• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Holy Crap! "Space Babies" was terrible! 

Like "Spock's Brain" level terrible!

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed Space Babies though it was also really dumb.

Dug the third episode a lot more.

Spoiler

Did not expect them to be hitting back on Toymaker/Pantheon stuff so soon or Ruby to connect to it. I kind of like that these beings are so far beyond the Doctor's expectations that they scare the shit out of even him. It was also kind of neat to see the Doctor technically lose and others have to save the day. Also guessing that lady at the end of the first episode is the granddaughter.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Man, Doctor Who has really dropped for me after Peter Capaldi/Steven Moffat left. Jodie Whittaker/Chris Chibnall was terrible. Ncuti Gatwa/Russell T Davies isn't doing it for me either.

Edited by The Natural

RTD is definitely back, which if he was your thing that you should be all good, even if he did hit you over the head with the "THERE'S ALL KINDS OF SHIT THAT'S GONNA TIE IN TO THE FINALE!" 4th wall breaking in Ep3.  Also looks like we're getting ANOTHER RTD "Time Lords were all wiped out" but fuck knows when that actually happened.  Unless The Master Cybermen'd ALL of them, I doubt he's the final one again.

I'm ok with it so far, but it sees like RTD is just flooring it to avoid making the mistake Chibnall did with starting 15 at a Glacial pace.  Gatwa is fucking fantastic though.

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Generally solid

7 hours ago, Nomad said:

It was Ncuti's best episode so far. Teaser for next week looks good too.

Cheers, lads.

I watched Space Babies and I didn’t hate it. My experience probably benefited from extremely lowered expectations. The worst part wasn’t even the talking babies: it was WHO’s longtime issues of an abrasive score and shitty editing.

I watched The Devil’s Chord and had a similar reaction. It was fine—better than 95% of Chibnal episodes. Thought Jinkx Monsoon was quite good.

One thing I prefer about “classic” Who is that the stories aren’t *about* the Doctor and his companion. There’s typically a full-fledged story that the Doctor stumbles into—then, he acts as a sort of catalyst/agent of chaos that draws things to a conclusion. It’s rare for New Who to really care about the supporting characters.

Thi week’s episode was quite good, though the ending lost me a bit.  Actress playing Ruby had to take the bulk of the ep and handled herself well enough.  Last week’s episode was fairly strong too.  Nothing good to say about “Space Babies” and the other two eps with Gatwa were average. I feel like there’s a lot to like about Gatwa’s performance so far, but silly manic Who isn’t something that interests me much.

Next week looks like a return to standard Who fluff.  We’ll see if I make it past that.  I’m not a huge fan of classic or nu-Who so five episodes is usually about as far as I make it before I give up on a season.  If Peter Capaldi couldn’t keep me interested for an entire season, the odds Gatwa will aren’t high.

Brevoort described it like a TZ episode and that it had what he calls “a bridge to nowhere” where the ending just collapses and tarnishes the whole story. 

That depends on where the rest of the season goes and what we learn about her.

I liked it. The ending wasn't one where I thought "oh, that was pointless", it was "oh, I wonder whats still to come".

The whole run has been setting up her revelation.

If I had a dollar for everytime someone thought a character was going to The Rani or Susan…

but, we did FINALLY get the Celestial Toymaker. 

Actually I'm pretty sure the old lady neighbor is Susan. They finally talked about her during The Devil's Chord.

Ruby seems more related to the Pantheon based on how the Maestro reacted to her at one point.

This week episode might be my favorite so far. That was fucked up and dark at the end. Kind of digging what Davies is building around humanity of the future. It feels wrong but also kind of right in terms of how we could easily end up so split apart.

We saw 73 Yards and Dot and Bubble this week and they're good Davies episodes, 73 Yards is even a great one, but at the end my 11 year old had three or four questions from plot holes or things that didn't make sense or things that felt good in the moment but didn't stand up to even a little bit of scrutiny. Davies is such an incredible hack. I'd almost liken him to someone like Russo in his inability to think things through and to basically come up with 3/5th of an idea and then just plaster a bunch of "cool stuff" around it. And it works, mostly, but it also leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Because it could be better, even amazing, if he just took the care to tighten things up and ask a few questions and figure out how to answer them.

• Like 1