DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

Is NJPW really important enough for its champion to not job in the U.S.?  Calling them the number two company in the world is really damning with faint praise and is not really a big achievement.  Wrestling has diminished so much that it's really WWE and then everybody else.  When NJPW guys come to the U.S., they work with ROH, a company whose only TV outlet is on owner-operated stations in secondary and even smaller markets and who has almost zero PPV presence.  I say all this not as a knock on NJPW, but just to qualify my opinion that it would not have mattered for AJ to do a job at an American Legion in Reseda in front of 400 people (ps no diss I love PWG more than any other wrestling right now).

I'm not sure how true that assertion is. Out of the last 10 years, only two ROH world champs have been signed by WWE -- Rollins and Steen.  WWE doesn't care about Elgin, didn't want Briscoe or Richards, and I'm not sure about Cole.

r.

Not entirely accurate.  I know Joe's run was 2003, and he went to TNA. But 10 years would include 2004 on, which also include Aries (TNA), and those CM Punk and Daniel Bryan dudes.  5 Years gives you an argument, but the Wolves are in TNA now, and WWE *did* have them for a match, before showing them the door.

He also forgot Jamie Noble/James Gibson but that would be cheating.

Looking at the list of champions though, it's surprising that Aries didn't get a look from WWE. I remember WWE being interested in Nigel but that went nowhere because of his health issues. 

I'm not sure how true that assertion is. Out of the last 10 years, only two ROH world champs have been signed by WWE -- Rollins and Steen.  WWE doesn't care about Elgin, didn't want Briscoe or Richards, and I'm not sure about Cole.

r.

Not entirely accurate.  I know Joe's run was 2003, and he went to TNA. But 10 years would include 2004 on, which also include Aries (TNA), and those CM Punk and Daniel Bryan dudes.  5 Years gives you an argument, but the Wolves are in TNA now, and WWE *did* have them for a match, before showing them the door.

He also forgot Jamie Noble/James Gibson but that would be cheating.

Looking at the list of champions though, it's surprising that Aries didn't get a look from WWE. I remember WWE being interested in Nigel but that went nowhere because of his health issues. 

They thought Aries was too small. They wouldn't even let him do Tough Enough.

Is NJPW really important enough for its champion to not job in the U.S.?  Calling them the number two company in the world is really damning with faint praise and is not really a big achievement.  Wrestling has diminished so much that it's really WWE and then everybody else.  When NJPW guys come to the U.S., they work with ROH, a company whose only TV outlet is on owner-operated stations in secondary and even smaller markets and who has almost zero PPV presence. 

To be fair, NJPW did work with a company with larger presence, but they had far shittier booking.

• Like 4

WWE should offer Jay Briscoe $100,000 to show up on RAW and do a clean job to Bo Dallas, just to fuck with ROH.

How much did John Walters get for his appearance way back when? Wasn't he the ROH Pure Champion at the time which caused an uproar amongst the ROH faithful and brass?

WWE should offer Jay Briscoe $100,000 to show up on RAW and do a clean job to Bo Dallas, just to fuck with ROH.

How much did John Walters get for his appearance way back when? Wasn't he the ROH Pure Champion at the time which caused an uproar amongst the ROH faithful and brass?

Maybe Vince could offer him $100,000 to show up on NXT and throw the belt in garbage. That would cause an uproar.

One does not start a wrestling company (or assess it later on) and say, "well, we are perceived as the #3 company so it's OK for our champ to do jobs in the #1 or #2 company - the fans will understand". You push your promotion and it's wrestlers as the best. It's not just the carny thing to do, it justifies your audience's attention/time/money. Many of the post's on this thread on this topic are ludicrous on this subject. You put the belt on the one who will improve your federation, it's standing, money-making potential and legacy, not for him/her to reinforce the fact that you aren't #1 - and if your champ does not understand that, you made a grievous error & had better correct it posthaste.

c'mon now, you ivory tower egghead smarks,

RAF (I love you) 

• Like 3

One does not start a wrestling company (or assess it later on) and say, "well, we are perceived as the #3 company so it's OK for our champ to do jobs in the #1 or #2 company - the fans will understand". You push your promotion and it's wrestlers as the best. It's not just the carny thing to do, it justifies your audience's attention/time/money. Many of the post's on this thread on this topic are ludicrous on this subject. You put the belt on the one who will improve your federation, it's standing, money-making potential and legacy, not to reinforce the fact that you aren't #1 - and if your champ does not understand that, you made a grievous error had better correct it posthaste.

c'mon now, you ivory tower egghead smarks,

RAF (I love you)

#whynotchicken

• Like 1

Is NJPW really important enough for its champion to not job in the U.S.? 

Are PWG and its indy fans who will forget about a DQ finish as soon as someone does a top rope frankensteiner on the floor in the next match important enough to warrant the IWGP Heavyweight Champion doing a clean job?

• Like 2

Is NJPW really important enough for its champion to not job in the U.S.? 

Are PWG and its indy fans who will forget about a DQ finish as soon as someone does a top rope frankensteiner on the floor in the next match important enough to warrant the IWGP Heavyweight Champion doing a clean job?

:rolleyes:

Is it far past cliche to post "u mad?"  You're going out of your way to shit on an indy company and its fans because I dared question whether your favorite puro fake fighting organization is as important as you think it is.  You are literally taking this personally and lashing out.  That would be funny if it weren't so sad.  Does Chris Coey still post here?  Weeboo puro smark elitism was cute way back in the days of the old green board when it was hard to get hold of some NJPW tapes, so some puro knowledge made you "better" than other fans, but today it's just pathetic.

I knew there'd be at least one guy who'd just lash out like a baby instead of debating the point.  Congrats on being that guy.

• Like 1

Join me, won't you, in getting #whynotchicken trending?

Of the choices they could have made ... one Briscoe or the other, mind you ... they went with the lesser of the two, in my opinion. Hell, I'd wager a tight little run for Chicken might have even brought in some business that ROH hadn't expected.

What harm would it have done, that putting the belt back on Jay doesn't?

#whynotchicken indeed.

Another plus: Mark Briscoe doesn't have a Twitter.

• Like 2

These fucking indy guys need to get their shit straight. They should be pretty excited to be factored into ROHs plans. Fucking Michael Elgin....dude should be thank I no his lucky stars that he got such a huge push there. The champ should always take care of the belt. I don't k ow who ACH is, but how do you miss 1 of like 4 monthly dates for a company. He better have a good excuse. At least Jay Brisco shows up for work, has some fucking loyalty, and gives a shit about what he does. Michael Elgin...are you fucking kidding me? And enough of this ROH should pay them more so they don't have to work other places. The could pull a TNA, pay them shit and not let them work anywhere else.

You know who always has his shit straight?

I'll give you a hint:  Bwock bwock bwo-cock!

Just sayin' ... if the fans can do it for Daniel Bryan, they can do it for Mark Briscoe!

#whynotchicken

• Like 1

Is it far past cliche to post "u mad?"

I like PWG. It's great fun to watch stoned with my friend. So yes.

You're going out of your way to shit on an indy company and its fans because I dared question whether your favorite puro fake fighting organization is as important as you think it is.

I didn't shit on PWG. I'm not delusional about what the company is. New Japan isn't my favourite fake fighting organization.

You are literally taking this personally and lashing out.

No.

That would be funny if it weren't so sad.  Does Chris Coey still post here?  Weeboo puro smark elitism was cute way back in the days of the old green board when it was hard to get hold of some NJPW tapes, so some puro knowledge made you "better" than other fans, but today it's just pathetic.

I'm glad I wasn't around in 2003 or whenever you had these juvenile quarrels.

I knew there'd be at least one guy who'd just lash out like a baby instead of debating the point.  Congrats on being that guy.

By doing what exactly? Challenging your opinion?