DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

OK, I just watched the leaked version of "Deep Breath" and I'll be damned if Moffat hasn't hit it out of the park yet again.  (Is it wrong to use a baseball metaphor to describe a British tv show?) Without spoiling anything, I'm just going to say you'll laugh, you'll cry, and any n00b "fan" who complained about Capaldi being too old can kiss my taint.

Oh yeah, and the scripts are legit. 

• 2 weeks later...

So far, nearly all the Big Finish $1 and $5 items have been things I already own. Hopefully we'll get a decent deal on the New 8th stuff before the end, as I only have Season One.

Anyone read the comics yet? I'm still not crazy about the way Titan is doing things; were I in charge, I'd probably have one series with the current Doctor (11 until Capaldi's first season ends) and one ongoing or continuous-stream-of-minis-and-one-shots rotating among the other past Doctors, like the 90s BBC Books "8th Doctor Adventures" and "Past Doctor Adventures" tandem.

Given that IDW were able to use the classic stuff ages ago (including the "Forgotten" miniseries) as well as referencing Big Finish stuff (Charley gets brought up at least once during the 10th Doctor ongoing), I can't imagine that Titan have LESS freedom if they spent enough money to prevent IDW from renewing.

Like, best actor outside the show? Troughton without a doubt, toss up between Troughton/Baker for who inhabited the role best.

Just best actor all around--on the show and off. Baker is probably my favourite Doctor, but I don't think he's as good of an actor as some of them. I don't know how well he'd do in other roles.

I seem to recall Moffat arguing that Davison was the best of the original actors, and supported it by pointing out that he's the only one who had a robust career afterwards.

Eccleston and Tennant definitely have to be considered.

Davison was also the youngest classic doctor, so had more time for a career after the show, than Certainly hartnell or troughton.

Having just watched the two discovered Troughton episodes recently, he really was great in the role. enemy of the world is great to see him playing the Doctor and the dictator Salamander.