DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

I'm no huge fan of Elgin or anything, but it seems to waste the whole year or however long it was they spend building his whole road to the title program taking it off of him this early.  If it was someone he was in a bigtime feud with, that would be one thing (unless they're planning to start him on a new program with Jay).

I thought the show was great. Elgin losing got a huge pop from me because he's become so bland and generic ever since going to PWG that I really can't stomach him very well anymore. I've heard he's unhappy with the company (can't imagine why) and that his deal is up at the end of the year.

I know he said in an interview he was gonna tryout for MLB recently, but that couldn't have gotten him any serious heat.

It did I knew about the title change on Thursday. "Elgin is Elgin" but the baseball thing changed the perception of him internally from this child like man to "he's a fucking headcase"

Very enjoyable show the feed was absolutely excellent.

I know he said in an interview he was gonna tryout for MLB recently, but that couldn't have gotten him any serious heat.

It did I knew about the title change on Thursday. "Elgin is Elgin" but the baseball thing changed the perception of him internally from this child like man to "he's a fucking headcase"

Very enjoyable show the feed was absolutely excellent.

Want to elaborate further on the perception of Elgin?

Want to elaborate further on the perception of Elgin?

Same as most people. Especially those on Twitter/those who follow him on Twitter. Total "I want to drive choo choo trains when I grow up" manchild.

He is a total mark too. A lot of wrestlers do it too but he is the fastest person to vanity search comments after a match. A type of thing were seemingly he does it before he showers after a match.

If you aren't on Twitter here is an interview he did this week:

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/104-ring-of-honor/38793-michael-elgin-talks-trying-out-for-major-league-baseball

Not the talk ROH office would like out of their Champion.

Meltzer confirms my REPORTS about Elgin on this morning's radio show. He was going to win up until Friday night/Saturday morning. The ROH read that interview about baseball.

So, they take the championship away from a guy for even talking about trying for a legit sport? Baseball tryouts aren't for a while anyway and he's a long shot for making the team. Modifying plans for THAT is just weird.

Meltzer confirms my REPORTS about Elgin on this morning's radio show. He was going to win up until Friday night/Saturday morning. The ROH read that interview about baseball.

So, they take the championship away from a guy for even talking about trying for a legit sport? Baseball tryouts aren't for a while anyway and he's a long shot for making the team. Modifying plans for THAT is just weird.

I don't think it was on basic principle of him wanting to do it. More him talking/tweeting without thinking past the immediate situation. As ROH Champion the week of an iPPV most of his public communications were about his pie in the sky baseball career.

I reviewed ROH TV 9/7/2014 here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2014/09/ring-of-honor-tv-962014.html

Overall thoughts: ROH definitely upped their production from before, but the style is still the same if not worse. It's like an Expendables movie. Lots of big action scenes, but missing the stories and little things that make a movie great. The main event was a good and super fast match, but it was a bit too fast. I couldn't even write down things with how fast the match was going. It's good have all the action, but I think it would be easy to get desensitized to it. The Caprice Coleman match was awful and Spank/Young went way into overkill mode for a throwaway match. I did enjoy the show as a whole, but a lot of the issues ROH has still prevails. I did like the ROH stars doing commercials as it made them look big league and put over the stars. Overall, I enjoyed it, mostly due to a bonkers main event.

Some shots from the show:
9-7-2014%2B1-21-44%2BPM.jpg
9-7-2014%2B1-19-04%2BPM.jpg
9-7-2014%2B1-15-54%2BPM.jpg

Confriming what I have been telling people via sexy Twitter DMs:

Since Michael Elgin lost the ROH title last night to Jay Briscoe at Ring of Honor's All Star Extravaganza iPPV, there have been a number of stories floating around regarding Elgin's status with the company. Here is what we know:
*As of this writing, Michael Elgin is still signed to a ROH contract and is not done with the company.

*There are stories floating around that the company was not happy that Elgin didn't do more to protect the title while working the independents, specifically a loss to Trevor Lee during the PWG Battle of Los Angeles tournament last week. On the surface, that certainly looks like something that ROH would be logically upset with. Since the company was first formed in 2002, they went well out of their way to protect the credibility of the championship and always asked whoever held that belt to not do jobs on the independent so. So, I do believe this to be correct, although I want to note that no one from ROH has confirmed that to me. But, if you put a gun to my head, I'd tell you that I do believe it factored into the decision.

*Another factor, which probably was a far greater concern is that according to several sources, Elgin's work visa for the United States expired and wasn't renewed early enough. I am told the responsibility for that falls on Elgin's shoulders. Not having the work visa renewed meant that Elgin, who is Canadian, was not going to be able to return to the United States after traveling from the States to Toronto for last night's iPPV. Elgin has already canceled a date with AIW in Cleveland tonight, citing paperwork issues with his visa. The word making the rounds is it might take up to 90 days to get all of Elgin's paperwork back in order. With ROH having 8 live events, including three TV tapings in the next few months, they couldn't be without their champion. So, a title switch was in order.

I was told that Jay Briscoe winning the belt was not the original plan for the iPPV, so obviously something changed, but Elgin's status with the company, as of this writing, has not.

http://www.pwinsider.com/article.php?id=88099

Shame that their roster is so ragged right now, they don't have a whole lot of options to put the belt on. I don't expect Jay Briscoe to have a long second reign and to put it back on Cole seems the only option. Maybe Michael Bennett? Silas Young is out injured, Lethal has the tv title, Ciampa isn't ready yet.