DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Dallas.

The Natural

I really expected Roode to jump the barricade, beat down Finn, Joe joins in... boom, Bullet Club debuts. Instead, Finn wins with a flash pin while being choked out, and Joe just walks away? Mehhhhh. Bad ending to a great, brutal match.

Zayn/Nakamura was fucking fantastic, though. Just... wow.

This was an outstanding show and yet still Nakamura and Joe showed why they’re on a completely different level than anyone else, IMO. Everyone else worked hard and some of them are very good but Nak and Joe are generational talents. You just give them a little bit of time and they’ll get themselves over. Any era, any territory, any promotion, any country.

In 30 seconds Nak showed more charisma than anyone who has stepped foot in a WWE ring since The Rock.

• Like 6

Just now, sydneybrown said:

That was one of the best WWE shows ever.  Tonight I was a fan again.  Fucking incredible show that hit almost all the right notes.  Any complaints are a nitpick.

To me, complaining on the finish to the main isn't a nitpick. Joe had an all world performance tonight, and Finn is many things, but he's not THAT good. If Joe won tonight, I think he'd be "Back" like they hoped he would be when he debuted.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Not even counting the matches - you also had Kota Ibushi AND Bobby Roode

So fucking far through the looking glass now

And we're getting Akira Tozawa among others in a few months.

Great show all around though Joe not winning just feels odd, not really sure where they go with him after this. I'm sure what the best match tonight was, but the tag titles match was my favorite.

Joe is in the form of his life, boy did that cut actually add an extra dynamic to the matches brutality, the moment he snaps and eventually wins the title (if he isn't being called up) is going to be something else. 

I could feel a million hearts breaking when Bayley lost.

Nakamura/Zayn is going to be tough to beat this year, Nakamura instantly becomes he most charasmatic guy on the roster, he should be ''attraction only'' like Lesnar was initially.

I want Nakamura/Joe so badly. I would pay extra money on top of my Network subscription for thirty minutes of them beating the fuck out of each other. 

Joe being all the way back delights my heart. He reminds me of brutish and nasty ROH Joe much less start-of-his-TNA-run Joe. 

• Like 2

Dude, the stoppages added so much to the main for me. Gave it a raw edge, then every time they restarted it Joe started tearing into Finn like a monster so it never lost anything.

And that deflation when Bayley lost. The crowd wouldn't boo Asuka, but they couldn't bring themselves to cheer for her either.

Not to mention freakin' Nak and the tag.

What a card.

1) That tag match was awesome. I want to see AA/Revival once a week every week for the rest of my life. The Revival are my idealized version of a heel tag team. The "crawl under the apron" and "towel for extra leverage" spots were A+. This is the Tully/Arn vs. R'n'R's for the millennial community.

2) I love Baron Corbin. Austin Aries looks like such a doofus. He has the worst sculpted facial hair/dumb Asian character tattoo. He looks like a personal trainer at some Jersey Shore Planet Fitness. I want to see Baron Corbin spike his head off the mat so much.

3) Sami/Nak. I haven't seen any Nak match because I wanted to keep it fresh for me. And OMG, that dude is great. That match was unreal. It felt like the Gatti/Ward boxing matches with those forearm spots. I love that Sami put Nak over. The best part about Sami was how he lost in courage and valor. And that's how he went out. NXT was really good before he arrived. But after he did, professional wrestling would never be the same. Thank you, Sami.

4) Bayley/Asuka was AMAZING and another in the Bayley collection. I wonder if this was her NXT swan song. What a great shock ending and a wonderful story. Bayley brought her guts and fire but absolutely no one can stop Asuka. Bayley lost the only way she could -- by being put into a state of unconsciousness. Bayley had to overcome a lack of confidence to become the champion. Asuka does not have those issues and knows she is the empress.

5) The main event was awesome. Joe's best match, by far. I thought the ref stoppages really added to the match. It made the match feel out-of-control and a total fight.

Great match.

• Like 1

I guess I'm glad (and I'm sure wrestlers are, too) that they're not asked to carve themselves up on the regular anymore, but damn, did that hardway job on Joe kick the intensity up a notch.  Perfect example of what a little blood can add to the right match, even if it was unintentional.

• Like 2