DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

I enjoy it. They've had some really funny episodes. My favorite is one from last season where they play D&D and Walowitz is the dungeon master. Every character he introduces, he does so with a celebrity impression. The Leonard/Penny stuff gets tiresome from time to time though.

Big Bang Theory is both funny and scary because I know people that act like that in real life, like my friends from DARPA that I meet for lunch once a month.

Cheers, guys. What do you think is the best series and episodes I should look out for?

My only complaint with Big Bang Theory is Leonard's lack of character development. In the first few seasons, Penny plays him pretty bad with, Zack, the guy from the Halloween party, etc., and he just takes it like an emo bitch. Then in the latest season, he's hit on by Sheldon's grad assistant, who IMHO is just as hot as Penny (and certainly smarter), yet rather than give Penny a taste of her own medicine (or at least pretend to feign interest in Alex), when Penny confronts him about her, he acts as if his testicles have literally been removed by her. A little development of self-confidence would certainly be appropriate at this point in time.

I will say that the addition of Amy and Bernie made the show 1000x better than the earlier seasons.

Last night, I decided to watch Different Strokes reruns on Antenna TV. Well, I knew all about the "very special" episode with Arnold, Dudley, and the pedophile. What I didn't know was that also had a "very special" episode where Arnold and Kimberly try to hitchhike home and get picked up by this creepy guy who takes them to his apartment and tries to rape Kimberly. Of course, this was the episode that I managed to catch, which was actually a two-partner. It got me thinking about other "very special" episodes of different shows.. It really is a product of a bygone error. Yes, they were preachy and made you somewhat uncomfortable, especially if you were forced to watch them with your parents. So, it that respect, I really glad they seem to be gone. However, there is a certain earnestness to them that make them somewhat charming. Of course, there's also a lot of ironic humor to them as well.

Anyway, I was wondering what everyone's favorite "very special" episode? I have to go with the episode of Family Ties where Alex talks about the death of his best friend. I actually think it is a legitimately good and well written example of this type of episode.

The Killing” has cheated death for a second time.

Netflix has ordered six episodes of what it is calling a fourth and final limited season to wrap up the Fox TV Studios series that began on AMC in 2011.

Veena Sud is back as showrunner of the moody drama that stars Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman as Seattle detectives enmeshed in murder cases. The U.S. adaptation is based on the Danish skein “Forbrydelsen.”

The Killing has come back from the dead more times than Jason Voorhees.

FAMILY TIES + Tom Hanks + alcoholism

I still say, "It may not be Miller time, but it is Vanilla Time!" every time I eat something vanilla. I'm pretty sure only like one of my friends has any idea where I got that from. Man, was Hanks awesome in those eps.

I don't remember the Different Strokes rape s/l but I do remember them doing it on Facts of Life. Actually, I remember two on FoL, one where Natalie almost gets raped and one where Natalie becomes the first of the girls to lose her virginity. For the latter, I remember the producers crowing to TV Guide about how proud they were for choosing Natalie for the "honor" because she was "the unlikeliest choice" what with her being fat and all.

Which is not only horribly insulting but anybody who watched the show already knew Jo ain't no virgin.

“The Killing” has cheated death for a second time.Netflix has ordered six episodes of what it is calling a fourth and final limited season to wrap up the Fox TV Studios series that began on AMC in 2011.Veena Sud is back as showrunner of the moody drama that stars Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman as Seattle detectives enmeshed in murder cases. The U.S. adaptation is based on the Danish skein “Forbrydelsen.”

The Killing has come back from the dead more times than Jason Voorhees.
I think Veena Sud is Jason Voorhees in this scenario, and Joel Kinnaman is the co-ed who just can't get away.

Molester-panic was a huge part of sitcoms in the 80s:

Here's a nice super-cut:

But personally I don't think it counts unless they use the "Oooooooooooohhhhhh...." button on the canned-laughter machine.

I had forgotten about the TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT where Monroe was raped by two women.

Carlton getting racially profiled was pretty great too...I mean, it wasn't great that he was racially profiled, that was terrible...but the episode was good. 

"We know about your diabetes."

I had to leave the room to collect myself after that.

They missed the Family Matters episode where Laura's friend got shot over not giving up her shoes. Also, there was an episode where Eddie got beat up bad, and they tore up his aunt's diner.

• Like 1

The Fresh Prince always managed to get its special episodes right without totally milking your emotions or making you want to slit your wrist afterwards.  It was a rare feat, really.

I remember seeing the rerun of Good Times where Penny's mom burned her with an iron. That shit still haunts me. :(

Grantland has a great bit where they go over the special Say No to Drugs episode of Punky Brewster where she was offered 'a little nose candy' by the head Chiclet.  She goes from hanging a poster in the cafeteria to a million-person rally in 28 seconds.  As Rembert Browne put it, "It's like the DNC."  And the episode ended on that.  No explanation, just Punky Brewster as the ultimate grass-roots organizer at nine years old.

• Like 1

Anyone watching Sleepy Hollow?  I think the pilot had some obvious issues and plot holes, but I think the story has progressed very nicely.  It's very well shot and has a good cast.  The twists and plot elements are insane, but within the show they kinda make it work.  The lead actors are very good.

I think they are opting for a limited season format for the show which I think will ultimately help for its longevity if they stick with like 13 for this season, 13 for season 2 etc.

I remember seeing the rerun of Good Times where Penny's mom burned her with an iron. That shit still haunts me. :(T

Every Good Times marathon I've watched skips that episode for some reason but none of the other Chip Fields episodes. Wikipedia says it's a four parter. WHY WOULD YOU SKIP THE MOST IMPORTANT EPISODE?

The best non-Sweet Daddy and very special episode of Good Times episode is when some white girl asks Thelma to join their sorority. Then, the family figures out she was only asked because she would be the token. In the last scene, the white girl Cindy drops "we already have a Jap" and "Oriental". But that's not enough because Cindy has to have the final word.

Cindy: You're lucky they didn't send Driscilla. She hates Bs.

James: Bs?

Cindy: [achieving the most Caucasian tone ever] Yeah,,,,blacks!

*Cindy promptly turns around and prances out of the doorway*

The 1970s was just a much different time for television.

Wasn't the first special episode of Fresh Prince the episode where Carlton passes out from taking Will's uppers in Will's locker and gets his stomach pumped? I think the racial profiling episode might have been slightly before or after that.