DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

I don't get the sense Jericho is angry with Vince or bitter about WWE or has an axe to grind at all. I think he's just having fun and wanted to do something new and different. What else can he really do in WWE anymore at this point? Launching a new promotion and doing his other side projects and doing Fozzy is probably more stimulating to him right now. 

Does this mean Conrad Thompson and Alex Marvez will be the commentary team?

Now, Cody Rhodes' proclamations sound nice and everything, but I will still wait and see if they can live up to these standards an ideals they've set. It's easy to talk big, but it's harder to execute when it's your money and you are wearing the promoter hat now.

28 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

...I don't think so. I think they (Zuffa) put money into TUF, TUF got picked up, became a hit and the finale did good numbers, and then they started doing the Fight Night events in August 2005. However, I'm sure if they did get any money it wasn't anywhere close to what Fox offered them in 2011.

I looked it up. Spike paid them nothing on the original 2005 TUF deal, and they split advertising. Basically the same deal Impact had on Pop.

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - let's have a little transparency on the "Women get paid as much as the men" thing first

I highly doubt Britt Baker is getting the same money as Jericho or the Young Bucks

Given who Britt is dating I do.  Now whether the 5th or 6th ranked woman in the roster makes more than $500 bucks and a free Jalen Ramsey jersey is another thing

Stream was fine. Place was fine. Better than the All In one. Looked like they were kind of making it up as they went along, which I think is kind of the "authentic" feel that attracts their fanbase.  Didn't really see anything wrong with it. It's just a press conference.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

Given who Britt is dating I do.  Now whether the 5th or 6th ranked woman in the roster makes more than $500 bucks and a free Jalen Ramsey jersey is another thing

See, this is the thing.  I understand that to start, the people most likely to go in on this are people that are friends and tied closely to the Elite in the first place.  But being who is all around, and Cody and Brandi's big talk about money, and yeah, this fucking reeks of fleecing a money mark while the fleecing is hot.

I really want a legit #2 promotion in the US, but I'm getting bad vibes here.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Onita beating the shit about of the Young Bucks would give me 6 stars 

Onita beating the shit out of Cody would be off the scale. The dude's my age, his knees are even worse than mine, but I'd still pay a ton of money to watch him. Most charismatic wrestler ever.

• Like 1

Honestly, the pay stuff sounds like empty promises to me. I will believe it when I see it.

Oscar de La Hoya talks a big game about paying fighters what they deserve and then runs a total shit show with Golden Boy MMA. Both Tito and Chuck got paid less than they did for their last UFC fights for that event. The UFC veterans didn't get impressive paydays either. 

I mean, it's admirable to want that and say you can do it, but can they actually do it? Will they?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

See, this is the thing.  I understand that to start, the people most likely to go in on this are people that are friends and tied closely to the Elite in the first place.  But being who is all around, and Cody and Brandi's big talk about money, and yeah, this fucking reeks of fleecing a money mark while the fleecing is hot.

I really want a legit #2 promotion in the US, but I'm getting bad vibes here.

I just hope this doesn't become the wrestling version of Crossgen Comics. And FYI, I loved a lot of the Crossgen books.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Honestly, the pay stuff sounds like empty promises to me. I will believe it when I see it.

Oscar de La Hoya talks a big game about paying fighters what they deserve and then runs a total shit show with Golden Boy MMA. Both Tito and Chuck got paid less than they did for their last UFC fights for that event. The UFC veterans didn't get impressive paydays either. 

I mean, it's admirable to want that and say you can do it, but can they actually do it? Will they?

I think they'll do it, for their friends that jumped in on the ground floor.  The other people down the road that waited, probably not.

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Given what they’re worth, they can. Will they? Idk.

Also, I think the gun charity show is super smart from a PR and mainstream attention POV. Especially in Florida. As shitty as it sounds to be getting PR and mainstream attention off of that. 

There has been bitterness brewing between camp Jericho and WWE for a while, stemming from the cruise but ultimately I think it goes back to the Owens feud and Jericho feeling undervalued and underappreciated. He's said he feels liberated without being under the tight constrains of Vince's autocracy. As said, signing for AEW and having the liberty to do whatever he wants makes sense at his age.

It'll be interesting to see if he's blacklisted from getting any WWE talent on his podcast from now on.

Was discussing with a friend recently: how many people do you actually need under contract to run a viable promotion? Wiki lists ROH at just over 40 for the men and  and 9 women. And some of the men are either part-timers or prelim guys. 

Wiki has a bit over 30 for Impact men and 12 women and that includes guys like Tommy Dreamer and Scott Steiner. 

WWE, of course, has more people than can ever get on TV. 

So, AEW right now has Cody, Young Bucks, Page, Jericho, MJF, Janela, SCU, Brandi, Penelope Ford and Pac. It's a little hard to figure out how many people are gonna be in the OWE deal but let's say six? Presumably Ibushi and Omega are headed and Brandi hinted at a Japanese women's deal. 

I mean, that's not a bad nucleus to start a company. The key is building stars and finding new guys to build around as I really don't think Cody and the Bucks are gonna be the focal point of booking. Seems like Page is the big project, as he should be. I dunno...I think if you're sitting around NXT stuck behind 20 other signees you'd watch that and think you have a chance to get a shot with these guys. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

How much are you really going to pay two and half years off from the sport, lower to mid level MMA fighter Tom Lawlor (FWIW looked every bit of it in the fight) and off the juice, five years removed from his physical prime Gleison Tibau anyway? 

How is this equal pay supposed to work in wrestling? Wrestler A sells 500 tickets, wrestler B sells 20 tickets. They get paid same amount? Sounds to me that you are either going to underpay your top wrestlers or spend on talent more than you earn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

How much are you really going to pay two and half years off from the sport, lower to mid level MMA fighter Tom Lawlor (FWIW looked every bit of it in the fight) and off the juice, five years removed from his physical prime Gleison Tibau anyway? 

I mean if you are all about paying them what they deserve and paying them better than at least match their last UFC payouts. AT LEAST.

2 minutes ago, Archibald said:

How is this equal pay supposed to work in wrestling? Wrestler A sells 500 tickets, wrestler B sells 20 tickets. They get paid same amount? Sounds to me that you are either going to underpay your top wrestlers or spend on talent more than you earn.

Top female star gets paid the same as Top male star.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Archibald said:

Same downside guarantee, different percentage of the gate? Merch royalties making the difference? Something like that I would guess.

• Like 1