DVDVR Message Board

Everyone Suddenly Cares About Cody Rhodes...

20 minutes ago, offspring515 said:

Cody Rhodes just announced in Twitter he's asking for his release.

Wow. Lot of unhappy guys on the roster. Gotta think this might be symptomatic of a bigger problem...

13 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

Too much talent and all of the new talent is passing the old talent.

I would love to see what Cody and Sandow could do in LU.

See, I think part of that is because guys like Zayn and Owens are getting chances guys like Rhodes never got. Legacy, at the end of the day, was a vehicle to further Randy Orton. Rhodes Scholars were a good midcard act. But for a guy who's been there as long as he has, it sure seems like there was a level he couldn't get to.

Which isn't to say that Zayn and Owens aren't great. But there's a whole roster's worth of pre-nXt guys who are never gonna end up getting a fair shake because they got shoved onscreen too soon with no real plan.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I'm kind of disappointed Cody is been gone, but it feels like there isn't much of a decent place for him. I would kind of like to see what he could do elsewhere for a while.

Cody had more opportunity than a lot of people I think.  He got to create two pretty high concept characters both of which could in theory have been bigger but both of which were also pretty cartoony and somewhat limited to the midcard.  The supervillain was in step with the PG era and I think could have been bigger if they had used the debuting Sin Cara as his good-guy nemesis but it would have taken a lot of commitment by Vince/creative to nurture that fully.

Stardust was well-tailored to the attitude-nostalgia phase they've been in and he was given a lot of promo time with it.

So it's not like he had nothing.   Maybe not enough to get his high-maintenance gimmicks over fully but enough to create them his way and try to engage people.  On paper there is nothing about the New Day gimmick that would have given it any more of a chance of getting over than Stardust. But they adjusted and worked the crowd better.

44 minutes ago, just drew said:

But there's a whole roster's worth of pre-nXt guys who are never gonna end up getting a fair shake because they got shoved onscreen too soon with no real plan.

I don't think this applies to Cody. He got lots of different pushes and gimmick makeovers, the problem was none of them ever got that over, except for his ironic mustache.

He's still relatively young, though. He fits the profile of a guy who could have a WWE resurgence after a successful stint in Japan.

58 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Cody had more opportunity than a lot of people I think.  He got to create two pretty high concept characters both of which could in theory have been bigger but both of which were also pretty cartoony and somewhat limited to the midcard.  The supervillain was in step with the PG era and I think could have been bigger if they had used the debuting Sin Cara as his good-guy nemesis but it would have taken a lot of commitment by Vince/creative to nurture that fully.

Stardust was well-tailored to the attitude-nostalgia phase they've been in and he was given a lot of promo time with it.

So it's not like he had nothing.   Maybe not enough to get his high-maintenance gimmicks over fully but enough to create them his way and try to engage people.  On paper there is nothing about the New Day gimmick that would have given it any more of a chance of getting over than Stardust. But they adjusted and worked the crowd better.

Pretty much this.  Don't get me wrong, I like Cody and think he's a talented guy but he's always struck me as having a mid-card ceiling.  He's great at playing a character and given who his father and brother are likely "gets" wrestling more than most people do, but as far as wrestling talent goes I think he's gotten as far as someone with his skills can get.  Considering he's asking for his release makes me wonder if he just doesn't want to be there?  He's been in the WWE (or developmental) for pretty much all of his adult life and it's quite possible he just wants a break from it all, especially after his father's death.

I like Cody, but he had a bad match with Cena during the US title challenge series when Cena was having good matches with everyone. They really should've just ran with the Rhodes brothers team until the wheels fell off. Dustin can still go and Cody was becoming a great hot tag. 

• Like 2

Good career for Cody. Not everyone is going to be a Main Event star or mutli-time world champion. He had an all-time great b-plot with The Rhodes Family vs. The Shield. That was my favorite feud of that era. The tag match where Cody/Dustin saved their careers is an all-time classic. It was everything I love about wrestling. The Raw match where they snagged the titles was my favorite of that year, even though no one else things that way. It was great old-school work and ended with Show getting his just deserts by punching Roman in the face, getting revenge for being forced to punch Dusty to save his own career just a few months earlier, and all surrounded by The YES! Chant of the anti-Authority revolt started and led by Daniel Bryan. Just perfect wrestling storytelling.

I really liked "Dashing" Cody Rhodes and the mic spot where he debuted that character. The Dr. Doom/Phantom of the Opera thing that spawned from it was also a lot of fun, as was The Rhodes Scholars. Stardust was super annoying.

But Cody put it all into everything he had. Good job making the time he was given very entertaining for the most part.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

Oh I disagree with none of this. I like Cody, but the only gimmick of his I think could have gone somewhat further than he already did was the Dashing gimmick which he ended way too soon. And even that one I think only could have been a good-great US/IC champ with the right push which wasn't likely to happen back then anyways. I even like the Stardust gimmick, but really he has hit his ceiling for what he can achieve right now in WWE.

1 hour ago, nate said:

I'm gonna throw out a wild guess.  He wanted to go back to working as himself, but "they" wanted him to remain Stardust.

I seem to remember WWE supposedly offered him the chance to go back to being Cody after Dusty died but he wanted to stick with being Stardust.  Obviously that was all hearsay and you could be right.

• Like 1

The potential of the Stardust gimmick was displayed on the Edge & Christian show, Up Up Down Down and in the segments with Titus. Him staying 100% in character around normal people was hilarious.

Whenever they tried to play it all serious or have us take him seriously, it fell flat.

I wouldn't worry about him because he seems to have other passions in life and he'll probably have a job waiting for him if he ever wants to return.

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Armchair psychology, but i wonder how much Dusty's death changed how he felt about the business.  Maybe he wants to try acting again. 

And also, he was off-tour for maybe two weeks tops and was right back into life as usual. And yes, he's hardly the first person in history to have to do that EXCEPT that his job just so happens to keep throwing tributes to his deceased father, whom he has seemingly barely given time to himself to mourn. 

I'm also an armchair shrink, but this whole thing screams "burnout"