DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

A lot more upper-card guys (Piper, Jake, DiBiase, Perfect, Rude, etc.) get World Title runs for starters. A hell of a lot more mid-card guys get IC Title runs. You probably get a first black singles champ a lot sooner than Ahmed Johnson, at the very least JYD, Koko, or Bad News gets an IC run in the 80's. Bruno and Hogan probably stay top dogs just as long but with a series of shorter reigns like modern champs. I could see Backlund falling off sooner I guess.

16 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

another question for you all.. 

pretend for a minute that from Vince snr moving away from the NWA till the start of Raw in 1993 that the WWF maintained the same format of 12 PPVs and six hours of TV a week that they have now. 

Who is the biggest beneficiary of that and whose legacy is somewhat tarnished as a result? 

Guys like Dibiase, Piper, Perfect, Rude, and Jake all benefit, getting title runs. Typical Hogan monster heels like Earthquake or King Kong Bundy probably don't get featured as much.

I feel like Taker and Bret would've had roughly the same trajectories either way.

I feel like with the sort of roster required to maintain that much programming, and the concept of a brand extension feeling out of place in that timeline, I wonder if they instead create their own territory system (especially given their struggles to draw at house shows in traditional Southerner territories).

Maybe they outbid Crockett for the UWF, and essentially run that as a separate brand instead. Practically starts a new timeline for a guy like Sting. Does Duggan get more of a run than he does, going from career midcard guy, to an established draw before he left Watts?  Do the Funks stay around longer? Without the UWF guys coming in and Mid South Wrestling doing such huge numbers on TBS, does Turner still see whats left of JCP as a worthy investment? If not, do Lawler/Jarrett become the main competition instead?

Does Hogan burn out quicker? And if so, does he stick around and turn heel or goes off and makes shitty films a lot sooner than 1993? 

They'd have put the Championship on a monster heel at some point. Earthquake would have been a good bet. 

Piper and DiBiase definitely would have had a run. Not so sure about Rude.

Perfect would have had a run, as I think Hogan respected him enough to drop the belt to him.

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Could have sworn that happened during his last run?

A quick YouTube search tells me that you're right.

Though I imagine they could run it again and old potheads like myself that forgot it happened the first time would be highly entertained.

7 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

But Shane vs. Taker, by all accounts, *did* draw despite the shitty booking, just as Warrior could have been more of a draw in 98 if WCW hadn't gone all WCW about it. It's just not a good comparison. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would get a kick out of Gillberg showing up on RAW to be squashed by Goldberg, either. 

Or just manage to keep Ryback content and/or relevant enough to have stuck around until they could have done the modern version of Road Warriors/Demos where the knockoff gets his ass kicked by the genuine article.

1 hour ago, bazzil said:

Meltzer gave Okada vs Omega from Wrestle Kingdom 6 stars and said it may be the greatest match ever.

That number isnt a typo (on my behalf, at least).

This will be worth at least two weeks of Twitter hilarity. Because people can't get over other people's subjective ratings on performance art.

And Dave can't/won't stop responding.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bazzil said:

Meltzer gave Okada vs Omega from Wrestle Kingdom 6 stars and said it may be the greatest match ever.

That number isnt a typo (on my behalf, at least).

It's only his second 6 star match ever. The other was an untelevised Flair-Steamboat match.

17 minutes ago, Ace said:

It's only his second 6 star match ever. The other was an untelevised Flair-Steamboat match.

From what I recall he just did a short summary of the house show and wrote that match "deserved something like 6 stars" but I don't know if that counts as an official rating.

5 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

This will be worth at least two weeks of Twitter hilarity. Because people can't get over other people's subjective ratings on performance art.

And Dave can't/won't stop responding.

We all survived the hot takes on the Ricochet/Ospreay match last summer, I'm sure we can get through this. Its only January!

• Like 2