DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

Ciampa could have been more than ready if they didnt jerk him around slumming the midcard after his knee injury and specifically after losing the TV title this year

It's a shame to see him coming out for random 6 man matches and being by far the most over of anyone in the match and going nowhere. At least with this new thing he has its going somewhere though

There are a lot of guys on the roster who are good and up and coming, but still need to polish up on their overall personalities before they ever have main event appeal.  I wonder if they'll risk putting it on a part timer like Chris Hero in the hopes of getting them to commit to a more full time ROH schedule.  AJ and the rest of the Bullet Club guys seem more content in Japan but I wonder if they'd try one of those guys if they ever decided to spend more time in the US.  Cole is an obvious choice but I'd be surprised if he isn't offered a developmental deal in the next 6 months or so.

So does this mean ROH is reaching it's Justin Credible threshold? Where they just put it on someone they know will be sticking around? They kind of have with Jay Briscoe I guess, but I wouldn't even be shocked if Mark got a quick transition reign. Or Jimmy Jacobs, who probably should have already.

In a bizarre twist, Elgin was stopped at the border with visa issues and can't return to the United States for 90 days, so the whole thing worked out in the end, though I would have preferred that anyone other than Jay "I'll shoot anyone who tells my kids about homosexuality" Briscoe had won the title.

Elgin "didn't do enough to protect the belt," including a doing a job in PWG?  Wow.  Is Cornette working for ROH again?

Styles "protected" the NJPW belt at BOLA with DQ (DQ's never happen in PWG) and fans shit all over it.  It's not 1986 and neither of these guys is Bruiser Brody or Stan Hansen.

Elgin "didn't do enough to protect the belt," including a doing a job in PWG?  Wow.  Is Cornette working for ROH again?

Styles "protected" the NJPW belt at BOLA with DQ (DQ's never happen in PWG) and fans shit all over it.  It's not 1986 and neither of these guys is Bruiser Brody or Stan Hansen.

Actually protecting the belt goes back to Gabe. It ultimately makes sense if you what ROH and the title to be seen above everything else.

Actually protecting the belt goes back to Gabe. It ultimately makes sense if you what ROH and the title to be seen above everything else.

Is ROH really viewed as the Cream of the Crop independent promotion anymore? I tend to see more raving about PWG these last few years than ROH.

I understand that.  I was making a joke about how out of touch and old-fashioned that is.  I think the idea of "protecting a belt" on the indies, especially in 2014, is ludicrous.  Aside from the fact that fans, especially indy fans, know it's a work, there's the nature of employment and making money on the indies.  Does ROH expect their world champion, who has to work elsewhere to make enough money to get by because they're just an indy, to do no jobs?

If ROH doesn't want their world champion doing jobs, they should just pay him to only work ROH.  If you want to be a "national" promotion instead of a tiny indy, conduct yourself like one. 

The IWGP belt is worlds more important than the PWG or RoH belts will ever be.  Doesn't matter if AJ isn't huge, that belt is.

• Like 2

I was browsing the squared circle reddit earlier and there was this whole thread on Jay Briscoe winning the world title and some uber ROH fan being all pissy really made me laugh.

they gave the title to Jay Briscoe! Jay Briscoe cuts a great promo, fine, you know what, he's probably one of the best talkers in wresting, anywhere, but he's not a very good wrestler. If they give him a stipulation match he'll do well, if they put him in a match with a brawler he'll do well, if they do Jay Briscoe vs. AJ Styles, I can't see Jay prospering,

How do you even begin to respond to that.

I was browsing the squared circle reddit earlier and there was this whole thread on Jay Briscoe winning the world title and some uber ROH fan being all pissy really made me laugh.

they gave the title to Jay Briscoe! Jay Briscoe cuts a great promo, fine, you know what, he's probably one of the best talkers in wresting, anywhere, but he's not a very good wrestler. If they give him a stipulation match he'll do well, if they put him in a match with a brawler he'll do well, if they do Jay Briscoe vs. AJ Styles, I can't see Jay prospering,

How do you even begin to respond to that.

You link him to the match he had with Danielson at Final Battle 03? That was a great, regular wrestling match.

I get the point but ROH are a well established company with TV and iPPV's, of course their belt should fucking be protected! If the champ is too stupid to dispute a finish then he shouldn't be holding it

Elgin doesn't think. Read his statement on Twitter about this whole situation. He denies then goes about confirming the stories.

Trevor Lee is a Gabe/EVOLVE guy. Elgin was silly here. Posters are talking about how it is 2014 and it was fake - a view seemingly formed by watching too much WWE. But ROH wants to have the belt to be perceived as prestigious. The ROH title still matters and it will get you noticed by WWE or TNA and a signifier of topping out on the Indies.

I'm not sure how true that assertion is. Out of the last 10 years, only two ROH world champs have been signed by WWE -- Rollins and Steen.  WWE doesn't care about Elgin, didn't want Briscoe or Richards, and I'm not sure about Cole.

There is not a single ROH fan who sees Elgin job in PWG and thinks, "wow, I hope Trevor Lee comes to ROH and gets the title shot he deserves!"  Inside the company, the title is booked well and protected probably better than any title in WWE.  But indy fans know the score and, like someone else said above, are not deciding their ticket purchase over whether their world champ did a job in another indy.  I'll say it again: if ROH wants to act like they're major league instead of an indy, then they should pay their world champ to sit at home on non-ROH nights.  It's the indies.  One company's champion is another company's midcarder.

• Like 2

Let's not even comprate the fucking IWGP belt with the ROH belt.

• Like 2

I'm not sure how true that assertion is. Out of the last 10 years, only two ROH world champs have been signed by WWE -- Rollins and Steen.  WWE doesn't care about Elgin, didn't want Briscoe or Richards, and I'm not sure about Cole.

r.

Not entirely accurate.  I know Joe's run was 2003, and he went to TNA. But 10 years would include 2004 on, which also include Aries (TNA), and those CM Punk and Daniel Bryan dudes.  5 Years gives you an argument, but the Wolves are in TNA now, and WWE *did* have them for a match, before showing them the door.

If they don't want him doing jobs they should pay him enough to only work ROH. It is a joke they want him to work on the indies to get by and not lose a few. AJ not losing, I get that. The IWGP belt is actually important, I'd rank it the no. 2 belt right now. I'd rank the TNA belt higher than the ROH belt actually, not by much, but still. A very distant third.

• Like 1

Join me, won't you, in getting #whynotchicken trending?

Of the choices they could have made ... one Briscoe or the other, mind you ... they went with the lesser of the two, in my opinion. Hell, I'd wager a tight little run for Chicken might have even brought in some business that ROH hadn't expected.

What harm would it have done, that putting the belt back on Jay doesn't?

#whynotchicken indeed.

• Like 2