DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

I imagine he's busy trying to reinstate one of the time traveling Marchie Archie's back into CHIKARA after the current one died.

Wait, what?!?! IRL or Chikara shit?

RD Evans is not dead.  It's a Chikara thing (I heard there's a wrestler "killing" people, but I haven't followed Chikara since the reboot, so that's all I know).

They've tried this shit before and the reason was because they were just about to get TV and felt they were on the cusp of making a move on TNA as a legit #2. 

The Bucks were talking on Twitter recently about how they worked something like 23 days in a month, so there's plenty of guys who would be able to make money without ROH. There's just not enough money there for them to be locked into an exclusive deal.

Elgin off St. Louis Anarchy on 12/5 as well as another indy show on 12/6.  Read some theories that ROH simply wants everyone at Final Battle with time to spare due to weather concerns, but who knows.  (Notably, Kyle O'Reilly is reportedly still working the STL Anarchy show.)

Per PWInsider:

There has been no change in the ROH contract situation in regards to their talents’ ability to work independent events. Some of the wrestlers have exclusive deals and are getting paid a full-time salary. ROH has the final say on if they work any indy dates outside of ROH (similar to TNA’s contracts). Other talents have deals in which they can work independent dates. There’s no word on which talents are full-time.

Hanson vs AJ Styles was a really good match on this weeks TV show.  And it wasn't a carry job either because Hanson was great.  I can't say i have seen Hanson in a bad match on TV.   

The rest of the show was pretty bad I thought.  The whole Elgin anti authority thing was awful and unfortunately since he can't really talk I don't see it getting better.   The commentary was so awful that I couldn't even care about Bennett vs Romantic Touch.  The video package for Cole vs Briscoe was great though

Went to the TV tapings in Baltimore last night.  It was a very fun show.  Tag Wars had some great matches going on.  Cedric and Ciampa had a no DQ match that was insane.  A superplex onto the guardrail had me thinking Ciamps had a concussion.  His head landed right on the rail. They pulled the mat off exposing the wood, and Cedric took a nasty bump on that.  They both killed themselves in this match, and it's a wonder they were fine.

After the show I went to the after party.  I talked with Sydal, Daniels and Kazarian, ACH, Nigel and Roderick.  They were all really nice to talk to.  I bought Roderick a couple drinks because he's always been the nicest guy to hang with.  Sydal bought me a beer which was cool of him.  If you go to an ROH show and have the chance to go to one of these after parties it's well worth it.  As long as you're not an awkward autograph/picture seeker like I saw from some fans it's a great time.  It was just a crowd of cool people drinking, dancing and watching UFC.  Good times.

• Like 1

No, he didn't.  But given I was drinking as well I don't know if I could have taken that, drunk or sober.  Now if he had a couple more of those Captain and Coke drinks (his drink of choice?) he likely would have done that.  Just glad Cedric's wife was driving, as he was definitely feeling those drinks.

So on a whim I got the Mike Bennett Bachelor Party DVD.  I'm only through the first match, but it's ridiculously fun.  It's definitely not your standard ROH show.  They so far have the bachelor party bases covered.  Mine was pretty rad, but if I had to do it again I'd look to Adam Cole to host it.

First match was Lethal/Truth vs. ReDragon.  Truth Fucking Martini was busting out Johnny Smith moves, cool armdrags and could totally hang with them.  It's a damn shame he's retired, because if they could work around anything involving his neck he'd be tremendous.  They did just enough to make it a wrestling match, but it was a ridiculous amount of fun.

Oh, and don't watch this sober.  It's better enjoyed with a good drink.  For quality wrestling (aka palate cleanser)  I got the year 4 compilation which I'm a huge fan of.  But so far it's pretty damn great.

Hey, ROH is on TV right now. I never watch it. Lets see whats up.

I think the last time I saw ROH it was Cheeseburger getting beat up by Hanson and I was baffled at this 135 lb. kid. Now he's getting beat up by this O.J. (or something) guy who promptly crushes him with a Burning Hammer (is that really necessary for a competitive squash?). Dude calls out Jay Briscoe who beats him up even faster than Cheeseburger ate it. Heh, pardon the pun... He calls Adam Cole a bitch and they're going no DQ at Final Battle. 

Hey, BJ Whitmer is bald now. It makes him at least look different than every other Generic White Dude wrestling in ROH. I swear I can't tell half of these guys apart. And the main has Evan Bourne! Nice to see he's back to work. Adam Cole at least has long hair so I could pick him out of a lineup. Haha, Jay Lethal is pimping joint and back pain therapy, hitting close to home for me. Delirious still doesn't make any sense.

It's Cole and Sydal for the main. Good fluid matwork to start, Sydal can still flip with the best of 'em. Lethal: "You don't have to mention... it's just an armdrag, y'all. I do 'em all the time." Cole calls time and kicks Sydal in the face during a plancha, ouch. Cole runs the ropes... and puts on a chinlock? The crowd applauds and this one is going long. There's a brainbuster to the knee and a fly reverse frankensteiner, then Jay gets piefaced and flat-out decked by Sydal. Cole wins with a straightjacket German and we call it a match. Good work from both guys, not any indie overkill. Jay was moderately irritating on commentary -- the man would not shut up. Then Briscoe and Ciampa run out and Sydal SSPs everyone off the top. After just watching Hector Garza land on his head trying that earlier tonight, that's the last thing I'd be doing if I was him. You can get over a broken foot but cranial-maxiofacial injury is where he should draw the line. 

Hey, not a bad show. I still wish a lot of these guys need some cool gear or nicknames or something to distinguish them. Trying to differentiate between Eddie Edwards and Roderick Strong is how I imagine a lot of people felt watching all the black-bepanted guys on the New Japan set. 

They've tried this shit before and the reason was because they were just about to get TV and felt they were on the cusp of making a move on TNA as a legit #2. 

The Bucks were talking on Twitter recently about how they worked something like 23 days in a month, so there's plenty of guys who would be able to make money without ROH. There's just not enough money there for them to be locked into an exclusive deal.

When I was at the ROH show in Baltimore last weekend, I was sitting near the entrance. Larry Mercer was there during intermission just talking to fans. Somebody askd him about TNA's new TV deal. He acted like he hadn't heard about the news. Not sure if he did or didn't but I couldn't imagine he didn't. He was telling a fan, "We are the number 2 now. TNA is going to Destination America? Who has heard of that. Yep we are clearly number 2 now." Agree or disagree?