DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

• 2 weeks later...

I wish Vice would bring back The Wrestlers to balance out the overwhelming negativity and darkness of DSotR.  That one season they did was so fun and cool.  Stop light lucha.  Witch Catch wrestling.  Stardom.  All that.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

In addition to the four mentioned on the previous page of this thread, the other six episodes are:

Adrian Adonis

Doink

Junkyard Dog

Bam Bam Bigelow

Bash at the Beach 2000

Graham Family

• Like 2

I wonder if they get into when Matt Borne tried to kill Arn in a hotel room, fighting the bar room brawl with B. Brian Blair, and the underage girlfriend, which as a result (as it should) broke up the tag team w/ Arn in Georgia and got Matt fired.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't get the JYD and Adonis ones. Adonis got fat and JYD died in a car wreck. What else is there to those guys?

Dog had a major drug problems. He got into a fight with New Jack (according to Jack) over money he owed Jack for drugs. That happened shortly before he (JYD) died. I believe JR says people would see JYD go to the projects for drugs. I believe Ross is going to be in the JYD episode for that reason.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

With Adonis you have his reputation as a legit locker room tough guy (you can bring in Spivey to talk about their locker room fight); the transformation from leather jacket-wearing NYC gang member to morbidly obese Boy George wannabe; his sudden departure from WWF in 1987 as he was starting his singles feud with Brutus; redemption work in AWA and NJPW; and his death in a car crash (there was one survivor -- curious if we will hear from him). 

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Crazy autocorrect for “homophobia?”

For a second I was like "wait, was that a mixup of Adrian Adonis and Jesse Ventura?", then I remembered that Ventura's problems were that his blood clotted too much, not that it didn't clot, then I went and got a snack and forgot the whole thing.

• Haha 3

On 4/26/2023 at 10:48 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dog had a major drug problems. He got into a fight with New Jack (according to Jack) over money he owed Jack for drugs. That happened shortly before he (JYD) died. I believe JR says people would see JYD go to the projects for drugs. I believe Ross is going to be in the JYD episode for that reason.

Yea from about 90 until his death JYD was either real bad off on drugs or clean for short periods. 

I wonder if any mention of the guy roaming MS/TN claiming to be the son of JYD will happen? For years none in the crowd questioned him on this,with some feds only referringg to him as SON OF JYD. 

Then more and more learned that JYD didn't have a son. So if asked this guy will say "Well JYD was never married to my mother" So guessing Son of JYD is saying his mother was eitehr JYD's mistress or a ring rat....

Adonis also had drug issues.

18 minutes ago, bobholly138 said:

Yea from about 90 until his death JYD was either real bad off on drugs or clean for short periods. 

I wonder if any mention of the guy roaming MS/TN claiming to be the son of JYD will happen? For years none in the crowd questioned him on this,with some feds only referringg to him as SON OF JYD. 

Then more and more learned that JYD didn't have a son. So if asked this guy will say "Well JYD was never married to my mother" So guessing Son of JYD is saying his mother was eitehr JYD's mistress or a ring rat....

Adonis also had drug issues.

I haven't heard of the guy, but given that it's wrestling, there is a case to be made about the number of potential illegitimate children just out there. On the strength of that alone, you can make a number of Dark Side episodes I imagine. You can use Mid-South as an example where it's a territory that covered a bunch of ground and most of it economically depressed. Sharecropping was still happening in the area of Mississippi I come from until not too long ago and Mid-South ran in that area (Jerry Jarrett's Memphis territory would have been running the towns just north of it). Pro wrestling was one of the few viable entertainment options thus making you a huge celebrity locally. You can live a double life (or a quadruple life for all we know) and no one be the wiser. 

Presumably the Stan Lane rumor would likely be the most notorious illegitimate wrestling child in the modern era. Historically, I guess you have Jerry Jarrett, Victor Quinones and Gino Hernandez as the biggest candidates. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

My phone always autocorrects "well" to "we'll" and I want to throw it out a window.  BOTH ARE LEGIT WORDS APPLE FUCK YOOOOOOUUUU.

Android thinks that the singular possessive pronoun "its" doesn't exist and that every instance of that word is the contraction for "it is."

It also does that "well/we'll" thing. 

In conclusion, autocorrect is the devil. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk. 

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Presumably the Stan Lane rumor would likely be the most notorious illegitimate wrestling child in the modern era. Historically, I guess you have Jerry Jarrett, Victor Quinones and Gino Hernandez as the biggest candidates. 

Who is Jarrett supposed to be the son of? Context wise I assume it is Nick Gulas or maybe Roy Welch, but I don't think I ever heard that one.

On 4/27/2023 at 1:40 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I don't get the JYD and Adonis ones

From the latest Wrestling With Sin: "Teddy Long recalls being on the road with WCW managing Doom of Butch Reed and Ron Simmons. They were in St. Louis hanging out with the Junkyard Dog and looking to party. They all met up with a local drug dealer who was a wrestling fan and the dealer invited the wrestlers back to his place. While in the dealer’s home, they all did a bunch of cocaine. The dealer allowed them all the coke they wanted, with JYD allegedly doing the most out of the group. Not only did JYD do a ton of cocaine, he also ate the dealer out of house and home.

The wrestlers ended up partying all night long without sleep and had to get to the arena for a show the next day. Long claimed that the whole ride there, the boys continued to do coke. As they were parked in the lot, the Steiner brothers popped out of nowhere scaring Long who accidentally spilled cocaine all over his rental car. Long, Reed, Simmons and JYD decided to skip the show and returned to the dealer’s house to party some more."

It's only one, tame, anecdote, but I think it's illustrative.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

*ronsimmonsdamn.gif*

To be fair to all parties involved:

1. If it's four black guys just driving around any part of Missouri, I dunno if you want to be driving around with potentially undiscovered cocaine you missed in the cleanup process. That is a dicey situation even with no drugs or drug paraphernalia if the cops pull you over. That could have been even more disastrous with all that. That would have been up there with Ken Patera and the boulder and Duggan/Iron Sheik. 

2. At that point in WCW, there was probably more people at the dope house than were probably going to be at that show. I would have missed it too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

JYD also unleashed the horror of "Grab Them Cakes" upon us and should have been tried at The Hague for that abomination.

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

At that point in WCW, there was probably more people at the dope house than were probably going to be at that show. I would have missed it too.

Seriously, they should have just moved the show there.  Clash of the Champions: Row for the Blow.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1