DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Not really a question, more a statement. And that was incidental, I just wanted to know their beef with each other. 

I think if you can't be friends with someone who probably has as low standards as Enzo, it's just as bad if not worse than Bobby Eaton not liking you. 

9 hours ago, OSJ said:

Gargano you either like or you don't and I can understand views either way. Misawa is much more of a cultural thing that you need to try and understand to really get him. The Natural offered up the definition of one term which is important, but it goes far beyond that into "Bushido", which is a code of conduct/ethics/courage for warriors and Misawa was portrayed as an epitome of someone who lived by this code. Hope that helps.

I'm not The Natural, if that's what post you're referencing, but I'll take it as a nickname.

• Like 1

Maybe that's how Kenny genuinely sells severe pain in real life and he never learned otherwise. Make him watch some Steamboat and what not and he'll figure it out. He's always been goofy about everything anyway, just gradually moved on from most of it.

I never liked Taue. I know some people here said to watch his tag matches, but I don't like him in those either. Half of it has to do with his look. His body and face are really off putting. Nothing about him looks tough. Even Misawa, who I always thought looked like a dude who worked a desk job, looked really tough to me. Like, he may work a desk job, but he can fuck you up.

Taue just always came across as a lumbering oaf to me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

So two assholish people not liking you makes you an asshole? I would think the opposite. Now if someone like Bobby Eaton doesn't like you, you're probably an asshole.

To quote the great Raylan Givens; "you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. You run into assholes all day, you're the asshole".

• Like 6

Taue's an ex-sumo. He'd probably kick your ass in his prime. Hatred of Taue and by extension prime Baba for look reasons makes me go "rargh". I then take a nap.

37 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

To quote the great Raylan Givens; "you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. You run into assholes all day, you're the asshole".

True, but Big Cass and Enzo not liking someone is hardly a reason to label that person as an asshole.

As a kid, I never knew why anyone wanted to watch Hulk Hogan. I fully admit that I grew up watching JCP and reading Apter mags so I wasn't the typical 7-8 year old the WWF was marketing to but I just remember thinking that the WWF was fake and NWA was real. Mainly because every one of Hogan's matches ended the same cartoony way while Flair or whoever had the NWA belt seemed to be in an actual wrestling match. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Still trying to work out who Bobby Eaton dislikes

Jim Herd.

4 minutes ago, Sasha said:

Jim Herd.

Everyone dislikes Jim Herd including people like myself who have never met him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victator said:

Also George Scott's son. 

Herd was also hated by guys like Ricky Steamboat and Barry Windham. Who I never heard say bad words about anyone.

I've been fortunate enough to meet both. Steamboat is exactly what he presents himself to be on TV, a super-nice, serious guy that loves the business. Barry Windham is one of the most laid-back , chill dudes I've ever met. If these guys don't like you there's probably good reason to re-evaluate your existence as a human being. (Or in Herd's case, just stick your head in a pizza oven and get it over with.)

• Like 4

And honestly if you look at the Flair stuff with Herd, Flair ate a lot more shit than he should have. 

Herd going back on his word with Arn and Tully really screwed WCW over out of the gate. Because WWF guys saw Herd was a liar and would not keep his word. 

Herd took a healthy company with a simple cash flow problem and tried to cripple it. Seriously go look at the numbers, Crockett was drawing well by the end of the year, they just got screwed over by a combo of Starrcade 87 and Syndication. 

On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 2:17 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

And the penny drops.  The final straw for C**s being fired apparently was an ugly incident with Carmella:

http://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/exclusive-incident-with-carmella-was-the-main-reason-why-big-cass-was-released-by-wwe/

So Big Ass becomes Big Cunt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

48 minutes ago, Victator said:

And honestly if you look at the Flair stuff with Herd, Flair ate a lot more shit than he should have. 

Herd going back on his word with Arn and Tully really screwed WCW over out of the gate. Because WWF guys saw Herd was a liar and would not keep his word. 

Herd took a healthy company with a simple cash flow problem and tried to cripple it. Seriously go look at the numbers, Crockett was drawing well by the end of the year, they just got screwed over by a combo of Starrcade 87 and Syndication. 

IIRC, putting the belt on Garvin really hurt their numbers. No disrespect to Garvin b/c I love watching him knock the shit out of jobbers, but he was drawing flies as champ. They booked him terribly. He only had the strap for like a month or so  but his run tanked houses.

Early 88 was rough, but Dusty slowly rebuilt the houses. By the time of the 88 Bash, they were drawing really good numbers. The Lex/Flair Bash finish really reignited things. 

People look at turning the Road Warriors as a mistake, but it really freshened things up and drew good houses. 

I don't think you can put the 87 doldrums on Garvin. As you said he was not booked well. He was not on TV often and was not defending the title. It felt like that thing WWE does where a face wins the title on TV then loses it at the PPV.  This was slightly before my time, but from watching the TV now, it seemed obvious he won it to lose it to Flair. 

Which I can see Dusty's thinking. There was nobody to work with Flair at the show. Flair defending vs Garvin would not be attractive for Starrcade, but Garvin defending would be. 

I think Garvin is Flair's second best opponent, right next to Steamboat 

On 6/23/2018 at 1:49 AM, mattdangerously said:

You guys know there have been other TV shows made in the past 20 years, right?  If you're are just going to clutter up these threads trying to pop each other, could you at least mix up your references a little?

How about I work in some Curb Your Enthusiasm for you?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Victator said:

Flair ate a lot more shit than he should have. 

That seems to be the case from 90-2002 tbh, I look back at how he was treated in WCW from 95 onwards and it’s disgraceful. It took Triple H to remind him he was Ric f’n Flair and from there... Cue all the divorces 

• Like 2