belt. (using Ospreay as closest thing they have to Page)

Having your champ job does make your promotion look minor league, esp if it's to a midcarder. 

16 minutes ago, alstein said:

Good way to burn a promotion you might need to work with in the future.  NJPW isn't going to be working with AEW unless they want to dump ROH. 

It's also not like AEW would allow Kenny to go to NJPW to job to say, Ospreay if he was holding the AEW belt. (using Ospreay as closest thing they have to Page)

Having your champ job does make your promotion look minor league, esp if it's to a midcarder. 

I mean, DG is kinda minor league. Plus, it's a Japanese promotion. Pac, if he were to lose to Page in a competitive contest, wouldn't hurt the promotion in the slightest. Few would even know.

It's like people forget that wrestlers can look just as strong in defeat.

As for AEW, how are they a dumb promotion?! They brought in Pac and booked the match months ago. Pretty fucking weird for 4+ months to go by and NOW they get cold feet.

My guess it's a Visa issue (can't do much about that), Pac was on board but DG squashed it way late in the process, or Pac balked after months of this thing being on the books.

Who really knows for sure at this point. Or it could all be a work. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EVA said:

The underlying buzz seems to be that the story they’re putting out there is a cover for visa issues.  Also, they’ve probably known about it (or at least feared it was a possibility) for a while, which is why it’s been downplayed on BTE lately.

The other thing is that if this is a smokescreen then Meltzer is now in the kayfabe business for his buddies.  I mean sure he has probably done that for others in the past

As far as whether Page should have beaten PAC, I just have this feeling that he will also be the #4 guy in the group unless they head off somewhere else.  I don't see Cody and Kenny just willing to be in the background.  Never been their style.   So having him beat someone as huge as PAC early seemed a reach.    Not saying it isn't a good idea.  Although I understand financially why he didn't, I thought Adam should have taken the WWE shot when offered.  

Uh,  even if it is a work then it would be a stupid move because what do we get on WWE for?   For not delivering on their promises.  The company hasn't had a show yet and they are already not delivering..   I want nothing more than for AEW to succeed but I cannot pretend to like this development. 

• Like 3