DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

I hate Children of Earth. It's edgy for the sake of it and goes to senseless extremes just because they know they could get away with it, unrestrained from the necessities of ongoing plotting. Laziest writing in the world and not clever in the least. 

Rewatched The Deadly Assassin, the first serial I ever saw. It's still got some really excellent parts, but the absence of a companion hurts the pacing and exposition badly. 20 years later (well. 20 years since I first saw it, the ep itself is as old as I am) it's kind of odd to me that something that now feels like a bone being thrown to long timers was what I needed to get me hooked. I suspect that the deck clearing of the RTD era would've gone down better with me had I started with "Face of Evil" and only come back to TDA much later when I saw seasons 12 and 13 and the first half of 14. Then again, I'm starting to think that my problem with the Eccleston season as it aired had less to do with "they took away all the cool myths stuff" and more "the Slitheen episodes are awful, Father's Day has never worked for me and i missed the best eps of the season." Had I stuck it out for the whole season, I would've come around much sooner regardless as more good eps piled up and it became evident that that deck clearing was a lot more illusory than it seems.

Audio wise, I am at the halfway point of the Divergence. I've enjoyed three of the four stories (Twilight Kingdom was pretty dull until the last twenty minutes), but I will be very happy to see them get the TARDIS back, do whatever needs to happen to make the Doctor no longer dangerous to time, and get back to our universe. And yet, Scherzo and History of Fear were both excellent examples of making best use of the traits of the medium to do a story that would never work in prose or on TV.

I've got two stories of the Divergence left.  I've enjoyed every episode save "Twilight Kingdom" on an individual level, but the arc as a whole has just dragged WAY too long.  If we'd gotten more formalist experiments and weirdness a la "Scherzo" and "Natural History of Fear" I might have enjoyed it more.  NHoF, by the way, was FUCKING GLORIOUS and it's just a shame that it's completely inappropriate as a way to introduce someone to Who or Big Finish.

I'm still not sure what to do after "Scaredy Cat."  If 1-50 are still on sale, I'll probably pick one of the other three Doctors and buy those cheap episodes.  If not, I may buy the first season of New Adventures/Lucie or the first season of Fourth Doctor rather than getting the nine McGann monthlies I don't have yet. 

Got nine episodes left of the modern series before I run out of Amazon Prime content and have to either spend money, employ Nefarious Means or just be patient.

FYI: Today only, in celebration of Tom Baker's 80th, all Fourth Doctor audio (apparently including his chunk of "Destiny of the Doctor" which doesn't have Baker in it himself) is 10% off on bigfinish today with the coupon code birthday80 at checkout.  In other news, Tom Baker is 80 today.  

I'll probably buy a season of 4D stuff, as "Renaissance Man" was pretty great.

I like it as well. While waiting for the costume, I was talking with my best friend about it saying Peter Capladi's Doctor costume would be difficult as he's so well known as Malcolm Tucker. I like it. I wonder what item of it will be come famous. Tom Baker had the scarf, Christopher Eccleston was the leather jacket, David Tennant was the whole thing and Matt Smith had the tweed with bowtie.  I think Capladi will be a great Doctor. Big ask following David Tennant and Matt Smith Doctor's.

EDIT. More info:

The BBC has released the first picture of Peter Capaldi wearing the new Doctor’s costume (above) along with a press release that reads:

The Doctor has a new look as Peter Capaldi’s era officially begins. In a picture released today by the BBC, Capaldi can be seen in the costume that will define his time as the Twelfth Time Lord in one of TV’s biggest roles. Sporting a dark blue Crombie coat with red lining, dark blue trousers, a white shirt as well as black Dr. Marten shoes, the look was created by Doctor Who costume designer Howard Burden.

Commenting on his costume, Peter Capaldi said: “He's woven the future from the cloth of the past. Simple, stark, and back to basics. No frills, no scarf, no messing, just 100 per cent Rebel Time Lord.” While lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat added: “New Doctor, new era, and of course new clothes. Monsters of the universe, the vacation is over - Capaldi is suited and booted and coming to get you!”

Filming for episode one of series 8 began earlier this month, after 10.2 million tuned-in on Christmas Day to get their first much-anticipated glimpse of Capaldi’s Doctor. Charlotte Moore, Controller of BBC One, commented: "Peter Capaldi's Doctor is officially recorded in history today with the unveiling of his new costume. It's sharp, smart and stylish - The Twelfth Time Lord means business."

Credit: bbc.co.uk/doctorwho

Many people comparing it to pertwee.

Fine in my book.

Well, it's quite dapper, sure, but it were like Pertwee wouldn't it be green velour or something.

People are complaining that there isn't an "eccentric" part to his costume, but there's a fucking red lining to his coat, like he's a magician or a fucking Dracula.

Plus: no tie where a tie should be. Though that's seriously harder to brand and sell.

It feels oddly bland even with the red lining and boots, but I fully expect it to grow on me.

Thanks to BF twice running a sale just as I run out of the last purchase I made, I now have all the McGann serials in the monthly range save "Company of Friends." I skipped that one since it's fanservice for readers of books and comics I don't have. "Terror Firma" was a lot of fun and a nice palate cleanser after rhe Divergence, and the retcons were legitimately poignant in spite of the over the top lunacy of the rest of it. The part 3 cliffhanger had me roaring with inappropriate laughter.