DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2016 UPCOMING MOVIE TYPE THINGS:

RIPPA

I read about a 1/3 of the book (I had to return it to the library before I finished - I was basically at the point in the trailer around the questioning)

But I didn't know Allison Janney was in it so this just immediately shot back up my interest list

23 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

or it's just easier to use the extras in Louisiana.

Anyway, hopefully the bitching about the casting can cease to exist. In the last week or so, we have Scarlett Johansson playing a character named Motoko Kusanagi and Zoe Saldana painted up to look like Yaphet Kotto. This should be the least bitched about thing ever.

Denzel will be the most awesome Black cowboy since Jesse Lee in Posse and Byung-Hun Lee is going to kill mother fuckers with flint throwing knives.  I am good with that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I read about a 1/3 of the book (I had to return it to the library before I finished - I was basically at the point in the trailer around the questioning)

But I didn't know Allison Janney was in it so this just immediately shot back up my interest list

I picked this up shortly after it won the 2015 Goodreads Award.  It is excellent stuff.  Looking forward to the movie.

Spoiler

I just hope it won't be as tricky to follow as the novel.  Dishonesty and alcoholism lead to a large number of unreliable narrators in the story, but Paula Hawkins manages to keep the narrative from completely going off the rails.  

I want the movie to be just as complex without requiring me to take notes in order to keep up with the plot.

38 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Matt Damon is back from Mars and is pissed

Yeah, I am digging the transition of Bourne from baby-faced assassin to grizzled veteran assbeater.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Well now...

I've read Mazur's books.  He put in a lot of good work against El Patron, but so did a lot of other people that won't get their own movies. 

I am not sure if he needs to be turned into a folk hero.

And that ID4 trailer is FIRE. I'll be there opening weekend. I don't think it gives all of the plot away unless it ends with humanity being completely fucked. And hey! Brent Spiner's back! I thought his character died?

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

So...Cocaine Cowboys. but from the law enforcement side. Sign me up!

When you put it that way it sounds awesome, but I think I'd rather watch Narcos.  The lack of personal stamp and objectivity makes Narcos feel more real.

The screams of rage you hear in the distance are are those of JH

ghost_in_the_shell_2017-t3.jpg

Rinko Kikuchi auditioned for this role in Pacific Rim as Mako Mori.  I guess they liked Scarlett's Natasha Romanoff better.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

The screams of rage you hear in the distance are are those of JH

ghost_in_the_shell_2017-t3.jpg

Rinko Kikuchi auditioned for this role in Pacific Rim as Mako Mori.  I guess they liked Scarlett's Natasha Romanoff better.

If we're being honest Scarlett's Romanoff is a better fit for the Major than Kikuchi's Mako Mori actual personality wise. Honestly I wish they had just changed up the names and characters to fit the US setting.

The Mako Mori role was the bellwether to show that Rinko can do action and stunts and, most importantly, can pull off the bobbed page boy hairdo..  

tumblr_mu9z8lUQox1rcc6oio2_1280.jpg

We already know from Babel that she has the acting chops and the range.

I have no problems with Scarlett in the role, but if you are going to whitewash Ghost in the Shell, as you said, change the names of the characters and roll the setting over to the US.

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

And that ID4 trailer is FIRE. I'll be there opening weekend. I don't think it gives all of the plot away unless it ends with humanity being completely fucked. And hey! Brent Spiner's back! I thought his character died?

Well, yes, but remember, Dr. Soong made two of them.

• Like 5

Disney went a little  wild with its announcements

Disney officially announced Maleficent 2, The Jungle Book 2 and more!

With director Jon Favreau‘s The Jungle Book number one at the domestic box office for the second week in a row, Walt Disney Pictures has officially updated its release schedule for its upcoming live-action fairy tale films. Along with the new schedule comes a number of project confirmations, including the official announcement of both another Favreau-helmed Jungle Book film and the return of Angelina Jolie in Maleficent 2! The Jungle Book sequel will also see the return of screenwriter Justin Marks, while Linda Woolverton will be back to write Maleficent 2.

The current schedule will next deliver James Bobin’s Alice in Wonderland sequel, Alice Through the Looking Glass, to theaters on May 27. August 12 will then bring David Lowery’s updated take on Pete’s Dragon, while March 17, 2017 will bring director Bill Condon’s much-anticipated, live-action take on Beauty and the Beast.

While no specific titles have yet been announced connected to the following dates, Disney will deliver another live-action fairy tale feature on July 28, 2017 (one was previously set for December 22, 2017). 2018 will then bring three films: a fairy tale film on April 6 with two non-specified live-action features arriving on August 3 and December 25. Another live-action fairy tale film has claimed a December 20, 2019 release.

In addition to The Jungle Book 2 and Maleficent 2, live-action projects in the works at Disney include Cruella, which will star Emma Stone as the 101 Dalmatians villain and which will feature a screenplay by Kelly Marcel. A Wrinkle in Time, meanwhile, will adapt the Madeleine L’Engle novel with Ava DuVernay directing from a script by Jennifer Lee. Jungle Cruise will star Dwayne Johnson and will feature a screenplay by John Requa and Glenn Ficarra writing. Tim Burton will direct Dumbo with Ehren Kruger writing. Rob Marshall will take on a Mary Poppins sequel with Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda set to star. Lasse Hallstrom will direct Ashleigh Powell’s script The Nutcracker and the Four Realms. And finally, Reese Witherspoon will play Tinker Bell in an untitled feature scripted by Victoria Strouse!

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/679927-maleficent-2-jungle-book-2#/slide/1

• Like 1

There is so much to love and hate in that announcement.

What worked:

• Ava DuVernay?  A WRINKLE IN TIME? FUCK YEAH~!
  • Jungle Book was fucking awesome.  I expect the same from Jungle Book 2, especially if they remember that the story line that begins with Mowgli's Brothers isn't the only running tale in The Jungle Book.  Do Rikki Tikki Tavi or The White Seal dammit!

What didn't work:

• Maleficent 2? NOOOOOOOOO~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reese Witherspoon as Tinker Bell?  ANNA FARIS IS RIGHT FUCKING THERE~!

What may or may not work.

• Edward Scissorhands says that Tim Burton should never be allowed to direct a Dumbo movie.   Big Fish says that Tim Burton is the first guy you call to direct a Dumbo movie.

• Like 1