DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R2C: REY MISTERIO JR vs. BAYLEY

MM16: 2nd RDC - REY MISTERIO JR vs. BAYLEY  

103 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I'm mostly just laying the ground work for the eventual Sasha/Bayley showdown.  We must takes sides early!

I will be thrilled if that happens

It won't though

1. I appreciate Phil calling me "the most lovable character of all time."

2. Rey had bits and pieces of awesome in the year. I would have voted for him over Brock in a heartbeat. I would have also voted for him over someone like Balor who had a full year, but a relatively lame one. Bayley had a full year. It was also a great year, and one where she got better as it went on. I think her work in the Alexa matches and the Eva and Nia matches are even better than her work in the more highly touted ones.

I'll have a better argument for Bayley in later rounds depending on who she's up against.  I love this matchup of them being the ones that kids adore so much.

But Bayley is not only the person I'll vote for, but she'll be the one that I'll vote throughout the whole tournament (unless she's against Sasha, then I'd have to think about it)  She's just wonderful in so many ways.

Hey, it's cool.  Vote for Bayley, keep voting for her throughout this.

We know what's going to happen when she gets moved up to the main roster.

She-Breeze

I realize this is probably working in her favor vote-wise

Give into the hatred, JRAG.  Let it flow through you.  I'll buy you a bootleg Rey mask from Olvera Street sometime

I clued you in to Space Giants/Ambassador Magma and I didn't get a mask offer....ya fuckin' hump...

BAYLEY!

Bayley gets a lot of credit from me for how many average to below average talents that she carried to matches I would consider "above their station." The Nia Jaxx and Carmella matches are good examples, but there are even more lower profile matches where she elevated people. I remember her taking Dana Brooke to a breathtakingly decent match in Brooke's first month on the show.

Let me see if I can find it...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2oi1bw

It's like 5 minutes with a distraction finish by Emma. Nothing special. But this was early on when Dana was basically "more athletically-gifted Eva" and wasn't good for much beyond awkwardly posing between moves. Here, she looked like someone who could pass for a legitimate wrestler for the first time, and for a while aftewards.

• Like 1

People were praising that match as some great carry job, but Nia didn't look strong at all.  It just didn't work because you can't do David vs. Goliath if Goliath isn't menacing.  Nia is slow and non-athletic and Bayley wasn't able to cover that up.  I recall one moment where Bayley has a head lock and Nia is supposed to lift out of that, but she could barely even get to her feet.  Add the fact that Bayley took like 5 leg drops and I just didn't like the build up or execution.

It wasn't Bailey's fault, but it wasn't good by any means.  I just don't understand the praise around here.  I guess maybe if you bought into what they were selling with Nia it could work, but she is maybe the least imposing "monster" I can remember.

• Like 1