DVDVR Message Board

Everyone Suddenly Cares About Cody Rhodes...

Makes you wonder if the brand split was even rumored or just popped up out of the blue. You'd have to think Cody would stay through the first part of the brand split to see if it helped his fortunes. If not, he could leave later, no problem.

HHH is a funny case - he really got a lot of help along the way, but there were times where you could say he deserved to be on top. Good worker, good on the mic. Was never gonna be a super-duper star.

32 minutes ago, jstout said:

So, who has IT? I think there's two guys on the main roster who have that something it takes to be main eventers (not Stone Cold/Rock-level guys, but solid players at the top): Owens and Ambrose. They've been Held Down by the Man, but aren't lost yet.

Jury's still out on Reigns and Zayn. Zayn just needs more time to cook, to see if he can be great with a multitude of opponents and feuds. I love Enzo and Cass, but it's too soon to say yes on either guy, also.

I firmly reserve the right to have forgotten someone. I didn't forget Styles. Good worker, no "IT" factor. Being a good worker may be enough to keep him high in the mix, though. EDIT: Gotta count Brock. I guess you have to count HHH, but I'd rather not count either for the purpose of this discussion.

It's not only who has IT, it's who Vince thinks has IT.

Best way to find your next superstar in my eyes is to give people a chance with a decent push, let them be themselves and see what happens. 99% of the older stars would have never fit VInce's eyes for what a star is.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to post so much, but this is my single-most fascinating thing about wrestling - who's a star? Who isn't? How do they get there?

It's more than just who Vince thinks has IT. IT shines through despite Vince (Ambrose, Owens).

Here's the big question: Cesaro. I want to say no, he doesn't have IT, but I can't help but feel he could be something VERY big if he had the right character handled the right way. So does that mean he has IT, or he just needs the right character? A lot of people say he's been buried, but a light still shines among the rubble. There's a way he could be making chicken salad out of chickenshit, even if he's not a superstar. Something tells me the "brass ring" speech was more of a morale-buster than an "I'll show that old bastard" moment.

• Like 1

Somewhere in the mostly useless form that is Dean Ambrose dwells the spirit off John Moxley, one day it will emerge. (I hope)

• Like 1

I get the feeling that even Ambrose realizes his character sucks now.  I get the feeling watching his matches lately that his heart's not into playing this part anymore.  The Roadblock match is the exception, since he got to show off a little more of his skillset.

You should not have Ambrose in the ring being interviewed by Michael Cole like they did on Smackdown. Makes him seem like just another guy. He needs mystique. His promos always need to be solo, taped affairs, kinda like ECW Raven's but not as angsty, more crazy. Piranesi should be the field producer for his promos.

• Like 2

I haven't seen a wrestler come into WWE with more of "it" than Nakamura over the past decade. Now what they do with him on the main roster is anyone's guess, but Nak can get himself over as a superstar in one night if they let him go. He has enough charisma to get over with all demographics imo. His short promo with Aries last week entertained me more than anything Reigns has done on the mic.

Another guy who has the charisma to be a top guy is Bray. I think there's a big babyface run there with him if they handle it right. Sasha, Bayley, Cass & Enzo, New Day, Sami, AJ, Balor, Rusev etc. There's seriously something wrong if they can't get these people to the next level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I don't get why Kongo Kong isn't on the list. I wonder if he knows who Kamaitachi is.

I would be kind of in to Stardust in random trios matches on Puebla against, like, Policeman and Angel de Oro. Even if he was terrible, I'd be pretty fascinated. 

Stardust should go to NJPW and work six-mans with Yoshi-Hashi and Captain New Japan.

I didn't list Nakamura in my IT discussion because I was limiting it to the main roster and not NXT. Nakamura DEFINES "IT." The first time I saw him wrestle (actually just a few years ago), I kept saying to myself out loud "holy shit, this guy's a star. He's an absolute star. He could make it in WWE in a second if he wanted to."