DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

After really liking the first 2 specials... I didn't care for the 3rd. They refuse to move on from Tennant and I think that is a real problem BUT I think I'm going to enjoy Gatwa despite that.

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2

I was struck by how much Neil Patrick Harris resembled Michael Gough as The Celestial Toymaker.

Usually there's a period for me to warm up to a new Doctor, but they hit the ground running with this debut.

Ncuti has a very likable personality which will serve him well in this role.

Hope the companion doesn't derail things.

• Like 1

Dug the first half getting over how dangerous the Toymaker is. The Toymaker's entrance/introduction to UNIT was fantastically dumb in an amusing way yet still managed to really put over the threat. NPH was fun in the roll, and its shame it is probably a one and done for him.

Like what I saw of the newest Doctor so far. Gives off good vibes and it will be nice to move on for now from the darker aspects of what the Flux and it's revelations. Hopefully the new companion is good and has nice chemistry with Gatwa.

Only thing I wasn't particularly fond of was the bi-generation. I love Tennant, but he does not need to stick around. Still as much I say and think that I know I will probably enjoy whatever episode he eventually shows back up in, especially if the niece is his companion instead of Donna. I just dislike that feel of RTD keeping a break in case of emergency Doctor. It does Gatwa no favors.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode and the theme of the specials overall. They managed feel a decent bit character based while not feeling overly gloomy which I thought Moffat and Chibnal would enter too often. Despite the tease I do hope we don't see the Master again for a long while as they have been overused a decent bit. 

• Like 2

I didn’t love the bi-generation, but NuWho is 18 years old at this point, so I don’t blame them for trying new things (even if the new things seem a lot like old things).

They’ve already retconned the Doctor into having lived multiple lives before the First Doctor,  said that he’s not really from Gallifrey, and killed off all of the Time Lords and turned them into super cybermen, or whatever. So this ain’t much.

• Like 1

In the lead up to the Toymaker's return, the Doctor Who YouTube channel put up his original appearance and I was shocked to find he was played by Michael Gough. Gough was a great Alfred Pennyworth in the Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher Batman films.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Control said:

They’ve already retconned the Doctor into having lived multiple lives before the First Doctor,  said that he’s not really from Gallifrey, and killed off all of the Time Lords and turned them into super cybermen, or whatever. So this ain’t much.

There was a scene in the Tom Baker era story, The Brain of Morbius, where other faces are shown to be the Doctor.

Is that what you're referring to as the retcon?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

There was a scene in the Tom Baker era story, The Brain of Morbius, where other faces are shown to be the Doctor.

Is that what you're referring to as the retcon?

I was thinking more specifically of the Chibnal era, since they pretty much ignored that earlier instance, to the extent that a major plot point for the Matt Smith era was having to get more regenerations because he was already at 13.

I know Tennant is a super fan and would likely always come back when asked, but can’t they just let his Doctor go? First, the stupid human doctor with Rose and now this. Being a time traveler means the Tenth Doctor could appear whenever you need him to show up, without this convoluted stuff.

• Like 1

It's the Avengers/Spider-Man issue, right? Whenever there's a big enough threat in modern day London, the question will arise why Tennant isn't there to help. Past that, I think we're supposed to look at it as a temporary thing and that Ncuti is so well balanced because of this "therapy" that Tennant is going through earlier in his lives. It's more of a question of why he doesn't remember this and the Doctor crossing his own timeline than there being two Doctors from how I understood it? Not splitting the TARDIS would have solved some of these issues. Or having it so that the two TARDISes were one TARDIS at different times and couldn't be in the same moment at the same time kind of deal. Davies was never good at thinking this stuff through. He always wanted the emotional beat and not any sort of ironclad story one. It's why the very best NuWho were the Moffat written episodes in Davies' run seasons.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

About to watch Gatwa's first special. Really enjoyed the 14th specials and having Tennant and Tate back. I'm a bit mixed on the whole bi-generation thing, but willing to see where they go with it. 

LOVED Neil Patrick Harris as The Toymaker. I thought the setup and build in the first half were great. Felt like classic nu-era Doctor Who and that burning ventriloquist puppet was so creepy. I like how Doctor explained that the giggle signal was beaming to us but the rage and hate from humanity was still genuine. 

I think Special #3 just needed about 20 more minutes to really sell the Toymaker threat. Felt like everything was wrapped up too easily.

What I've seen so far, I'm enjoying what Gatwa is doing so far. Hope he gets a good run. My best advice for him, Davies, and co is just stay off social media and don't listen to the haters. You are never going to be able to please everbody, especially those who will try to profit off the show using their hatred.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

Ncuti is great - tbh I only just realised a few days ago that Eric from Sex Education is the Doctor and now my gf actually wants to watch Doctor Who.

The f'n comicbook/scifi culture war YouTube grifters are the worst...well actually they're probably the least worst of all the culture war YouTube grifters, but ther weak shit should be paid absolutely no mind nonetheless.

I thought Gatwa's first special was great. I think Ruby is going to make for a good companion as well. My only issue is it felt like they were meandering after they returned to Ruby's foster home the first time.

Gatwa's got charisma and it feels like he's making the role his own. The glove trick was neat. I feel like the Doctor doesn't use cool gadgets like this often enough in nu-Who, besides the sonics.

The goofy meta moments with Davina McCall and Mrs. Flood made this a kind of feel-good Doctor Who Christmas special. Good start to 15th's run. I think what I struggled with on Capaldi's run is that his debut special I found to be rather rough.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...