DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

That might be a hair under Florida, or a hair over, as far as quality goes. It had a way more positive feeling despite the low-blow with Mia getting deported. Downtown Bruno looks totally different and seemed like a really, really nice guy, and I had no idea about the OG Prince Iaukea who seems like a swell dude too. My only disappointment was no Mark Lewin stories! If only Gary Hart were alive and on that panel...

50 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That might be a hair under Florida, or a hair over, as far as quality goes. It had a way more positive feeling despite the low-blow with Mia getting deported. Downtown Bruno looks totally different and seemed like a really, really nice guy, and I had no idea about the OG Prince Iaukea who seems like a swell dude too. My only disappointment was no Mark Lewin stories! If only Gary Hart were alive and on that panel...

You might know him better as Abudda Dien. 

Add Princess Victoria to the list of pro wrestlers who look/sound like they could have lived in my neighborhood growing up (she didn't, literally, of course). Victoria brings the energy of someone who smokes on their front porch and yells at kids if they're being idiots around her property.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Mike Masters died? That's a kick in the nuts to end a fairly light-hearted episode. He looked healthy and fairly youthful for whatever age he was. It was also cool to see that Chris Masters' gimmick had its own origin story. 

Just think, if you have the Portland set, you are merely a couple degrees removed from the Playboy himself. Bless the man. 

Luke Williams has morphed into a cartoon character based on his nose alone. 

• Like 1

Unless there was something I missed, they didn't directly mention that the Buddy Rose marriage to Matt Borne's sister involved alleged domestic violence, but that could explain another reason why Matt Borne would be really unhappy with the situation.

CageMatch only has 2 Rose/Borne matches after 1984 (both in 1988), so their paths didn't exactly cross much later on.

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just think, if you have the Portland set, you are merely a couple degrees removed from the Playboy himself. Bless the man. 

I need to see if any of those GoodHelmet Portland sets are out there.  Granted there is a ton of Portland on Youtube but if it is anything like the Texas set than I should have gotten it.   

The Grappler/Nord the Barbarian/Brian Adams was incredible.    I can only imagine how much it hurts to get hit with a full jug of milk.   

Is there any story on why the announcer on the final TV tapings had one of the most obvious toupees possible.  He couldn't have thought that was good.  

Next week is Texas and given that David Manning is on I figure the BS meter will be high on this. 

Edited by hammerva

Another part of the Portland story that wasn’t mentioned which maybe the panel didn’t know a lot about is that Portland Wrestling’s main sponsor, Tom Peterson (“Free is a very good price”), filed for bankruptcy a year before the promotion went under.

Peterson was sorta the Mattress Mack of Portland. Only he didn’t make a comeback to perpetually bet money on the Trail Blazers winning the NBA title.

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

Is there any story on why the announcer on the final TV tapings had one of the most obvious toupees possible.  He couldn't have thought that was good.  

That was Don Owen himself and for god's sake everybody at that point had to know the man was bald. There's no need to wear roadkill on one's head.

I'm glad they didn't bring up Art Barr because this could have been a lot sleazier. Sucks enough to hear Buddy beat his wife up above.

Edited by Curt McGirt

There’s probably some Indy promoters who’d hear about shows being run in a bowling alley that would envy Portland having such a nice building.

The abandoned K-Mart near my house would be my first choice of a site for a hastily converted arena. Good parking. But it would essentially be like wheeling bleachers into a flea market building.

The Berzerker telling the Masked Grappler, "Have you ever been hit with a gallon of milk? Try it sometime" is a sentence that I never thought that I would type. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

I need to see if any of those GoodHelmet Portland sets are out there.  Granted there is a ton of Portland on Youtube but if it is anything like the Texas set than I should have gotten it.   

The Grappler/Nord the Barbarian/Brian Adams was incredible.    I can only imagine how much it hurts to get hit with a full jug of milk.   

Next week is Texas and given that David Manning is on I figure the BS meter will be high on this. 

The Portland set is really good. I bought one from him a couple years ago, so if you PM here or at PWO, you might be in luck.

He was really good about getting it out even with the ravages of COVID.

I wonder if they tried to get Ed Wiskowski on the show. He may someone with health issues. 

Related to that, Dutch said he thought Dundee might not have been well enough to do the Memphis episode. I know we were wondering about him.

• Thanks 1