DVDVR Message Board

Moves that should be face/heel only

Liam

Without resorting to naming moves like the low blow and eye poke, are there moves that you think should be used solely by only either face or heel?

It is entirely possible that people will have no specific answers, but thought it was worth throwing out there.

I ask mainly because I feel that the backslide is the ultimate face move/flash pin spot, and just doesn't work as well when a heel uses it.

Any other suggestions?

Historically, heels weren't supposed to do anything flashy or cool, lest someone actually want to root for them.

I always thought Hogan as a face doing the back rake was absurd, but we all know now Hogan was really a bigger shit heel than the men he was facing. But as I digress, an answer to your question would be that only faces should do sunset flips, monkey flips, and tope con hilos.

Yeah, I think it's pretty much when and where you do things that matter.

AJ Styles manages to do a lot of spectacular moves as a heel but it also took him a long time to figure which ones to do and when to do them. He also makes sure to take huge bumps and sell his ass off for the babyface to make whatever they've got look incredible.

2 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

The only move that really bothers me when a heel does it is a back bodydrop.  It just feels wrong.

The only acceptable back bodydrop I have seen heels perform is the double team version the SST did when they tried to launch you out of the ring.

I don't really subscribe to the heel / face moveset school of thought as I have seen faces drop guys with DDTs and still keep their shine and I have seen heels like Mr. Perfect throw drop kicks with complete malice. 

As long as faces aren't doing any back rakes or eye pokes, I'm good with workers doing what they want so long as it makes for ring psychology sense.

Piper was a special case though, like Eddy. Even as a babyface, he's still a rogueish dirty fighter. When you say moves that only a babyface should do, you're mean an archetypal surfer boy Sting guy.

Smashing a gold record over someone's head was the move that first actually got me interested in WWF programming.

Got to list that one. Piper never needed a Phoenix splash.

• Like 3