DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

Holy Shit so many great films not going in the top 200 and I'm not even talking about the ones I (and apparently my boyfriend Execproducer) voted for. 

I think what really surprised me was Oldboy not cracking top 100. I thought for sure that movie was a lock.

Fucking Shawshank is sitting pretty in the penthouse of this list and Seventh Seal is way back here. Buttholes.

• Like 2

Several films that have already dropped, like Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring, In the Heat of the Night, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, were on my ballot when it was in the 200+ area, but something had to give. Oldboy is just a straight-up omission.

On some of what I voted for:

- The Wages of Fear had me curling my toes the 1st time I saw it about twenty years ago. Suspense par excellence.

- Black Narcissus is peak Powell/Pressburger and the only one I voted for, but they legit have at least four GOAT candidates, five if you throw in Powell's Peeping Tom. Stunningly beautiful film shot by the great Jack Cardiff. The epitome of art direction in film. I would donate a testicle to science for the opportunity to see it on the big screen.

- Contempt is another film that I would love to see in a theater setting. I enjoy a film about the process of film-making and/or writing, even when it  really has other things on it's plate, like the failure of a relationship and commerce vs. culture. It is hilarious when they are screening footage of Fritz Lang's (in the film) adaptation of Homer's Odyssey and it looks like something that might have been created by a teenage Godard.  And Bardot, Bardot, Bardot. The first time I ever saw her was as a child when Dear Brigitte played on TV and, like Billy Mumy, I was hooked. She is on my Mt. Rushmore of Screen Goddesses.  

And, as Curt said, Chungking Express is indeed awesome. 

As for my friend Jae, I don't know him personally but obviously he is a man of taste and distinction.

re: Oldboy

These were the 6 votes it got - 52, 63, 68, 85, 86, 88

It was like everyone who was voting for it was "eh it should be on my ballot but someone else will clearly vote it higher so I can just throw it on here at the end"

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It was like everyone who was voting for it was "eh it should be on my ballot but someone else will clearly vote it higher so I can just throw it on here at the end"

You also have people like me who have seen it once and did not love it upon first viewing and probably should give it another go.

• Like 1

Black Narcissus straight blew my fucking mind when I watched it a few years ago. The sexual tension is just suffocating. And it is truly beautiful to look at. First time I watched it I didn't realize it was mostly painted backdrops. That's how incredible the art is in this film.

Chungking Express probably should have been on my list. That's my bad.

I probably wouldn't argue anyone about whether Oldboy is a Top 100.  I could probably just as easily leave it off my list as I included it. But I do still enjoy it, and think that its effectiveness hasn't lessened after multiple viewings.

Also if you're looking for something to watch, Korean cinema for the last 20 years has been producing some of  the most exciting and compelling works. They've elevated genre films to a whole other level, with rich pathos and gorgeous technical ability. Just a really incredible run of exports from that country.

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It was hard ranking where Oldboy should go,  To this day, I'm still not really sure how I really feel about it.

There is no experience like watching this for the first time unprepared and being clubbed over the head by its visceral content.  The story is emotionally moving and thought provoking but it is told in such a brutal and unapologetic manner, but that is the beauty of the so called Revenge Trilogy. 

Vengeance offers false catharsis to the "protagonist" and no catharsis at all to the audience.  As it should be.

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Whoops - broke the tiebreaker backwards so Braveheart is 196 and this next movie is 197

Actually - no I did it right the first time so totally fucking ignore me

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Execproducer said:

- Black Narcissus is peak Powell/Pressburger and the only one I voted for, but they legit have at least four GOAT candidates, five if you throw in Powell's Peeping Tom. Stunningly beautiful film shot by the great Jack Cardiff. The epitome of art direction in film. I would donate a testicle to science for the opportunity to see it on the big screen.

I would guess i am likely the biggest Powell/Pressberger fan here, so i doubt we will see Colonel Blimp or the Red Shoes make the list, let alone tales of hoffman or stairway to heaven.