DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The show sounds like it'll basically be Wizard and Glass, with Elba bookending episodes and/or narrating. Of course if the movie tanks like it seems like it's going to, then the show will get canned anyway. I don't understand why they thought filming a sequel to the books was the way to go. They could have hedged their bets the same just making The Gunslinger and having options on all of the actors for the sequels.

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Dark Tower has been announced to have a run time of 95 minutes.  

Oh my god is this going to be a disaster. 

From your lips to God's ears!

(Sorry, just want it to do poorly because of the summer blockbuster pool.  No ill will towards anyone involved with the movie)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

(Sorry, just want it to do poorly because of the summer blockbuster pool.  No ill will towards anyone involved with the movie)

I would be happy if this movie surprised me by being good, but my RT ballot for the pool also depends on this movie being somewhat shitty.

There is going to be a show? I've been somewhat interested in the movie, but the trailers haven't really excited me. I've only read one of the graphic novels for Dark Tower so I don' really know much.

On 7/15/2017 at 11:15 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I saw the trailer for The Shape of Water, which was attached to War for the Planet of the Apes. It is the most Guillermo del Toro film ever. Should show up online anyday now.

Here you go: 

THE SHAPE OF WATER

Starring Sally Hawkins, Octavia Spencer, and Michael Shannon

Directed by Guillermo Del Toro

19 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

THE SNOWMAN

Starring Michael Fassbender

Directed by Tomas Alfredson (Let The Right One In, Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy).

It figures.

I finally commit to finishing OSJ's book, posting my thoughts on the board, and deciding to dive into the Harry Hole detective novels, and Hollywood is going to make a movie out of the seventh novel before I get a chance to read up to it.

I see that when it comes to horror and suspense materiel, Scandinavia is still the new Asia.

20 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Here you go: 

THE SHAPE OF WATER

Starring Sally Hawkins, Octavia Spencer, and Michael Shannon

Directed by Guillermo Del Toro

WHAT THE F.....

On the one hand, Crimson Peak pretty much killed GDT movies for me going forward. On the other hand, this looks pretty cool and interesting, which is the EXACT way I felt about Crimson Peak before I went to see that. Outside of Pan's Labyrinth, GDT only seems to do well with licensed properties, like Hellboy and Blade. I like Pacific Rim, but that movie is pretty dumb and if it doesn't scratch that kaiju fighting robots itch, you're probably going to think that movie sucks.

So I honestly don't know what to think about this. I want it to be good, but I've been disappointed before.

• Like 1

Re: The Snowman

1. Someone has clearly seen Argento's Trauma from the decapitation gun in the trailer

2. I'm guessing immediately that J.K. Simmons is the red herring and/or killer

It's good to see something really giallo come along that looks like it has cinematography and acting to back it up, though. 

The Shape of Water trailer makes me mad about editors giving every damn thing away yet again.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

.Outside of Pan's Labyrinth, GDT only seems to do well with licensed properties, like Hellboy and Blade.

Cronos and The Devil's Backbone are fucking awesome GDT movies.

The theatrical version of Mimic sucked because the studio did not give GDL time to insert his re-shoots.  The Director's Cut is far superior to the general release edit.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am all for summer blockbusters being only 90 minutes

I am an old man who pees a lot and is always sleepy

I made the mistake of sharing a super large Sprite with my woman when we went to see Spider-Man:  Homecoming.

The end credits lasted FOREVER~! and my bladder was quite angry at me.

I finally said fuck it and went to the bathroom during the final titles, and then I came back for the end credit scene only to find Captain America making fun of me for being an MCU nerd..

• Like 1

Cowboys as villains. 

Somewhere in the pleasant afterlife, Rikidozan smiles on Great Britain.. 

The plasma lasso may wind up being one of my favorite spy-fi gadgets ever.

When Snyder casts Marc Strong as Lex Luthor, I will start watching DCU Superman movies again.

20 hours ago, Craig H said:

I didn't like the Devil's Backbone.

Are you a Communist or something?

I can understand why you might not like the movie. 

There is a lot of sermonizing and navel gazing going on in the first two acts and you really don't get to the heart of the ghost story until the credits are about to roll.

I think that's partly it. I'm not into ghost stories. My wife loves the Others. I know others who like that movie as well. I was bored beyond belief watching it. Mind you, I think Devil's Backbone is way better than the Others. It was just another ghostly movie that came to mind.

I'm weird when it comes to horror anyway. The first time I watched the Exorcist, I hated it. Then I watched it a couple weeks ago because I saw part of it on the hotel tv while we were waiting out a storm. I started getting into it and when we got back home we watched it. I still don't think it's a scary movie, it doesn't freak me out, but I do actually like it and feel it's a fantastically made movie.

The undead, aliens, inevitable doom type stuff is what scratches that itch. Take Shelter freaks me the fuck out. Signs (yeah, laugh all you want), really freaked me the fuck out in the theater. I don't think I've seen a movie where I was that shook and it's partially because endlessly staring at the TV while shit is going upside down during an invasion is the exact sort of thing I would wind up doing. 

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think that's partly it. I'm not into ghost stories. My wife loves the Others. I know others who like that movie as well. I was bored beyond belief watching it. Mind you, I think Devil's Backbone is way better than the Others. It was just another ghostly movie that came to mind. 

The haunting of the orphanage is one of several swirling sub-plots.

At its core, The Devil's Backbone is really about the loss of innocence and how dysfunctional things can be when the adults that children depend on to help them make heads or tails of the world, cannot make heads or tails for themselves.

There is a war going on, but it is business as usual at the orphanage and you can't really tell if the path the owners of the orphanage have taken is productive or counterproductive. 

The teachers refuse to discuss the current geopolitics to the boys despite the fact that there is a gigantic fucking unexploded bomb in the middle of their playground.

And what do the kids do?  They color on the damn thing with chalk.  They have no idea how dangerous it is or how dangerous the world is for that matter.  Are they being protected or sheltered?  Is shielding the boys from full realization of the horror of war good or bad?

The haunting is a back burner thing, but you'd never know it by looking at a DVD cover.  Santi's imagery is what sells this movie and the ghost story is still an important part of the movie since he is a constant reminder that death really doesn't give a crap about how old you are when it comes for you..

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I made the mistake of sharing a super large Sprite with my woman when we went to see Spider-Man:  Homecoming.

The end credits lasted FOREVER~! and my bladder was quite angry at me.

I finally said fuck it and went to the bathroom during the final titles, and then I came back for the end credit scene only to find Captain America making fun of me for being an MCU nerd..

Since the end credits bits usually end up online, i bolt for the bathroom at first chance. I did sit through the first part of the spidey credits because of the ramones and the wacky animation. 

• Like 1