DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2016 UPCOMING MOVIE TYPE THINGS:

RIPPA

12 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Jungle Book was tremendous. So much fun. During the credits, as the lights were coming up there were kids dancing in the aisles to "I Want To Be Like You.".

Me and the wife saw it last weekend and we both liked it.  Saw it in IMAX 3D and thought the effects were really well done.

I'm not sure if anyone here mentioned it, but the MiB/21 Jump Street crossover is MiB 23. As long as Channing Tatum is in it, I'm stoked. It sounds so dumb and goofy that it can't possibly fail.

Also, what is the reason for re-using the "Birth of a Nation" title? I BARELY made it through the original Birth and that was because it was in a film history class.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm not sure if anyone here mentioned it, but the MiB/21 Jump Street crossover is MiB 23. As long as Channing Tatum is in it, I'm stoked. It sounds so dumb and goofy that it can't possibly fail.

Also, what is the reason for re-using the "Birth of a Nation" title? I BARELY made it through the original Birth and that was because it was in a film history class.

The original title of the original movie was The Clansmen so I can deal with Birth of a Nation redux.

I should not be allowed anywhere near matches, gasoline, or auto tires if I watch this in a theater.

I am glad I did not attend your film history class.  I would've shivved the first guy to pull for the Klan.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per The Wrap

Bad Boys 3 - Feb 17, 2017

Bad Boys 4 - July 3, 2019

Why? It's not like anyone was crying out for a second one, but after it was over, nobody really wanted a third.

Michael Bay movies shouldn't have titles. They should just be called Michael Bay 7, like Led Zeppelin albums.

20 hours ago, Craig H said:

“jump street merging with mib i think that’s clean and rad and powerful.” - Jonah Hill

Yuck. Yuck. Yuck.  Fuck everything about this project and fuck Jonah Hill & Channing Tatum. 

DENZEL WASHINGTON~?

CHRIS PRATT~?

VINCENT D'ONOFRIO~?

ETHAN HAWKE~?

BYUNG-HUN LEE~?

DIRECTED BY ANTOINE FUQUA~?  SOLD~!

The abandoning of a traditional Western in favor of The Avengers With Guns, Knives, and Bows will put off some, but I am all in.  I can still love the original and appreciate this in name only reboot.

I suppose they abandoned the Mexican town in peril story for a American border town in peril so that there could be enough white people in the cast.

You have to be careful with these modern retoolings, otherwise you get something like Fury where you try to inject the current zeitgeist into an era that it is completely foreign to.  And then it sounds stupid coming from the lips of characters from that time period.

• Like 1

Ooh, look at the writing credits.  Nic Pizzolatto, making his feature film debut... and John Lee Hancock, whose biggest claim to fame is writing and directing The Blind Side.  That's an interesting pairing.

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Ooh, look at the writing credits.  Nic Pizzolatto, making his feature film debut... and John Lee Hancock, whose biggest claim to fame is writing and directing The Blind Side.  That's an interesting pairing.

My other point.  As much as people will chafe under the casting decisions and blatant focus on ramped up action, the writing, production, and direction credits end to make you conclude that someone somewhere cares enough about this movie to put good people to work and come up with a quality movie.

Despite the action sequences, this obviously isn't escapist Western fare.  Sometime, somewhere in this movie, Fuqua is going to pull out the racism punk card and call society to the carpet.  Not everyone in this border town is going to be happy to see an Asian man (Given the time frame, I assume that Byung's character will be Chinese, but who knows?), a Black man, and a Native American come to aid in their defense..   That shit should be interesting.

IIRC only three of the seven survive the climactic gunfight.  I wonder if or how Fuqua is going to tinker with that?

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I suppose they abandoned the Mexican town in peril story for a American border town in peril so that there could be enough white people in the cast.

or it's just easier to use the extras in Louisiana.

Anyway, hopefully the bitching about the casting can cease to exist. In the last week or so, we have Scarlett Johansson playing a character named Motoko Kusanagi and Zoe Saldana painted up to look like Yaphet Kotto. This should be the least bitched about thing ever.