Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Nice Guy Eddie

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

Recommended Posts

The domestic violence themed episode of The Wrestlers aired this week. I hadn't thought of Mia Yim since she left Impact, but her being featured here made me wonder, did she ever actually go to NXT, or was she just in a Mae Young Classic tournament and then not signed? Because if she is still just doing indies, that's a bit of a waste. She was in great form in Impact (once she wasn't working with Marti Belle anymore), and then she just left. Between WWE, AEW and Impact, you'd think someone would have roster space for a great worker with mainstream exposure. Especially since AEW did hire Leva Bates. If that's the bar, Mia Yim is way higher.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AxB said:

The domestic violence themed episode of The Wrestlers aired this week. I hadn't thought of Mia Yim since she left Impact, but her being featured here made me wonder, did she ever actually go to NXT, or was she just in a Mae Young Classic tournament and then not signed? Because if she is still just doing indies, that's a bit of a waste. She was in great form in Impact (once she wasn't working with Marti Belle anymore), and then she just left. Between WWE, AEW and Impact, you'd think someone would have roster space for a great worker with mainstream exposure. Especially since AEW did hire Leva Bates. If that's the bar, Mia Yim is way higher.

She was in the NXT Womens Championship match at Takeover last night.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 5, 2019 at 1:02 PM, Technico Support said:

I finally watched the episode on Witch Catch ("voodoo wrestling") in the Congo and I still have no idea what to think about it.

Finally watched it myself and it was fascinating and demonstrates how wrestling is an amazing story telling art that can be adapted and molded by the culture of it's practitioners. That faith healer is easily the most carny character to appear in the series. 

Also "witch catch" just sounds incredibly cool to me for some reason.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, quackhell said:

Finally watched it myself and it was fascinating and demonstrates how wrestling is an amazing story telling art that can be adapted and molded by the culture of it's practitioners. That faith healer is easily the most carny character to appear in the series. 

Also "witch catch" just sounds incredibly cool to me for some reason.

You know you're a master worker when, not only do the marks actually believe you're a witch, but they actually hire you to apply your witchcraft skills to their lives and fix things.  Nobody was calling Tony Anthony to IRL fix a failed sump pump. 

And then the one guy turned on witch catch, aligned himself with a televangelist (a different flavor of carny!), and then worked the "I fight for Jesus" angle.  I mean god damn, that is some next level, through the looking glass work right there.  Fuck.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

You know you're a master worker when, not only do the marks actually believe you're a witch, but they actually hire you to apply your witchcraft skills to their lives and fix things.  Nobody was calling Tony Anthony to IRL fix a failed sump pump. 

And then the one guy turned on witch catch, aligned himself with a televangelist (a different flavor of carny!), and then worked the "I fight for Jesus" angle.  I mean god damn, that is some next level, through the looking glass work right there.  Fuck.

As a Pastor and fellow wrestling nerd...I believed they hot-shotted the booking way too quick. That should have been a showdown for a stadium show, not the neighborhood alley, lol.

Edited by The Great ML
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well come on man.  The alley fight was clearly against the Virgil of the witch crew, a warmup match against the B team.  The eventual stadium show is a match against the witch lady who ate that one guy’s guts and disembowled herself in her apartment.  They can’t show that on Viceland.  They’re saving that for the launch of the Witch Catch Network.

 

Damn.  Now I want somebody to send Meltzer some witch catch to get his thoughts on it.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Mike Johnson, three of the episodes on the 2nd season of Dark Side of Ring will be Dino Bravo, the Benoit murder/suicide, and Brawl for It All .  That last one is a bit strange to include.   Based on a tweet and a picture from them most people believe that Mass Transit/New Jack will also be on the 2nd season

There is apparently a rumor that Herb Abrams is on the 2nd season.   That would be incredible 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping there will also be a second season of The Wrestlers, which I personally enjoyed more than Dark Side of the Ring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are there dates in place to when season 2 will start?  I also loved The Wrestlers but many of my casual fan co-workers love Dark Side of the Ring 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...