DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

10 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

To the fans, on the other hand? He was never "Antonio Cesaro", all of these things were jokes (to the fact the crowd actually bought into doing the "WE THE PEOPLE!" claim done by the guys who were sold as racist assholes who hate everyone who wasn't a straight white male)- all of that was nothing. To them, he was Claudio Castagnoli, the same guy he was in ROH or CHIKARA all along, and he needed to be treated as EXACTLY as big a deal as Claudio Castagnoli was in ROH or CHIKARA, no matter that either promotion are far smaller than WWE- and if he wasn't instantly as huge a deal as he was there it's was BERRIEDED and proof WWE hates them (even if they changed the story to make Daniel Bryan win at Mania 30...what've you done for us LATELY? We want Cesaro now!)

I think, in your irrational hatred for indy fans and your overzealous rush to demonize them as wrestling hipsters at every opportunity, you overestimate the size of that fanbase vs the size of the part of WWE's fanbase that only follow WWE.  I guarantee the majority of people watching WWE had no idea who Claudio Castagnoli was when he was brought up.

• Like 4

Yeah, it's getting pretty laughable now, and that post you quoted is a prime example. Shitpost or troll account? Or completely serious, but dead wrong? I don't know which option is worse.

Serious  question. How many Chikara fans are actually out there?  Most of the videos I've seen have had no more than maybe 150-200 people if not less. And I'm not trying to disrespect the promotion, what they do, they do very well. 

10 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

To the fans, on the other hand? He was never "Antonio Cesaro", all of these things were jokes (to the fact the crowd actually bought into doing the "WE THE PEOPLE!" claim done by the guys who were sold as racist assholes who hate everyone who wasn't a straight white male)- all of that was nothing. To them, he was Claudio Castagnoli, the same guy he was in ROH or CHIKARA all along, and he needed to be treated as EXACTLY as big a deal as Claudio Castagnoli was in ROH or CHIKARA, no matter that either promotion are far smaller than WWE- and if he wasn't instantly as huge a deal as he was there it's was BERRIEDED and proof WWE hates them (even if they changed the story to make Daniel Bryan win at Mania 30...what've you done for us LATELY? We want Cesaro now!)

It's not a great example. While Cesaro had a long indy career he didn't have the same reputation a lot of the big names had when they came in. He was just a guy who was given a shot. He got noticed based on his WWE work and it was obvious that this guy being presented as a C-level star was arguably the best wrestler in the company.

What you're pointing to is the conflict between the fans and the offices respective view of a talent. It doesn't have anything to do Cesaro's indy reputation.

Bringing this back to Roman, it only took the vocal minority to poison the well and turn a sizable portion of the crowd against him. I could see it going the other way with enough people in the crowd being enthusiastic about someone  they're familiar with that the rest of the audience is picking up good vibrations. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

What are some of the best WWE HOF speeches in your opinion? I've been flicking through them and they've varied from great to meh. Cowboy Bill Watts was a definite highlight

Bobby Heenan and Jake Roberts.

41 minutes ago, JCM said:

I'm going to say AJ is over because he's been by far the best guy on the main roster since he stepped foot in the company at the Rumble.

This. AJ is having a great year.

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

Bringing this back to Roman, it only took the vocal minority to poison the well and turn a sizable portion of the crowd against him. I could see it going the other way with enough people in the crowd being enthusiastic about someone  they're familiar with that the rest of the audience is picking up good vibrations. 

I think you're giving the early Roman-haters a little too much credit. The WWE is just as if not more responsible for poisoning the well by failing to understand why the push was not working and naively thinking that the answer was to push him harder. 

• Like 2

My record here shows that no one loves to LOLTNA more than me, but AJ was on national television for ten years before going to WWE. The fact that the television in question was TNA doesn't change that there's a difference between him coming into WWE and Punk or Bryan's debut. I don't really think this factored in, but AJ's indy run between TNA and Japan was really well-regarded as well.

For debuts in general, I'm still sticking to my good vibrations theory. 

Spoiler

48846f0bbdcb0d4a69a2dfbbf2ac8894.jpg

6 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

I think you're giving the early Roman-haters a little too much credit. The WWE is just as if not more responsible for poisoning the well by failing to understand why the push was not working and naively thinking that the answer was to push him harder. 

That's true. Although I do sort of lean towards the Political Hit theory that the push wasn't supposed to work in the first place, except maybe in Vince's mind. 

I love Big Cass, but any significant push that he gets is probably headed for disaster. Even if they do the right thing and have Enzo talk for him, a vocal part of the crowd will just want Enzo to get the push instead. 

They need to make Enzo a manager only and pair him with Cass to make that thing work, but they don't do managers anymore really, which is dumb. 

• Like 2

Cass needs another 1-2 years of seasoning before he's ready for any kind of a main event push. I love the dude but he looks like a deer caught in the headlights out there. Giving him a big push now before he's ready for and comfortable with the spot is asking for disaster. I know there's something to be said about trial by fire, but it's still way too soon for hum.

• Like 6

Just now, Smelly McUgly said:

I love Big Cass, but any significant push that he gets is probably headed for disaster. Even if they do the right thing and have Enzo talk for him, a vocal part of the crowd will just want Enzo to get the push instead. 

They need to make Enzo a manager only and pair him with Cass to make that thing work, but they don't do managers anymore really, which is dumb. 

If they can let Paul be the mouthpiece for Brock, I don't understand why Enzo can't be one for Cass. 

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I think, in your irrational hatred for indy fans and your overzealous rush to demonize them as wrestling hipsters at every opportunity, you overestimate the size of that fanbase vs the size of the part of WWE's fanbase that only follow WWE.  I guarantee the majority of people watching WWE had no idea who Claudio Castagnoli was when he was brought up.

I agree, even as a huge 'Indy fan' I think Cesaro's best work has came in the WWE. On the indies he was good but he seemed ultra low rent for a long time until he hit ROH.  But outside PWG I can't remember him having a stand out singles run where he wasn't lost in the shuffle.

I would say WWE fans have got to see his best work over the last few years and his matches with with the likes of Cena really elevated him.  He's a far better performer now than he was 5-6 years ago and the people have went along with that more than "we love this guy, he wrestled in ROH".

They've all ready done things with Cass like change his speaking tone. When he says "I'M GONNA SPELL IT OUT FOR YA" he says it like hes reading it off a script now so it sounds I...AM...GOING...TO...SPELL...IT...OUT...FOR...YOU. The charm that was there in NXT is really going away now that the main show has gotten their hands on him because you know they've told him "everything you've learned down there, you can forget. That was small time. This is big time. We do things different up here".

Of course they would be dumb enough to split up Enzo from Cass. Who cares if the duo is making money together. They only think one of them has potential and they're wrong about that.