DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

JYD also unleashed the horror of "Grab Them Cakes" upon us and should have been tried at The Hague for that abomination.

It was actually a cover! EDIT TO ADD: Captain Chameleon also made "Jive Ol' Foe", which was covered for Slick as "Jive Soul Bro", so... y'know, take one with the other, I suppose.

Edited by Sparkleface
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

It was actually a cover! EDIT TO ADD: Captain Chameleon also made "Jive Ol' Foe", which was covered for Slick as "Jive Soul Bro", so... y'know, take one with the other, I suppose.

Thank you. I never noticed the late 70s/early 80s P-Funk influence (back when George was hitting the drugs even harder and the band started to implode as a result) especially with the proto rapping/talking until you slow it all the way down.

• Like 1

Yep, I’ve seen those original versions and they weird me out, since as far as I can find, Capt Chameleon never did anything outside those two tracks.  But then this guy’s only two songs ever made were BOTH ripped off for WWF albums.  What are the odds?  My best guess is he was a studio guy and was involved in the production of the WWF albums and just re-used his own obscure old stuff.

Edited by Technico Support

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Yep, I’ve seen those original versions and they weird me out, since as far as I can find, Capt Chameleon never did anything outside those two tracks.  But then this guy’s only two songs ever made were BOTH ripped off for WWF albums.  What are the odds?  My best guess is he was a studio guy and was involved in the production of the WWF albums and just re-used his own obscure old stuff.

I swear that I read somewhere that "Capt Chameleon" was an alias for David Wolff, who was heavily involved with the Cyndi Lauper angle and production for The Wrestling Album and Piledriver, and is also listed as a Producer on the credits for those two Capt Chameleon tracks. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, that makes sense.  So “Captain Chameleon” was Wolff trying to make some novelty tracks or cash in, and a few years later he just reused his old stuff.

If it ain't the same dude, there is some guy who doesn't know his work was replicated note for note without his consent and used frequently on WWF television.

• Like 2

The Dynamite Kid talked about being introduced to straight crack by JYD which was way before WCW. A more interesting documentary would be about JYD’s days before WCW and WWF. They wouldn’t have to try to hard to fabricate some doomy nasty stuff from those times if that just has to be a part of things. 

I hope they don’t go where it looks like they’re going with Adonis. Wrestlers who act like girls have been getting booed since the beginning of time. None of them were gay gimmicks. If Adonis was then I missed it, which is possible since I didn’t match alot of WWF. What I always got from the gimmick was just more of the same kind of heat that Brother Love, Johnny B Badd, etc got. 

I’ve met George Clinton more than once. I’m pretty good friends with 1 of his immediate family members. 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 5

Was coming to see if this had been posted already -  happened to catch the article on the Desus & Mero subreddit, and didn't make the connection til I saw a couple of randoms wondering what would become of DSOTR. Really hope those guys land somewhere - outside of wrestling, I thought DSOT 90s was really good what I saw of it.

And your shitty internet reporter take of the day:

He deleted it, eventually. Bloody pillock.

• Haha 3

That's kind of a reach isn't it? Also, the guys behind Dark Side of the Ring wouldn't necessarily be the ones responsible for stiffing staff people on pay. They're documentary filmmakers and they produced a TV show for VICE and VICE Studios. 

• Like 3

It's  a massive reach. Lewis Dangoor is a complete idiot. He exists solely to write "WWE good, all other wrestling bad" articles, that are very badly informed. He's basically a twitter troll who has lucked into turning it into a paying gig.

• Like 2

Vice TV signing off the airwaves for good or rebranding itself as a cooking channel or family movie channel or whatever would be a plus, imo.  Lol, it’s one of the few networks out there where its pro wrestling content is not the scuzziest thing on the channel.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2023 at 6:18 AM, AxB said:

It's  a massive reach. Lewis Dangoor is a complete idiot. He exists solely to write "WWE good, all other wrestling bad" articles, that are very badly informed. He's basically a twitter troll who has lucked into turning it into a paying gig.

So he's like David Bixenspan, except in Bix's world everything is 'Fed Bad!'.

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Vice TV signing off the airwaves for good or rebranding itself as a cooking channel or family movie channel or whatever would be a plus, imo.  Lol, it’s one of the few networks out there where its pro wrestling content is not the scuzziest thing on the channel.

someone needs to bring back El Rey so it can return to it's true mission of airing kung fu movies and Lucha Underground

• Like 3

What IS El Rey playing anymore? Haven't had it since we switched over to Dish. 

Vice News is still airing on HBO so I guess they're getting those out of the way per contract. Dark Side, far as we know, might already be half or all in the can and could be put online.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

What IS El Rey playing anymore?

it stopped airing on cable at the end of 2020 but it launched as a streaming channel in August 2021

As for DSOTR, apparently the Vice Network has plans to make it through this month, at the very least:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...