DVDVR Message Board

WWE 2016 Hall of Fame

ChesterCopperpot

She did a Raw appearance a couple years ago with Richter, so there doesn't seem to be bad blood. My only guess is that they're waiting for the next time they're around NY.

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ziggler was the one who got glassed by Cyndi on that Raw, right? I could watch that all day long. 

That was Heath Slater, getting beat up by all the legends leading up to Raw 1000.

The WWE will be updating the Hall of Fame this year with a "Legacy Award" based on a banner at the WWE Store right now.

There are seven names that are listed on the poster:  Ed "Strangler" Lewis, Frank Gotch, George Hackenschmidt, Lou Thesz, Mildred Burke, Pat O'Connor and one other person.

All are among the biggest names in wrestling history, with Gotch and Hackenschmidt responsible for the first huge gate and spearheading wresting getting national headlines, Lewis being the most famous wrestler of the 20s, Thesz being the dominant world champion of the 50s, Burke being the first women's champion to get worldwide attention and O'Connor being one of the smoothest workers of his day.

Although WWE has inducted Gorgeous George, Buddy Rogers and Argentina Rocca, who were contemporaries of Thesz and O'Connor, they had not honored anyone who was a major star before the advent of television.  The poster doesn't list them for the Hall of Fame, but for the WWE Legacy Award.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Casey said:

That's a really good idea. Sort of an "early influences" award. I highly doubt there's any existing footage of guys like Lewis, Gotch or Hackenschmidt, though.

By the way, the "one other person" is Sailor Art Thomas, who was a star in the Midwest during the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Stan Hansen dropping Tiger Jeet Singh's name was the closest Singh will get to the HOF.

Stan rambled a bit but damn I can listen to him tell stories ll day. He's the Sam Elliott of pro-wrestling

James

• Like 3