DVDVR Message Board

Billy... err... William Patrick Corgan might have made the NWA awesome again

52 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

This story about the WWE technically owning the NWA for the past 20 years is very interesting. Is Corgan that clueless or is this some weird attempt to weasel his way into the WWE?

I don't think WWE "owns" the NWA, despite what Cornette might be mentioning - more than likely, they have a perpetual non-exclusive license to use the NWA name and trademarks.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I don't think WWE "owns" the NWA, despite what Cornette might be mentioning - more than likely, they have a perpetual non-exclusive license to use the NWA name and trademarks.   

I know it's something related to the WCW purchase, something Crockett had the rights for in perpatuity when he sold JCP to Turner, but I can't find the exact wording anywhere.  It's not outright ownership or you can bet Vince would've shut TNA down from jump.

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I think the video title was click bait. What it means is like you said. WWE can use the NWA name anyway they want.  Not that they would, but could WWE created an NWA title?

59 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

know it's something related to the WCW purchase, something Crockett had the rights for in perpatuity when he sold JCP to Turner, but I can't find the exact wording anywhere.  It's not outright ownership or you can bet Vince would've shut TNA down from jump.

This was before the PPV match between Jeff Jarrett vs Bradshaw, WWF wanted rights to use the NWA name whenever they wanted to. Howard Brody thinks it was related to the business with Flair in 1991. 

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

So this NWA thing looks like it's gonna fall through. I think Corgan and Legana should make a serious run at purchasing and booking ROH.

They should just buy IWA:MS or better yet just start a new promotion and run armories. 

I look at promotions like WWE, TNA and Lucha Underground and even most indies have inflated production. So like how FMW was an answer to the UWF, I want to do a promotion. Completely stripped down, No pyro, not even any commentary and filmed on basically a good cell phone camera. Angles/storylines would be minimalists. Characters would get over thru matches with occasional promos.

Luckily for everyone, it is still too costly for me to try. But I think it could work. 

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Armory Pro, dude. Maybe we should just do it.

Beware of outlaw promotions such as Bingo Hall Entertainment and County Fair Rasslin' trying to go after your fanbase.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Victator said:

I look at promotions like WWE, TNA and Lucha Underground and even most indies have inflated production. So like how FMW was an answer to the UWF, I want to do a promotion. Completely stripped down, No pyro, not even any commentary and filmed on basically a good cell phone camera. Angles/storylines would be minimalists. Characters would get over thru matches with occasional promos.

Luckily for everyone, it is still too costly for me to try. But I think it could work. 

Do you want Jim Ross bitching about your promotion's lack of production values on his podcast every week?  Because that's how you get Jim Ross bitching about your promotion's lack of production values on his podcast every week.

(In all seriousness, that's a very interesting idea.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Do you want Jim Ross bitching about your promotion's lack of production values on his podcast every week?  Because that's how you get Jim Ross bitching about your promotion's lack of production values on his podcast every week.

(In all seriousness, that's a very interesting idea.)

Just name it "Cowboy Bill Watts Extended Metaphorical Blowjob Tribute Pro Wrestling" and JR will be cool with it.  He may even do commentary for free.

• Like 3

Meltzer's blurb from the newest WON

There is a trademark issue with the NWA name which is really what has been holding up the sale to Billy Corgan. There is also an issue because in 1998, when the NWA name was brought into WWF with Jim Cornette leading the Rock & Roll Express, Dan Severn, The new Midnight Express (Bob Holly & Bart Gunn) and Jeff Jarrett, that Howard Brody, who was running the NWA signed a deal where WWF would have the rights to use the name open-ended. They wouldn’t own the name, but they would have a legal right to use it, although they stopped using it nearly 20 years ago. Bruce Tharpe’s trademark application for the NWA name was suspended by the U.S. Patent and Trademark office which has messed up the sale because the key thing Billy Corgan was looking at buying were all the trademarks to the NWA name. Tharpe filed for the trademarks in March after his original rights to the name and the trademarks expired in December. Until it’s taken care of, he can’t transfer the ownership to Corgan, who had hoped the deal would be completed by now

On 5/31/2017 at 11:50 AM, Michael Sweetser said:

That last 3% will get you every time.

The Law of Diminishing Returns applies to everything, including pro wrestling.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Just name it "Cowboy Bill Watts Extended Metaphorical Blowjob Tribute Pro Wrestling" and JR will be cool with it.  He may even do commentary for free.

That name would never sell. Why not just buy him a Sonic Peach Slush, a bat and a bag of puppies?

• Like 3

I would actually love a quality frozen beverage from Sonic right now.  I will go get a Peach Slush after work today.

Why is it that I always split the difference when it comes to non-franchise hamburger joints.  I never get a whole meal in one stop.

I will get the A1 steakburger at Cook-Out, but I will go to Checkers for the seasoned fries and then drive to Sonic for my beverage.

The joints are so close together that my food is still hot by the time I get home.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Victator said:

I completely understand your meaning, but I had to chuckle at the idea of FMW being stripped down anything. They had matches in the middle of water with mega explosions and had events in front of 50K people. I think IWA Japan would be a better example since they were like a stripped down version of FMW.

He means FMW when it started, when it was trying to be a shoot style organisation, with Onita fighting Karate guys and that. The Barbed Wire and explosions that are synonymous with FMW evolved in over time.

Well as I read it or the way the legend has it. You had UWF doing shoot style with a very rigid style of wrestling. So Onita said "To hell with that" and added  barbedwire and dynamite. Or at least that was how the legend went. 

1 hour ago, AxB said:

He means FMW when it started, when it was trying to be a shoot style organisation, with Onita fighting Karate guys and that. The Barbed Wire and explosions that are synonymous with FMW evolved in over time.

I mean, they had a no ropes barbed wire match within the first two months so it was a quick elevation ;) I agree it was Onita looking to do something different but it was really different, almost as far away as what anyone else in Japan was doing as he could get. And he was right about there being a market for it so I give him credit for it.

49 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Jim and Howard were correct, then.

Billy should start up Southpaw Regional.

They'd need a new roster. Sea Creature busy doing stunt work for Syfy flicks and Big Bart's unavailable during hockey season. Announcers too. That Catamaran guy's mainly doing reality TV shows now.

22 hours ago, zev said:

Beware of outlaw promotions such as Bingo Hall Entertainment and County Fair Rasslin' trying to go after your fanbase.

Jewish Community Center Championship Wrestling! JCCCW!

• Like 1

On 6/7/2017 at 3:29 PM, Victator said:

I'd want an updated version of what WCCW was doing, or MSG style WWF before stages and pyro made every arena look the same.

12 hours ago, J.T. said:

I would actually love a quality frozen beverage from Sonic right now.  I will go get a Peach Slush after work today.

I don't like peach. I had a Quick Chek slurpee after work today. I like to mix the cherry and coke together.

• Like 1