DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

I have to say I rather enjoyed this weeks episode. That may or may not be because there was a little less John Bishop to weigh it down. 

Spoiler

Next week though, Jemma Redgrave! I'd love her as companion for a while.

On 11/21/2021 at 3:47 PM, Nomad said:

I have to say I rather enjoyed this weeks episode. That may or may not be because there was a little less John Bishop to weigh it down. 

Reveal hidden contents

Next week though, Jemma Redgrave! I'd love her as companion for a while.

What's wrong with Bishop?  I feel like he's a definite improvement from the last crop of dull companions.  it pain me to say that.  I was excited when Bradley Walsh joined the cast.

I've liked Bishop so far, though I should point out that i half-watch the show while checking email and surfing the internet, so I'm not sure how accurate my impression of the episodes is.

My biggest issue with Bishop is the constantly exasperated scouse delivery, I find it grating in a series that also has Jodie's hyper, breathless speech.

I should add that I don't blame the actors for this, it's a decision that comes from above.

I was excited for Walsh as well. I've been watching him on tv for about 25 years and he is one of the most naturally funny people ever. He is also a really good actor. But you wouldn't think either of those things watching Dr Who.

• Like 1

Never seen Walsh in anything before so maybe that helped, but I liked Walsh's character and his grandson as well. It was good to see what was effectively normal people experiencing the craziness of the Doctor's life instead of what had kind of become the norm with those who crave it.

The current arc leaves me constantly confused but interested in seeing whats next.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I think I’m all caught up, having seen the first five episodes:

-ep 1 was intriguing and fine at setting things up.
-the more self-contained episodes, 2 and 4, are the best episodes of Whitaker’s run
-3 and 5 were listless, but I guess we won’t be able to fully evaluate them until the storyline ends

It really seems to me that they could have used the same setup, maybe dropped one or two storylines, and made a much stronger season. They could have structured it in such a way that you got much more distinct storyblocks. So, for example, episode five could have been almost entirely an Indiana Jones-style adventure with Yasmin and the crew. Maybe the third episode could have been a space quest with Bei, Vinder, and the Grand Serpent. Or whatever. It just seems like the exact same setup could have been streamlined and created more easily distinguishable parts.

Having not one but four game master types (Awsok, Azure, Swarm, and the Grand Serpent) is a bit much.

If you've read my other posts in this thread it won't come as much of a shock that I didn't enjoy the finale.  I just don't "get" it.  Like, I really don't understand what I just watched.  Am I really dense?

The first of the final three for Jodie is New Years Day called "Eve of the Daleks".

I enjoyed the finale though I wouldn't call it good. Too much going on, not quite enough answers, and the universe left in a questionable state. Feels like the damage of the Flux was kind of ignored at the end with how happy everyone was.

You know what? I enjoyed the entire season. It had a real 80s serial vibe for me with the cliffhangers and even some of the lighting and scenery and I don't know. I just got that vibe. I thought it was hugely ambitious, balancing both multiple villains/stories/timelines/arcs with the character stuff and some lore stuff. The last few years... maybe even everything since Moffat's first or second season has felt phoned in and lazy. A decade of laziness and just doing Doctor Who, which is fine, but at least they tried something big here. It didn't always make sense but then again neither did Bad Wolf or a thousand other things in the show's history. The show is quite frequently nonsense. It's built into the DNA but at least this was entertaining nonsense. I liked all three companions and thought McNally was having a blast as Jericho. It just worked. I guess I'm not particularly sure what people want Doctor Who to be if not this? I know people who loved Doctor Who best when it was about the romance between the Doctor and Rose, so I get it if that's what people want. But Flux felt like the Doctor-Who-Iest thing ever to me. Like injecting Doctor Who into your veins.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The best part of that episode was the trailer for the next one.

And I don't really mean that the episode was too bad, it was fine. Just nothing special. But I am stoked for the October (?) episode.

• Like 1

The episode would have been better if the doctor and yaz had ANY chemistry at all. I would take virtually any New who companion over her, except donna. The villians looked like refugees from old school power rangers. Still a decent watch. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The next Doctor just announced...

_124639028_gettyimages-1385052638.jpg

Ncuti Gatwa will take over from Jodie Whittaker as the star of Doctor Who, the BBC has announced.

The 29-year-old will become the 14th Time Lord on the popular science fiction show, and the first non-white actor to play the lead role.

Scottish actor Gatwa, who was born in Rwanda, is best known for starring in Netflix's sitcom Sex Education.

He said he was "deeply honoured, beyond excited and of course a little bit scared".

He added: "This role and show means so much to so many around the world, including myself, and each one of my incredibly talented predecessors has handled that unique responsibility and privilege with the utmost care.

"I will endeavour my upmost to do the same."

Showrunner Russell T Davies said Gatwa "dazzled us" in his audition.

"Sometimes talent walks through the door and it's so bright and bold and brilliant, I just stand back in awe and thank my lucky stars," Davies said.

The Queer As Folk and It's A Sin writer is returning as the programme's showrunner after departing the show in 2009.

Whittaker took over as the Time Lord in 2017 as the first female doctor.

Never heard of Gatwa. Hopefully he and Davies can right the Tardis after the awful Whittaker/Chibnal tenure.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

As a huge fan of the series Sex Education, and a fan of his work playing Eric on that series, this is an incredible casting. If you all haven’t watched Sex Education on Netflix, I really encourage you to do so. It’s awesome. His character is awesome. 

• Like 2

Gatwa is inspired casting and few people are happier than I am to see a black Doctor, but the actors aren't the problem.   The writing needs to get back on track.  I feel that the best thing going for Gatwa is that he has the chops to drag lackluster episodes across the finish line like Smith and Tennant did.  Capaldi and Whittaker's worst episodes were the best cure for insomnia.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I hadn't heard of him either so it was a bit of a surprise to find out he went to high school near here.

I'm very happy for the guy and wish him the best but as J.T. said the actors were never the problem. I have high hopes for RTD righting the ship.

• Like 2