DVDVR Message Board

The best/worst finishers past and present?

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Thinking about bad ones I hope no one starts using the STO in the states, and if they do I want to know who it is so I can avoid their work.

At least the STO looks like it hurts the STOee not the STOer like it does when you do a reverse STO.  It is also based on a judo throw that will fuck you all the way up if you catch a bad one.  The STO is fine, when done right, it is just rarely done right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MADCAP said:

Jimmy Valiant's finisher elbow drop sucked. It's like he would do his little dance, and then fall like he was gonna lean on the edge of a bar, but drunkenly missed it. 

it was the opposite of Buddy Landell's corkscrew elbow which was totally fucking awesome.

Oh, and I totally forgot how king sized and completely dangerous that Dan Kroffat's / Phil LaFon's Cobra Clutch Exploder was.

• Like 3

I will sing with the choir on the use of the Spear.  Normally I am a sucker for flash finishers, but a good spear is dependent on the user and the seller and less is always more.  The user has to go in shoulder first (too bad for your neck, though) or throw the aforementioned belly lariat and the guy selling can't over sell or you run the risk of exposing the move.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 3:51 PM, cwoy2j said:

Just thought of two more I never liked. I always hated the X-Factor and I hated that stupid reverse stunner thing Shane Douglas used to call The Franchiser.

I hated the X-Factor but respected Walton for not wanting to murder anyone with his finisher. 

I always loved the Yakuza kick, especially done in the corner.  Chono put that little push into the kick that made it look super-painful.

For submissions I dig Honda's endless variations on the rolling Olympic Hell.  I like pretty much any finisher that has a ton of variations.

EDIT: Best tag team finsher is the Steiners' Doomsday DDT by a mile.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

For submissions I dig Honda's endless variations on the rolling Olympic Hell.  I like pretty much any finisher that has a ton of variations.

This which is why my favorite finisher for a long time was the Diamond Cutter because it came with built in ring psychology since DDP could hit that move from nearly anywhere in the ring. 

It was a flash finisher, it was a countermove finisher, it was a crowd pop high spot finisher.  There were few finishers more versatile than that one.

• Like 3

I miss the days of fatboy high flyers killing guys with senton bombs.

Speaking of which and no disrespect to Tony Atlas or Rocky Johnson, but no one under 350 pounds should be using Splash finishers with the exception to the rule being the Ultimate Warrior.

• Like 1

I remember reading Wrestling Superstars mag and it had a list of which wrestlers were the best at what moves.  Tony Atlas was voted for Best Splash because of his "awesome musculature". 

I bought the explanation, I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MADCAP said:

I remember reading Wrestling Superstars mag and it had a list of which wrestlers were the best at what moves.  Tony Atlas was voted for Best Splash because of his "awesome musculature". 

Who was his competition? 

There weren't any runner-ups, I don't believe.  The story started by acknowledging that he was a shock pick with people assuming it would be a big guy like Crusher Blackwell as an obvious favorite.

5 minutes ago, MADCAP said:

There weren't any runner-ups, I don't believe.  The story started by acknowledging that he was a shock pick with people assuming it would be a big guy like Crusher Blackwell as an obvious favorite.

I'm trying to think of who used legit splash finishers when the Soul Patrol were in the WWWF and I really can't think of any awesome fatboys in the fed around that time that killed dudes with bulk bombs.. 

King Kong Bundy and One Man Gang had the best WWE fatboy splash finishers, IMO.   It may be heresy to think so, but I always thought that Kamala had a really sloppy splash most of the time.  Vader also had a great splash.  I used to hate that fucking Gorilla Drop he tried to pass of as a finisher before the power bomb days.

On 7/9/2016 at 1:45 PM, CreativeControl said:

Hey I tell you what move I liked - Regal Cutter. I didn't think much of it as a finisher but it was a great impact move and looked slick 

I've allways loved combo finishers Chokeslam Tombstone, Spear Jackhammer ect. I really dug the Regal Cutter setting up the Regal Stretch

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

it was the opposite of Buddy Landell's corkscrew elbow which was totally fucking awesome.

Oh, and I totally forgot how king sized and completely dangerous that Dan Kroffat's / Phil LaFon's Cobra Clutch Exploder was.

Seconded on both counts. I would always flip my shit for the Cobra Clutch Exploder.

14 minutes ago, Lacelle said:

Big E's apron splash is a thing of beauty.

I agree completely, both his apron splash and the in ring version I think look super tremendous. It's the height he gets on the jump that does it, I think.

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

Speaking of which and no disrespect to Tony Atlas or Rocky Johnson, but no one under 350 pounds should be using Splash finishers with the exception to the rule being the Ultimate Warrior.

946%20-%20eddie_guerrero%20wwe.png

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Not quite a finisher but I want someone to bring back Kidmans apron to floor shooting star press

Does an apron to floor shooting star shoulder block/head attack count?

GhtjwZYR.gif

• Like 1