DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 1/14/16

victor

* WWE Intercontinental Champion Dean Ambrose challenges Kevin Owens to a Last Man Standing match at the Royal Rumble. Sheamus comes out and has words for Ambrose. Owens is out next and he accepts the challenge. They beat down Ambrose until Neville makes the save

* The Dudley Boyz defeated Erick Rowan and Luke Harper in a Tables Match. Braun Strowman attacks after the match and puts both Dudleyz through tables

* JoJo interviews WWE United States Champion Kalisto, who gives a nod to Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio

* Heath Slater, Adam Rose, Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas defeated Goldust, Jack Swagger, Zack Ryder and Damien Sandow

* Alberto Del Rio defeated Kalisto to win back the WWE United States Title. King Barrett was at ringside and provided an assist to help Del Rio win the title

* Becky Lynch defeated Brie Bella by submission

* Dean Ambrose and Neville vs. Kevin Owens and Sheamus ends in a no contest as both teams brawl outside of the ring. Owens is brought back in to take a Dirty Deeds and 450 but that may have been after SmackDown ended

Kalisto's title reign lasted less than 24 hours.

wat

I get better booking from my 6 year old and his lego. Darth Maul has been built like a monster since Christmas but I know that Captain America is gearing up to kick his ass!

How does it make any damn sense to take the belt from Kalisto a day after he wins it?

Its like someone in 'creative' read that Cracked article that mentioned the titles never changing hands on Raw/SD and thought "Ill show those no good smarks!"

It makes sense because Kalisto lost by cheating. There is now another step in the story. ADR knows he can't beat Kalisto without help from his partner-in-crime, so he resorts to that chicanery. Kalisto knows he can beat ADR in a fair fight. But now that he knows what lengths ADR will stoop to, does he have what it takes to regain what is rightfully his?

Kalisto/ADR was pretty good. I'd definitely like to see Kalisto amount to something, but he fits the profile of a guy WWE would forget about within weeks of a big win.

I knew I was being too generous with "weeks."

Also it's very impressive that WWE was able to make a team that feels more jobberific than the Social Outcasts.

Greg, I know you try, but when telling a story involves cutting a hot act off at the knees, in a company absolutely desperate for hot acts at the moment, maybe it's not the story to tell right now.

Also, there is absolutely no chance the writers put that much thought into it. More than likely, they thought, "Kalisto won on Monday, so it's Alberto's turn."

It does erase the good work they did on Monday in the sense that Alberto putting himself over as an Arn-style tough guy on Monday and then losing to Kalisto was a genuine elevation.  "Hey, Kalisto is better than this genuine shit-kicker!  Maybe he's worth paying attention to!"

If he had moved on then.  Or if they had Del Rio attack him a few times to get a rematch, cut promos on how it was a fluke, and then had Kalisto beat him clean at the Rumble and move on.

But now it's just back to "Hey, a couple of midcard guys are the same as each other and the same as every other midcarder.  Probably neither are worth paying attention to."

• Like 2

Greg, I know you try, but when telling a story involves cutting a hot act off at the knees, in a company absolutely desperate for hot acts at the moment, maybe it's not the story to tell right now.

I agree it was a dumb move, but calling Kalisto a hot act is a leap.

One of the things that confuses me about WWE is not (for the most part) the stories that the company chooses to tell, but WHEN those stories are told. As mentioned, if this company had some solid guys at the top* then the title going back to ADR wouldn't be THAT big of a deal as people would recognize that ADR winning the title back is most likely the end of Act 1 in this three act story structure.

*Let's be real here. Cena is the only top guy who can be considered 'over',Reigns is still lukewarm, no one gives a shit about Sheamus (as the dead crowds serve as proof), and both Taker and Brock are working part-time. This is not a good situation to run a hot-potato angle with any of the titles.

Again, I hate to keep saying it and come off as Chicken Little but WRESTLEMANIA FUCKING 32 is right around the corner and the fact that WWE is gearing up to potentially have Taker, Rock, HHH, and Jericho in feature roles are both glaring and problematic.

So...Alberto can beat Cena, Swagger and Kalisto clean....then joins the League of Nations and somehow loses that skill. Needs help beating a guy, when he already beat him WITHOUT help just weeks ago.

And that is some Jeff Hardy vs HHH IC-Title-Level bullshit. Beating someone for a title in an upset and the first chance to lose the title gets the title off Kalisto. 

What's the endgame? Kalisto beating Alberto again? Alberto beating Kalisto clean? Who gets elevated from that?

I know it's a alternative booking because of Cena's injury, but at least try...bouncy US title helps no-one!

Yeah, I think the issue is for the elevation to take hold, Kalisto needed to successfully defend the title at least a few times. True, he isn't a hot act - and this is not the way to make him one. Now you've just made Del Rio, carefully built up since his return, look like a chump. Hurts both guys. Also, everyone hates this booking because nobody wanted to see Del Rio return at all, let alone have a stranglehold on one of the single titles for months.

Apparently, I should NEVER get invested in any wrestler because WWE never fails to cut them off at the knees. This fucking promotion...

You know, I loved the Tito Santana and Greg Valentine feud and Tito didn't wrestle Valentine every fucking Superstars, Challenge, and Prime Time, they fucking didn't trade wins and they both made each other look better despite the total absence of modern 50/50 booking.

* Heath Slater, Adam Rose, Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas defeated Goldust, Jack Swagger, Zack Ryder and Damien Sandow

This is like the 2016 version of Italian Stallion, Rocky King and The Mulkeys vs. George South, The Cruel Connection and The Golden Terror.