DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 5/8/2017 at 10:46 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Although it looks The Irishman is clearly next, Martin Scorsese along with De Niro and DiCaprio are working on a film adaptation of The Killers of the Flower Moon. Eric Roth is writing the script for it. 

Update: The Irishman will shoot in September while a team is going to do location scouting for "Flower Moon" in Oklahoma so Scorsese can begin filming that one in the spring.

YEEEEESSSSS

That's pretty much how I envisioned it. I also couldn't help but think that the first poster should be of the outside of the van with the entrance to it.

On 5/19/2017 at 1:03 PM, RIPPA said:

David Ayer has been named as the director of the Scarface remake

Update: Didn't even last a whole two months. The rumored reason he was removed is writing a script that was too dark. Although, I believe the official reason given is scheduling conflicts.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Update: Didn't even last a whole two months. The rumored reason he was removed is writing a script that was too dark. Although, I believe the official reason given is scheduling conflicts.

A Scarface script can be "too dark"?  Seriously?  It'd be a challenge to write a Scarface script that wasn't dark and violent.  I mean, I guess Scarface Meets the Care Bears or a Scarface/Teen Titans Go crossover would have to lighten the mood, but otherwise...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

A Scarface script can be "too dark"?  Seriously?  It'd be a challenge to write a Scarface script that wasn't dark and violent.  I mean, I guess Scarface Meets the Care Bears or a Scarface/Teen Titans Go crossover would have to lighten the mood, but otherwise...

I dunno if they were using the Coen brothers script still, he was doing a rewrite, or doing a treatment. That's why I included that the official given reason was scheduling (he still might be doing post production on Bright).  Either way, the six or seven weeks he was attached to this project, they didn't make much progress. 

On 7/13/2017 at 4:26 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Birth of the Dragon

Bruce Lee biopic from WWE Films, with nary a WWE guy in sight...  Hmm.

No problem.  When they show Vince the trailer, he'll just think it's Funaki in the lead anyways. 

I saw the trailer for The Shape of Water, which was attached to War for the Planet of the Apes. It is the most Guillermo del Toro film ever. Should show up online anyday now.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

How'd you like War?

Easily the best of the three IMO. I didn't like Dawn very much and this one started out a bit slow after the first 10 minutes, but it rebounded nicely along the way. The final 30-35 minutes is great.

Serkis needs some type of recognition for this because he absolutely carried the film when the action wasn't going on.

On 7/14/2017 at 2:45 PM, Pete said:

First look at Ready Player One, spoiled for large awesomeness. Full version heah.

Reveal hidden contents

rp1-jb-02140.jpg

I just finished reading Ready Player One about a week ago and umm...I envisioned a beefier narrator/lead/protagionst.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

I just finished reading Ready Player One about a week ago and umm...I envisioned a beefier narrator/lead/protagionst.

Really? I thought it read like the kid eats basically nothing and is poor as dirt. That he gets to eat at all is something of a miracle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Really? I thought it read like the kid eats basically nothing and is poor as dirt. That he gets to eat at all is something of a miracle.

IRL Wade (when he lived in the stacks) was significantly overweight because he had a very sedentary life and only ate low government issued food that had lots of sugar and carbs.  About halfway through he takes it upon himself to get in shape.  I'm wondering if the pic of him is actually his OASIS avatar, since he always said that it looked close to how he did in person, only in better shape.

• Like 1

I could swear that I read that whoever he lived with in the stacks (name escapes me at the moment) that they took all of his food. I need to get that book back from the library.

11 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

IRL Wade (when he lived in the stacks) was significantly overweight because he had a very sedentary life and only ate low government issued food that had lots of sugar and carbs.  About halfway through he takes it upon himself to get in shape.  I'm wondering if the pic of him is actually his OASIS avatar, since he always said that it looked close to how he did in person, only in better shape.

Yeah, I thought Wade was overweight (or at the very least, out of shape) until he left the Stacks.  It's Hollywood though, so I won't be surprise if he's just a scrawny teen in glasses.

I had my problems with the book: the romantic relationship and all its hiccups, and the dialogue come to mind.  I still enjoyed it for the most part.  It's an easy read, the story is usually engaging, and the fantasy world built in it is grand. Clearly a lot of thought was put into details of the world.  It won't be easy to translate it on screen but it looks like it's going to get a decent push by Warner Bros with Spielberg behind it. Ready trailer one.

7 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

Yeah, I thought Wade was overweight (or at the very least, out of shape) until he left the Stacks.  It's Hollywood though, so I won't be surprise if he's just a scrawny teen in glasses.

I had my problems with the book: the romantic relationship plus it's hiccups, and the dialogue come to mind.  I still enjoyed it for the most part.  It's an easy read, the story is usually engaging, and the fantasy world built in it is grand. Clearly a lot of thought was put into details of the world.  It won't be easy to translate it on screen but it looks like it's going to get a decent push by Warner Bros with Spielberg behind it. Ready trailer one.

The romantic relationship part was godawful.  The whole book, the girl (sorry, I forget the names, it's been a while) is telling the guy that they can't meet IRL because she's ugly, not presentable, that he'll be disappointed, something like that.  Then it turns out she's a pretty girl with a little scar or birthmark or something.  Wow, bold choice by the author, there.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

The romantic relationship part was godawful.  The whole book, the girl (sorry, I forget the names, it's been a while) is telling the guy that they can't meet IRL because she's ugly, not presentable, that he'll be disappointed, something like that.  Then it turns out she's a pretty girl with a little scar or birthmark or something.  Wow, bold choice by the author, there.

Port-wine stain.  It's a birthmark usually found on the face.  Gets it's name because it's typically a reddish-purple mark that grows as the child ages ages and grows larger.  I was under the impression Art3mis's was fairly large.  They can definitely be noticeable enough to impact one's appearance/self-image, though it's hardly the worst thing that could happen to someone.

21 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

BLADE RUNNER 2049 (Trailer 2)

Starring Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford

Please be good, please be good, please be good....

OH SHIT DAT SCORE

I refuse to believe Denis Villenueuve and his team can do any wrong. If he took this on I have to believe the story is great. I'm all in.