DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

The first time Shawn kicked out of the tombstone, it was a really big deal. Everyone else doing it every year after was fucking terrible.

From around the same time, Shawn getting off the stretcher repeatedly against Batista with Jericho cheering Shawn on. Of course, Jericho was only doing this so Batista would hurt Shawn even more. Great story telling in the early stages of their memorable 08 feud.

Though it probably shouldn't have been done, Mick Foley not saying I Quit when he was handcuffed and The Rock was blasting him with unprotected chair shots made Foley look un-submit-able and gave the Rock a violent edge that he was missing at the top of the card.

Umaga starting to get up after the ring-rope-choke STFU before Cena had to put it on again for an uncomfortably long time was a nice touch on the monster/monster killer story they were going for.

• Like 1

Random question here:

So I was reading some interview Jericho did, within the past week or two. He says he was cycling a lot (and basically admitting to doing it off and on in his career, without directly saying so) as his meeting with Vince was coming up in ‘99, so he could look big and cut and all of that. 

Obviously they were lax here, and they killed testing at some point, but when did they actually start again? Was it after Eddie passed? I feel like I should know but, meh...

I'd assume it was when the Wellness Policy started and I think that was after Benoit but I wasn't really paying attention at that point.

It'd be interesting to know when folks felt like they could start taking them again, do you think it was immediately after Vince's trial was over?

I don’t know about immediately, but ‘97 is when it became very noticeable that guys were bulking up again. Since after years of nobody doing so, it really stuck out. 

I dunno how much they cared about safety or just didn’t want a guy dying while active, which is how the Pillman test came about. Wasn’t he popped for something right before he passed? That was around then. 

So, based on what Dave said on the new WOR, Vice has a 10 week special on wrestling coming up on October 19th, airing on Viceland. Gino Hernandez, Brody, Von Erichs, women’s history, etc. He was interviewed extensively, and going by the way he built this up, it seems like it’ll be pretty damn good. He emphasized that Gino’s will be “unbelievable”. 

Looking forward to these this fall. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2018 at 6:28 PM, Ryan said:

I'm not The Natural, if that's what post you're referencing, but I'll take it as a nickname.

Done.

Also, pick a smaller sig.  Jesus.

20 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To continue with Cass being a guido, he can be Big Pussy from The Sopranos.

So long as it ends the same way for him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

After I read the details of the accident Brutus had, that he survived that without going crazy and even wrestling again is admirable. I don't know how his body did not go into shock. 

In the ring he was bad up to 88, but after that he was fine in the ring. Not great or even good, but perfectly serviceable. People say Hogan would get him booked, but I think any promoter would have given him a shot with his look. With the WWF, Hogan definitely got him a significant push, but Brutus got over. 

I think people drench too much criticism in hyperbole. Nothing can be less than good or mediocre, it has to be the worst ever or seven stars.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Done.

Also, pick a smaller sig.  Jesus.

I actually forgot you could have sigs on this site, I have them all hidden as I'm not a masochist

3 minutes ago, Victator said:

In the ring he was bad up to 88, but after that he was fine in the ring. Not great or even good, but perfectly serviceable.

I think people drench too much criticism in hyperbole. Nothing can be less than good or mediocre, it has to be the worst ever or seven stars.  

Word. I've no idea why he didn't get the win over Honky at WMIV (well I do, Warrior, which turned out for the best) or Perfect at VI, it seemed the accident really came at the worst time in his career

• Like 2

While I'm loathe to defend Big Cass, has there been a credible source for this Carmella story? One of his friends has come out on Twitter to say it isn't true and, given the original source seems to be notorious liar Billi Bhati, it might be worth waiting for someone reliable to back up the claim.

18 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So long as it ends the same way for him. 

Instead of shooting Cass on the boat, they just wait until he has to take a piss and then they jam the cabin's bathroom door shut and abandon ship. 

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

While I'm loathe to defend Big Cass, has there been a credible source for this Carmella story? One of his friends has come out on Twitter to say it isn't true and, given the original source seems to be notorious liar Billi Bhati, it might be worth waiting for someone reliable to back up the claim.

Well if we are going to go on rumors and such. There was a rumor of Carmella hooking up with Cena around the same time she became unbeatable. Cass might have gotten the Ken Doane special. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Victator said:

Well if we are going to go on rumors and such. There was a rumor of Carmella hooking up with Cena around the same time she became unbeatable. Cass might have gotten the Ken Doane special. 

That was shot down pretty quickly and knowing what we know now, it was probably planted out there to continue drumming up interest for Total Bellas. 

9 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

I saw where the website that first reported the story say they didn't pick it up from any other reporter. They claim someone backstage called them and they then talked to others who verified it. Not saying that makes it true, but Bhatti doesn't appear to be the original source.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

That was shot down pretty quickly and knowing what we know now, it was probably planted out there to continue drumming up interest for Total Bellas. 

Shot down by who? I remember a vague comment from Carmella. But nothing concrete.