DVDVR Message Board

Heels That Are Incapable Of Being Babyfaces

Yeah, I could see Miz pulling off a righteous defense of Maryse act as a babyface.

One current guy that isn't important at all but fits the question is Erick Rowan. That guy is just meant to be quiet, ugly muscle. Remember when they tried to make him a genius wine-maker?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I actually thought the bit with Rowan as a vintner and classical cellist was pretty funny. I'll concede nobody else did, so objectively I guess it was a failure.

I thought I was the only one. 

• Like 1

One name that came to mind was Ole Anderson. I mean seriously, why the fuck would anybody buy him as a good guy? He's a fucking evil, obnoxious, cruel, sinister prick, and when he did become a babyface it was only to do the most asshole thing in the world to Dusty at the Omni in Atlanta. Or when he and the Horsemen turned on Sting at Clash Of The Champions X- practically verbally eviscerated the fucking guy on national television before they preceded to beat the piss out of the guy. Or stalking Fat Man Dust down the highway in Charlotte before a 4-on-1 assault in the parking lot, followed by him taking a baseball bat and breaking his metatarsals, then bragging about it on World Wide Wrestling. Who in their right mind would buy a T-shirt or a figurine of his likeness after something like that?

I thought Ole was a pretty good badass face after he got kicked out of The Horsemen.

Now, Tully Blanchard is one guy I could never see as a face. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I thought Ole was a pretty good badass face after he got kicked out of The Horsemen.

Now, Tully Blanchard is one guy I could never see as a face. 

^This. Tully has the most punch-able face in the history of wrestling.  You just figure him for the guy that shows up at parties with Saran-wrap to stretch over the toilet bowl. Ole was surprisingly effective as the grumpy old ass-kicking babyface post-Horsemen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I thought I was the only one. 

and I thought I was the only one

I'm very glad "Big Red" never stuck as his nickname despite JBL saying it about 87,000 times. Plus, losing to the Big Show about a month after his face turn kinda killed the push dead.

37 minutes ago, OSJ said:

^This. Tully has the most punch-able face in the history of wrestling.  You just figure him for the guy that shows up at parties with Saran-wrap to stretch over the toilet bowl. Ole was surprisingly effective as the grumpy old ass-kicking babyface post-Horsemen.

In today's era, Tully would get over as a face for being so good at what he does. For example, I never wanted to boo Kevin Steen on the indies and that has continued to WWE. The Undisputed Era as well. 

The wrestlers I want to boo are ones I genuinely dislike, like Miz, Jinder Mahal, Baron Corbin, etc.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I think Sullivan started out as a clean-cut face before growing the beard and discovering the power of Satan.

Yeah, he was just a pretty standard muscle babyface.

He was Austin Idol's partner in Georgia when the Freebirds were feuding with them:

A cool little angle played out across several parts.

• Thanks 1

Thinking about Ole... I always had the feeling that given the right surroundings really good and believeable heels can continue working heelish while being totally accepted as babyfaces.

Later day Flair would be a good example. Never really changed his style, even when working as the face. Ole's trick run maybe aswell. 

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

Tully is the guy who shows up at a party and instead of drinking the communal beer/booze, goes into the host's private stock of favorite beer or liquor that they can only get in certain places and was in a mini-fridge in the host's bedroom and when questioned goes, "I thought it was fair game."

Yes, that's happened to me before. I'm a Strohs drinker and can only get it in certain places. Invited people over once and had a guy go into my mini-fridge to get a Strohs instead of the myriad of other beers that I had in the giant communal cooler and other beers in the fridge. When I questioned why he had one of my last 20 Strohs he goes, "Oh, I thought it was all fair game". I made him give it to me and I finished drinking it. Fucker.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In today's era, Tully would get over as a face for being so good at what he does. For example, I never wanted to boo Kevin Steen on the indies and that has continued to WWE. The Undisputed Era as well. 

The wrestlers I want to boo are ones I genuinely dislike, like Miz, Jinder Mahal, Baron Corbin, etc.

And the thing is, I dislike those guys too but it's not because they're good heels. It's because they're just shit wrestlers in my opinion. The only way anyone can be a real heel in WWE nowadays is by being a terrible wrestler or being boring. If they're in anyway decent in the ring or show any personality, people cheer because everyone else is so bland. Why is Baron Corbin a heel? He doesn't really do anything particularly bad. Why is Jinder a heel? He had some lackeys running interference for him but he's not really a terrible dude. He's just a guy who wanders around backstage giving out yoga tips or whatever the hell it is he does now. I want more heels attacking faces backstage, rubbing pretty boy faces noses into the concrete and breaking of legs and then wearing a t-shirt proclaiming "I broke (insert face's name here) leg". 

This post brought to you by Jim Cornette and The Way Wrestling Oughta Be By Gum.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Yes, that's happened to me before. I'm a Strohs drinker and can only get it in certain places. Invited people over once and had a guy go into my mini-fridge to get a Strohs instead of the myriad of other beers that I had in the giant communal cooler and other beers in the fridge. When I questioned why he had one of my last 20 Strohs he goes, "Oh, I thought it was all fair game". I made him give it to me and I finished drinking it. Fucker.

I hope you tossed that fucker out after you were done that beer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

And the thing is, I dislike those guys too but it's not because they're good heels. It's because they're just shit wrestlers in my opinion. The only way anyone can be a real heel in WWE nowadays is by being a terrible wrestler or being boring. If they're in anyway decent in the ring or show any personality, people cheer because everyone else is so bland.

I absolutely hate the guys I mentioned because I think they're shit wrestlers. Miz has the added bonus of being a douchebag from the Real World, who has essentially been doing the "Hollywood A-List" gimmick for what feels like years now. As much as I love Bryan Danielson, I am beyond sick of his program with Miz. I would have been so excited for Bryan vs. Almas if it wasn't guaranteed to be used to further Bryan vs. Miz.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kevin Sullivan. 

Sully started as a babyface. Power-lifting brawler from Southie; wasn't bad, just pretty generic regional babyface sort. He obviously had to do a heel turn, you're not going to get an Irish dude with a Boston accent thicker than chowder over in the deep south. Now on the other hand, a goof rolling his eyes, talking to imaginary friends (or fiends, as the case may be) and spouting random nonsense from the Lewis Spence Encyclopedia of the Occult ... That's money. Sullivan was also fortunate in having Bob Roop and Mark Lewin to work with (two guys every bit as eccentric as he is). True story: Roop actually spent a couple of days on the telephone calling up cosmetic surgeons to get quotes on reversible surgeries that he and Lewin could have done that would make them look really grotesque. Now there's dedication to one's craft and then there's Bob Roop and Mark Lewin...

• Like 4