DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

stout-star-trek-II-the-wrath-of-khan

220) STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN (1982)

Director: Nicholas Meyer

154 Points (3 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Death From Above (#21) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: JH, Tbarrie - HONORABLE MENTION: KLOS

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (88%) : METACRITIC (71)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: 40 (70s)

• Like 2

I love (500) Days of Summer. I'm surprised it made this list. There's two big Cusack movies (to me at least) from around that period. I almost voted for High Fidelity and figured it wouldn't make this list, but I did vote for the other one, which I haven't seen in quite some time.

Fifth-Element-Nick-Runge-w-Title

217) THE FIFTH ELEMENT (Le cinquième élément) (1997)

Director: Luc Besson

155 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: KLOS (#25) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Hobo Joe

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (71%) : METACRITIC (52)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: 95 (90 V2), 255 (90 V1)

• Like 1

Caught another error on my part but this time - Thank God - I caught it before the movie was posted.

Had it listed twice - so it moves up higher

I will tell y'all when it eventually shows up

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

218) A FACE IN THE CROWD (1957)

Director: Elia Kazan

155 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#37) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Matt D, Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (88%)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: 23 (50s)

I haven't watched this in a few years, but I have a feeling it's probably even more prescient with this year's election being about a folksy outsider vs. the intellectual elite narrative.

It needs to be seen, though, if for no other reason than to seeing Andy Griffith, playing against type, as a menacing figure.

Was curious about the directors in my list. Possible spoilers because it would be easy to work out some of the films.

Spoiler

Spielberg has the most with 9~! Which seems like a high number to me, but they're all valid in my list, wouldn't really change them.

Tarantino with 5.25 (Four Rooms counting as quarter.) I grew up with his work.

Robert Zemeckis with 4. Blatantly obvious what some of these will be.

J.J Abrams with 3. Which surprised me as he's relatively new to being well known. The man does good Sci-Fi.

If you asked me I would say Kubrick is my favourite director of all time, and I'm pretty fascinated with how he worked. However only two of his films made my 125, which I think would change once I re-watch his other films another 10 times. They're so damn in depth, it takes decades for them to actually stick with you.

Also I was amazed to see only 4.25 (Four Rooms again for the quarter) female directors in my list in total. And 2 of them used to be men! Bless the Wachowski sisters. 

3 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Was curious about the directors in my list.

Made me take a look at my own list.  I only have six directors showing up multiple times, all twice each (and one of those directors had his two appearances in my honorable mentions).

I have 8 female directors on my list.  4 of those are in my top 20, and 2 of those are in my top 10 (one has already appeared - Fish Tank by Andrea Arnold).

Normally I won't go heavy on the weekend updates but I am going to go hard tonight and all day tomorrow (I am at work today - booo - but not at my computer so I don't have my movie file until I get home)

• Like 3