DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 1-18-16

MGFanJay

Let's see.  Last couple of times the Wyatt Family showed up and swooped in to beat down a top star who was already beaten up, a couple weeks later said star obliterated all 4 with little effort.

So yeah, there's a pretty good reason as to why no one, including the crowd, gave a fuck about the Wyatt's beating down Brock, because in a month, Brock is going to lay waste to  all 4.

Also, dead silence with a few boos when the crowed realizes that nothing else is coming is an outstanding way to end your Go-Home show.

Someone on Reddit posted a reminder to something Jericho said on his podcast right before or around the time he came back, which was that he had something big planned out and a creative way to return. The guy from Reddit remarked about the dirty looks Jericho gave Roman and Ambrose awhile ago and that maybe this is Jericho's way of turning heel.

Lol. His way of turning heel is some dirty looks and being an embarrassing dad? Truly a trailblazer. Jericho is the same dude he's been since his first comeback post-sycophant era. An embarrassing relic going through a mid-life crisis who adds absolutely nothing to the show.

I actually got a laugh out of Jericho's over-the-top refereeing antics, simply because they were so absurd.

The guys in the eight-man were sure sent out there to die.

Surprised it took them this long to play the "Reigns is being stuck with the #1 spot" card.

Thought New Day's trombone funeral was funny.  Ditto for Bo's aborted victory lap.

This is a most impressive hill to die on.

My favorite Luke Harper line from the Shield/Wyatt's feud, "You boys picked a beautiful hill to die on." I can't wait until The Shield reforms and perhaps get another feud with The Wyatt's.

Doesn't it get boring here without one person who actually enjoys Raw? It has been six pages of the same exact thing. It's essentially smark mad libs at this point.

Actually, aside from the Jericho stuff, I mostly enjoyed Raw.  I like Roman turning into the "Fuck it all" asskicker he should have always been.  I liked KO verbally murdering Saxton for 15 minutes.  I liked the Becky-Flairs interview. The New Day funeral ruled. Hell, in my heart of hearts, I loved the absolutely non-sensical turns of both Paige & Big Show last night. 

I did not like the main event angle because the Wyatts need to be faces at this point. I am not buying Bray as a threat yet, because he needs his 3 big bears to do any of his dirty work.  I am not buying the LoN as any kind of real threat.  And I think no one else other than Ambrose, KO, and possibly a new Bullet Club seems to have any remote shot at winning on Sunday.  

It's Reigns & Brock and no one else is even close. 

I appreciate they tried to show someone else could win.  Because any of the other 29 could.  It's just that they've thrown the champ faces impossible odds trope at us for the last 10 years.  Why is it such a surprise when I don't think there's any other outcome other than Superman is going to punch Brainiac into the sun again to end this comic book?

• Like 1

Doesn't it get boring here without one person who actually enjoys Raw? It has been six pages of the same exact thing. It's essentially smark mad libs at this point.

Actually, aside from the Jericho stuff, I mostly enjoyed Raw.  I like Roman turning into the "Fuck it all" asskicker he should have always been.  I liked KO verbally murdering Saxton for 15 minutes.  I liked the Becky-Flairs interview. The New Day funeral ruled. Hell, in my heart of hearts, I loved the absolutely non-sensical turns of both Paige & Big Show last night. 

I did not like the main event angle because the Wyatts need to be faces at this point. I am not buying Bray as a threat yet, because he needs his 3 big bears to do any of his dirty work.  I am not buying the LoN as any kind of real threat.  And I think no one else other than Ambrose, KO, and possibly a new Bullet Club seems to have any remote shot at winning on Sunday.  

I appreciate they tried to show someone else could win.  Because any of the other 29 could.  It's just that they've thrown the champ faces impossible odds trope at us for the last 10 years.  Why is it such a surprise when I don't think there's any other outcome other than Superman is going to punch Brainiac into the sun again to end this comic book?

Kids need and like heroes. The WWE isn't for us. It's for children. Some of it's steered more towards us, but the A-plots almost never are. Sometimes one of the big storylines (Daniel Bryan) captures the hearts and minds of everyone. But there's a reason why Cena wins -- it's the payoff the kids watching wants to see.

Bray definitely needs to turn face if they hope to salvage anything from him. You can't underestimate how important it was for Undertaker's career to turn face early. Heels just generally don't get booked strong in WWE, and if Undertaker had never turned, he would've ended up in the same rut Bray is in now - feasting on the undercard but losing virtually every meaningful main event program on the way to Eh, Who Gives A Fuckville.

I thought the end segment was pretty great.

Well of fucking course you did.

Come on.  People are allowed to have different opinions and express them, or no?

FWIW, I don't think it was a great show, or even a good show.  But I don't think it was garbage, either.

Point to where I said he isn't allowed to have a different opinion or express it.

Resident contrarian known for being notoriously contrary with a penchant for moving goalposts (intentional or not) lived up to his reputation. Balls were busted as a result.

• Like 3

Kids need and like heroes. The WWE isn't for us. It's for children. Some of it's steered more towards us, but the A-plots almost never are. Sometimes one of the big storylines (Daniel Bryan) captures the hearts and minds of everyone. But there's a reason why Cena wins -- it's the payoff the kids watching wants to see.

You can repeat the "WWE isn't for us, it's for children" stuff all you want, but you're going to get it wrong each and every time. You're applying a very cut down the middle, black and white description to WWE programming and it's not accurate. Tell me, who exactly is the target audience when WWE conjures memories and images of angles gone by, which involved wrestlers like Steve Austin? Tell me of the children who WWE is speaking to using some of the language Roman or HHH or Vince does. And, please, tell me who is the primary viewing audience for Raw each week? Oh, and if this is for children and not us, why does Raw air so late?

Just so there's no mistaking it, none of this is to say WWE isn't for children, because they're selling to kids, but they're also selling to adults. Adults are the ones who turn this on each week, subscribe to the Network, purchase tickets to live events, purchase merchandise at live events, etc. If WWE isn't for us, they're fucking up. Majorly.

There's no denying that kids need or want a hero to watch. Cena fills that role. So does Roman. So have others. That doesn't mean that said hero must win all the time or can't turn heel, and it also doesn't mean that you can't have other heroes, even if they're swamp monsters.

• Like 3