DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

BBC Radio Times makes the case that the Doctor's new gear is basically a (late 60s, pre-National Front) Skinhead outfit, minus the shaved head.  I don't know that much about the traditional skin movement; I know that the neo-Nazi angle was a small splinter faction in the UK (and a larger one in the US) but got all the press and created a misconception Stateside, but I don't really know anything about its ethos and ideals.  Still, "The Doctor is a skinhead" is going to go over REALLY WEIRD in the US if it gets any traction among the hand-wringers.

I have hit the end of what's on Amazon Prime.  Next paycheck will bring the second "half" of Series Seven.  I was well past ready for the Ponds to go, much as I love them (I am feeling much the same about Charley Pollard, over whom I was raving a few weeks ago), so trust Moffat to take them out of the picture in the most gut-wrenching fashion possible.  At this point, I think it's a big mistake to keep a single companion around more than a season and a half or so, no matter how beloved they may be.  At that point, the companion dominates the series so much that the longer she's around, the more the change will jar and potentially alienate the audience.

Man, River talking to Amy about never letting the Doctor see that you're hurting because of his friendship was pretty amazing.  As silly as her story seems, I think at this point I have to confess that I am grudgingly pro-River.

Someone asked on the Big Finish podcast this week if they would ever do any more Frobisher stories?

Briggs said the first one was one of their lowest selling titles ever and only picked up when people began noticing Rob Sherman as a DOctor Who writer.

Someone asked on the Big Finish podcast this week if they would ever do any more Frobisher stories?

Briggs said the first one was one of their lowest selling titles ever and only picked up when people began noticing Rob Sherman as a DOctor Who writer.

Not having heard either of them, that doesn't really surprise me.  I kind of get the feeling that a sizable chunk of the fandom devoted enough to follow BF or the old novels doesn't look kindly on some of the wackier Marvel material.  But the fact that "Maltese Penguin" (which sounds phenomenal) was a webcast-and-subscriber-bonus rather than a regular monthly would seem to indicate they didn't want to use him again after "Holy Terror" unless someone else was footing the pointy bill. (They should seriously talk to Disney about how much it'd cost for a one-time appearance by Death's Head, though...I'd jump on that Kickstarter in a heartbeat. And I'd be the only one who did.)

I am now down to "Name of the Doctor" in my catch-up marathon on TV, and "Memory Lane" in Eighth Doctor audio--so I'll be bidding adieu to C'Rizz and Charley this coming week at work.  As much as I love Charley, I'll be glad to see her go for much the same reason I was glad that Amy and Rory's story finally came to an end.  Having her be "the" companion for the vast majority of Eight's stories means that she dominates his entire narrative in a way that bugs me deep down.  The fact that 8 is the only one whose stories tell a single, overarching and chronological story up through "Next Life" probably doesn't help too much; I think I may just have gotten fatigued by that story more than the character.  (So I'll probably eventually pick up her Colin Baker stories or the solo adventures.)  Still weighing whether to spring for the first season of New Adventures next, or pick another Doctor and get all his $3 adventures.

Two things:

1. I saw an alleged poster for the first Capaldi episode last week. Is it a fake?

2. Any gamers think Jenna Coleman should play Elizabeth Comstock if they did a Bioshock: Infinite movie?

I'm finally caught up on Modern Who TV. I definitely liked the Christmas special more than most of my friends, but even so I would only call it decent to pretty good. I am super glad I finally gave the new series a shot, and hope for another US premiere at Dragoncon this year (we got one in 2011, two hours before the BBCA broadcast, but in 2012 and 2013 there wasn't a new ep Labor Day weekend.)

"The Girl Who Never Was" managed to turn the departure of a companion i thought I was tired of into a massive gut punch. Even with the cliffhanger so obvious that they used different theme music at the end, it was still pretty harsh. I do think it's hilarious that within ten minutes, we got two different plot points that would show up on TV years later.

I find myself kind of dreading the Mary Shelley trilogy, and I don't know why. I haven't heard anyone trash talk it, but something about the concept inspires the opposite of faith.

Next up for me classic series wise is Tomb of the Cybermen.

• 4 weeks later...

Any of the Big Finish listeners have anything to say about the Graceless spinoff?  It's heavily discounted this weekend and I was weighing one box set of that at $10 versus an ep of Fourth or New Eighth.  The presence of David FUCKING Warner perked my ears up.