DVDVR Message Board

Everyone Suddenly Cares About Cody Rhodes...

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I don't really want to see him wrestle streamers either, to be honest.

At the indy show i went to over the weekend, there was a fan who gimmick was to "streamers guy" and handed them out to fans to throw. 

In 2016.

56 minutes ago, AxB said:

Or "This is Awful". Or "Five less minutes". Or "Feed Him Less".

Someone should start Smarky Bastard Wrestling, deliberately crap matches so the crowd can just shit on them like some kind of smark MST3K. But what'd be cool is the crowd would be getting worked like crazy.

For a weird parallel, if you even begin to like country music, google Lester "Roadhog" Moran and the Cadillac Cowboys. Edit: Holy shit, the compliation CD is on Spotify!

13 hours ago, jstout said:

Someone should start Smarky Bastard Wrestling, deliberately crap matches so the crowd can just shit on them like some kind of smark MST3K. But what'd be cool is the crowd would be getting worked like crazy.

For a weird parallel, if you even begin to like country music, google Lester "Roadhog" Moran and the Cadillac Cowboys. Edit: Holy shit, the compliation CD is on Spotify!

I'm not a country fan, but reading about this I have to check out a song or two during lunch break.  That's pretty hilarious they would intentionally do that and it took off.

Cody's making his Evolve debut in Joppa, you say?  Well, shit, that will be interesting.  I'm hoping he gets a good reaction, depends on how much they sympathize with his situation.

• Like 1

I think WWE would have a hard time defending their ownership of Cody's real first name plus the last name his family wrestled all over the world with, and it'd just piss people off, never mind that "Cody Rhodes" has little or no value to WWE anyway.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 1:44 PM, RIPPA said:

I have been trying to figure out how Angle can miss a moonsault and apply the Angle Lock at the same time

Triple threat match. Angle vs. Rhodes vs. Tommy Dreamer.

Dreamer puts Cody in the Tree of Woe. He backs up to do his running dropkick, only to have Angle (who was outside of the ring) pop in and Olympic Slam him.

Angle then tries his best to climb the turnbuckle that Cody's stuck in, grab Cody's leg to help balance himself, and then does the moonsault. But of course Dreamer moves out of the way, because Angle took too long to do the move. In the process of this, Cody gets pulled out of the turnbuckle.

Angle has Fighting Spirit and again grabs Cody's leg just as they both land hard onto the mat. Angle Lock on Rhodes. Sleeper on Angle by Dreamer. And then Raven runs in and DDT's Dreamer because that's what he does.

Raven DDTs everyone, grabs a mic, yells at Kurt for being too chicken to come to ECW 20 years ago. Yells at Cody for only being in the biz because of his daddy. Yells at Heyman for owing him money.

Summer of Raven, coming to an indie near you.

10 minutes ago, zev said:

Triple threat match. Angle vs. Rhodes vs. Tommy Dreamer.

Dreamer puts Cody in the Tree of Woe. He backs up to do his running dropkick, only to have Angle (who was outside of the ring) pop in and Olympic Slam him.

Angle then tries his best to climb the turnbuckle that Cody's stuck in, grab Cody's leg to help balance himself, and then does the moonsault. But of course Dreamer moves out of the way, because Angle took too long to do the move. In the process of this, Cody gets pulled out of the turnbuckle.

Angle has Fighting Spirit and again grabs Cody's leg just as they both land hard onto the mat. Angle Lock on Rhodes. Sleeper on Angle by Dreamer. And then Raven runs in and DDT's Dreamer because that's what he does.

Raven DDTs everyone, grabs a mic, yells at Kurt for being too chicken to come to ECW 20 years ago. Yells at Cody for only being in the biz because of his daddy. Yells at Heyman for owing him money.

Summer of Raven, coming to an indie near you.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

On 6/1/2016 at 10:15 AM, NickMD said:

I'm not a country fan, but reading about this I have to check out a song or two during lunch break.  That's pretty hilarious they would intentionally do that and it took off.

The radio show (first thing on the disk) is a great place to start. Remember, the people playing the instruments on it were some of THE top studio musicians in Nashville at the time. It's more comedy than country.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2016 at 8:21 PM, jstout said:

It's been done.

I think it's super weird that people think Cody couldn't be a main eventer when he's better than most of the top guys who dominated the last decade. Edge. Orton. Batista. Lashley. Del Rio. Sheamus. Hell, Cena's 04/05 was mostly bad before he got great in 06. 

Cody often got saddled with midcardy gimmicks and was only put in there with top guys to put them over. When booking was behind him, he was over and put on good matches with a few great ones and some classics tagging with Dustin. If anyone got behind him, I don't see any reason he couldn't have done well as a top guy.

That said,  the indies will be weird since he's not really a workrate style dude and that's what tends to get over. Time to see what he's got, I guess.

30 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I think it's super weird that people think Cody couldn't be a main eventer when he's better than most of the top guys who dominated the last decade. Edge. Orton. Batista. Lashley. Del Rio. Sheamus. 

I like Cody Rhodes, but better than Del Rio or Sheamus?