DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Reactions - SPOILERS HERE ONLY

goodhelmet

Hell, I think a midquel based on Palpatine and Vader would be a great idea. We've never really gotten a big in-depth look at the inner workings of the Empire during the height of its powers. They should lock that shit down before James Earl Jones or Ian McDiarmid dies.

• Like 1

Well, the first one takes places just before Hope, so we *could* get a Vader or Palapatine appearance. Anyone else would have to be recast with someone younger.

At one point, it was reported that they were somewhat controversially going to use a CG Peter Cushing for Tarkin in ROGUE ONE.

It isn't so much that he sold the property, so much as he put it in a box for sixteen years, pulled it out and took a massive dump all over it, and then put it back in a box for another ten years.

Nice to know he thinks it's a family soap opera now. He used to think it was about trades routes, taxation and

You can tell George wants to choke a bitch.

I would pay an absurd amount of money for a George Lucas Honest Commentary track on the TFA blu-ray.

I'd buy him whatever he would like to drink to make it more magical. Drunk Lucas ranting about anything would probably be a special type of awesome.

It isn't so much that he sold the property, so much as he put it in a box for sixteen years, pulled it out and took a massive dump all over it, and then put it back in a box for another ten years.

Yeah that's what annoys me about that clip. If you're old and not sure you'll have time to do three more movies why are you waiting? I'm also sick of his "I wanna do other things" bullshit - he said that after the prequels and all he produced was some shitty animated movie and a treatment for....a Star Wars tv series. What's more, if you already have the idea set in stone as to how the story plays, write the scripts and just hire three directors to do the heavy lifting. Like JJ or whoever wouldn't jump at the chance to direct a Lucas penned SW story.

I actually would love to know what he had planned because it is his story but the Monday morning quarterbacking he's doing comes across so petty. At least Roddenberry didn't go around bad mouthing Trek after he got pushed out after that first movie.

I think in the back of his head, George wanted to eat his cake and eat it too. He wanted the FOUR BILLION for the franchise but he wanted them to use his ideas for the following movies. His ego couldn't wrap around the idea that the 4 billion was in exchange for him not having a say in the matter. 

At least Roddenberry didn't go around bad mouthing Trek after he got pushed out after that first movie.

Speaking of which, check out "Chaos on the Bridge" on Netflix...

• Like 1

Like JJ or whoever wouldn't jump at the chance to direct a Lucas penned SW story.

Did you not see Phantom Menace?

I think in the back of his head, George wanted to eat his cake and eat it too. He wanted the FOUR BILLION for the franchise but he wanted them to use his ideas for the following movies. His ego couldn't wrap around the idea that the 4 billion was in exchange for him not having a say in the matter. 

Isn't it more like, Disney is out of/scared to try original ideas and it's easier to buy and repackage established products, which has been their business model for a while now.

Finally saw this today.  Really liked it.  About the only complaint I could level at it is that the pace is maybe a little too snappy.  Like they say "We've got to get out of there" and then they're out of there, right quick.  In that sense it kind of telegraphed Solo's death  because the movie rarely slowed down too much for conversations, so when we get the short catching up scene with Leia and Han, it makes sense that one of them is about to die.  I love that the two new leads are a black guy and a girl, kinda cool to imagine kids on a playground playing 'Star Wars' and aspiring to be heros that aren't white males.  It almost brought a tear to my eye thinking about it all honesty.  Also, Luke Skywalker looked really cool, like much cooler than I was expecting after all these years.  Part of me hopes that Snoke is about the same size as Yoda.

Like JJ or whoever wouldn't jump at the chance to direct a Lucas penned SW story.

Isn't it more like, Disney is out of/scared to try original ideas and it's easier to buy and repackage established products, which has been their business model for a while now.

Except, y'know... Pixar.

Except, y'know... Pixar.

Didn't Disney get in bed Pixar because of how crappy their own stuff was doing? It says as such in their Wikipedia. It even mentions how they were each responsible solely for their own products.

Disney outside of Mickey and his friends has always been about repackaging established products, it was a lot cheaper in the 1930's and 40's when doing it with public domain fairy tales. 

Lucas having sellers remorse shouldn't surprise anyone, besides the whole "not what I would have done" thing I bet he's kicking himself for not getting 5 or 6 billion for it. Besides the box office numbers Disney is raking it in with all of the tie in's with companies I don't think Lucas would have ever thought of hooking up with(Chrysler and Cover Girl) and the cash the Star Wars Lands at the US parks will bring Disney when they open in a few years.

George Lucas had one of the most valuable IPs of the last 30 years and did next to nothing with it. And when he did do something, it was disappointing. Then he got 4 Billion. I hope no one feels sorry for him. I am glad that Disney got it so that I can enjoy Star Wars again.

• Like 1

A friend of mine was making the argument that people are unfairly bashing George Lucas because of that interview because to Lucas, Star Wars was his baby and he doesn't have that anymore. Not only that, but all he sees now are people (rightfully) overjoyed at TFA and shitting all over Lucas and the Prequels saying, "thanks goodness Lucas is gone!" When he sees all of that, he's going to feel salty or sad.

I tend to agree, but again, no one put a gun to Lucas' head and forced him to sell the franchise he was doing nothing with. Not only that, but if the Star Wars movies are Lucas' kids and they're now in control of "white slavers," then what does that make Lucas? He also mixes up his metaphors in that interviewing, first referring to the situation as what not to do with an ex-girlfriend, and then referring to the movies as his kids. It's all very whiny, which my friend did agree with.

I also mentioned that if George Lucas didn't want to be shit on by everyone, then he shouldn't have made three really awful prequel movies, he shouldn't have tried to look like the smartest guy in the room by shoving Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christiansen down our throats, and he shouldn't have made totally shitty updates to the original movies and then not allow DVDs or BDs to be printed of the un-edited versions of those movies. My friend agreed with this as well.

Even still, I suppose it's understandable that George Lucas is salty these days, but he's the one responsible for all of that, so I'm not excusing his lame behavior.

• Like 1