DVDVR Message Board

Lackluster Debuts

Web Conn

Seven was such an interesting gimmick... just the worst possible person doing it. If this was some new guy who we had never seen before? Awesome. But this was Dustin Rhodes who A) had been in WCW for years before this and B) had just come off his WWF run as Goldust. Everybody knew who it was so it has zero chance of getting over from the start. Throw Sean O'Haire in that same gimmick though, and who knows...

In recent memory, the Wyatt Family. I don't even remember if it was against Kane or R-Truth. Still don't know what exactly is being done with them.

I'll second this. Since the night they debuted I really want to like them. Bray can obviously talk. I've read great things about Harper. But when I see Harper and Rowan wrestle all I see is slow and plodding big guy offense. It's a campier version of D.O.A.

• Like 3

Which wrestling debuts do you think fell flat? I'll start off the thread with Bobby Lashleys debut into TNA he just stands there and points

It seems like 90% of TNAs debuts are guys walking down the ramp and just standing there.  Bobby did a ton by comparison.  

Seconded. I'm hard pressed to think of TNA debuts that WEREN'T a guy standing and pointing.

Jeff Hardy's TNA debut for the start of the NEW MONDAY NIGHT WARS was god awful. One of the biggest aces you could put on the table and you waste him by...I think hitting Homicide and then climbing a cage? Wut?

No video to link to but when CMLL switched rising young star Fugaz from that gimmick to his current Ramstein gimmick back in 2001 he was set for a huge push. However in his debut match he botched a dive so badly and to make it worse he injured himself. 12 years later he is still working opening matches without ever having received a second chance for a push... and to make matters worse the incident is so well remembered the announcers constantly mention it when he appears on TV or when they are discussing awful debuts. Sucks to be Ramstein.

Wasn't it AT Starrcade 97, as the special guest referee? He had to reverse the fast count, that wasn't actually a fast count, to screw Hogan and give Sting the belt.

If you want to give an example of people not being allowed to run a wrestling promotion, they blow probably the biggest angle of all time with the biggest match they had, and they blow it on a fast count that was slow, and the babyface needing a second chance to beat the bad guy.

God.. WCW.