DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

31 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Two votes for Ran?  What a bunch of unbathed Phlistines the rest of you are.

I should revisit it. I had four Kurosawas on my list, but none after 1963.

I watched most of his filmography in chronological order one summer, and I think by the time I got to Ran I was just completely fucking fried.

Hope you like it. It's one of several great Richard Widmark performances. He's just a low life scum and thinks he can make his fortune trying to promote wrestling. There's works, shoots, worked shoots, and shoot shoots.. And a couple of meaty grappling scenes. 

It's also historically significant, as Jules Dassin found out he was getting blacklisted while working on it.

Superman: The Movie was ironically the only super hero film I voted for this go around, but it's been at least a good ten years since I last viewed it. I too agree and complain about Hackman's portrayal of Luthor, but in a similar vein to Star Wars. It feels like the film did a lot that was innovative from a visual perspective and really has captured my imagination to this day. I briefly debated voting for Superman 2 over it, but the end of the theatrical cut is a mess and the Donner Cut is incomplete.

As I said earlier, I do hope that we revisit this poll in a couple of years, as I think my ballot would look significantly different as I revisit stuff and fill in blind spots.

I also recently revisited Major League, and it is remarkable how well that film has aged for me. A lot of the laughs are well earned, and it remains one of the best sports films of all time for me. It may have been higher than I thought on my ballot, but it's one of those odd-ball choices for me that I think would always make a personal list like this if we're blending great films with favorites.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

230) NIGHT AND THE CITY (1950)

Director: Jules Dassin

149 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Jae (#22) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (79%) : METACRITIC (N/A)

Criterion Collection: YES

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: 46 (50s)

Aw man, 'Night and the City' was on my list then I went "No one else is gonna vote for this, I've never seen it discussed anywhere on the board" and made it a late cut so I could put something silly on there that I liked.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

229) MANHUNTER (1986)

Director: Michael Mann

149 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#17) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Magnificent 7

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%) : METACRITIC (78)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: 68 (80s)

Only one other vote for 'Manhunter'?  The BEST Hannibal Lecter film!  Boo!

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

228) RAN (1985)

Director: Akira Kurosawa

149 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: JH (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: JT

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%) : METACRITIC (96)

Criterion Collection: YES

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: 5 (80s)

'Ran' will probably never entirely get a fair shake from me due to memories surrounding it.  When I was like 16/17, a friend and I got super into Jackie Chan and John Woo action flicks and someone said "Oh if you like those, rent 'Ran'!" and let's just say 'Ran''s epic-style battles and Shakespearean-style plot were not what two teenagers looking for martial arts and lots of bullets were looking for.  I've watched it since, but I prefer 'Kagemusha' for late-era Kurosawa epics.

44 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

You don't consider boxing a sport? Because I can't imagine at least two of those aren't coming.

Funnily - totally spaced on the boxing ones. My brain just knee jerked towards the Big 4 and my blind rage towards CSC

There is also a running one that may or may not show up (at least one person voted for it. Where it ended up I have no fucking clue).