DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Remember 11, River and Amy rebooted the Universe in the finale of Series 5 too, so we might finally be seeing reprocussions of them fucking with that.

EDIT:Spoilered because I just now realize that there are people in here that haven't watched any NuWho.

*raises hand* I watched up through "Father's Day" (though apparently I missed "Dalek" because I had no memory of anything that happened in it) on the original US airings on SciFi, gave the fuck up aside from the big screening of "Night Terrors" at Dragoncon 2011 and have only come back in the last two weeks.  So while I know who Amy, Rory, River Song etc. are I know basically nothing about the actual story of those eras.

Also: because I have impulse control problems, I bought the 80-comic bundle of all IDW's NuWho material (except for the last four issues of Prisoners of Time) when they were on sale for $50 over the weekend.  I'm given to understand that the quality fluctuates WILDLY, and there are both some very good and very bad stories in there, but since IDW's license is about to run out I said fuck it and went all-in.   I will be starting with the Star Trek TNG crossover, because DUH.

Re: Doctors not remembering interactions with one another-

Time Crash does kinda debunk the idea that it's always that way, but in this instance, I just felt like they threw that in so that it wouldn't alter the NuWho continuity. If they all remembered, then none of the episodes with 9/10/11 being mopey about the Time War would make sense anymore. 

Speaking of the five(ish) doctors reboot, what was the deal with Olivia Coleman at the beginning? Does she have a WHO connection outside of appearing in The Eleventh Hour?

The only reason I ask is she was talking to Sean Pertwee at the start, and they referenced they should both be in it, making it seem like they both had a connection, not just Sean's dad.

I am of the humble opinion that "Vincent and The Doctor" is some of the best 45 minutes of TV, I have ever seen.

You would be correct, absolutely correct.

It's just sad that the rest of the 11th Doctor's run wasn't quite like that (although there were other strong episodes as well).

Speaking of the five(ish) doctors reboot, what was the deal with Olivia Coleman at the beginning? Does she have a WHO connection outside of appearing in The Eleventh Hour?

The only reason I ask is she was talking to Sean Pertwee at the start, and they referenced they should both be in it, making it seem like they both had a connection, not just Sean's dad.

Being in broadchurch with Tennant?

I am of the humble opinion that "Vincent and The Doctor" is some of the best 45 minutes of TV, I have ever seen.

You would be correct, absolutely correct.

It's just sad that the rest of the 11th Doctor's run wasn't quite like that (although there were other strong episodes as well).

Matt Smith's first series is his best one.

• Like 1

The writing on Smith's first series was much tighter and they weren't as concerned as trying to tell this overarching Epic with the Silence. I liked the mystery of of that series  (the cracks in time and space and how The Doctor was responsible for it) and it just had some really great fun episodes. It was like everything after "The Big Bang" has been a maddening descent into mediocrity.

James

• Like 1

Not sure if this is of interest to anybody, but the 50th Anniversary special did about $5 million on Monday at the US box office.  Played for one night only in 660 theaters.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that's NCM Fathom's biggest event of the year by a wide margin. Wish I'd gotten to go.

• Like 1

*sigh* I couldn't help myself...

Smith is indeed the 13th and final Doctor. Moffett was able to tell the story of the final* Doctor.

*I don't want to say anything else, but it should be obvious that he isn't really the final Doctor.

So sixteen eps in, I finally have an opinion on Rose.  That opinion is: I don't care.  I don't get why she's so popular, I don't get why the minority that dislike her are so rabid.  She doesn't make me want to throw shit at the wall, she doesn't really do anything for me.  She's just kind of there, and there have been far better and far worse companions.

bbc radio norfolk doc about local folks w dr who connection, incl;uding a guy from the radiophonics workshop and someone who played a cyberman.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01l3jg9/BBC_Radio_Norfolk_Special_Norfolks_Doctor_Who_Stories/