DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Reactions - SPOILERS HERE ONLY

goodhelmet

I thought the action was great, the acting was mostly hits with a few misses, and the story had some holes and was an obvious tribute to the OT. My biggest problem was probably how they just the let the one storm trooper (who just happened to be under review for his conduct on the battle field) out of I'm guessing 100's of storm troopers available be the one to bring Poe wherever they were taking him. First off Fin should've been under surveillance until the review was done. That whole escape was just some half assed writing.

I am pretty sure he made that up, he wasn't told to bring Poe anywhere. He went in there on his own to get him out and lied to the guard.

Poe getting off Jakku, that was half assed writing. But not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

It doesn't change the fact Poe should've been heavily guarded, and Fin shouldn't have been left to wander around doing whatever he wanted while he was under review.

I thought the action was great, the acting was mostly hits with a few misses, and the story had some holes and was an obvious tribute to the OT. My biggest problem was probably how they just the let the one storm trooper (who just happened to be under review for his conduct on the battle field) out of I'm guessing 100's of storm troopers available be the one to bring Poe wherever they were taking him. First off Fin should've been under surveillance until the review was done. That whole escape was just some half assed writing.

I am pretty sure he made that up, he wasn't told to bring Poe anywhere. He went in there on his own to get him out and lied to the guard.

Poe getting off Jakku, that was half assed writing. But not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

It doesn't change the fact Poe should've been heavily guarded, and Fin shouldn't have been left to wander around doing whatever he wanted while he was under review.

The good guy in action/adventure movies not being heavily guarded is a common theme, didn't really bother me. I mean in Episode IV, Leia had really no guards when Luke rescued her, I haven't seen the movie in awhile but I don't think he shot anyone to get to her. Rey only had one guard, since they knew at that point she had force powers I'd think you'd be more annoyed about that, they should have known better. 

Who was Poe's father? 

After looking it up the old dude wasn't his dad, but still he literally just got cut in half in the same spot Poe is standing, and he's cracking jokes. That was pretty weird. Also I'm wondering where Fin's sense of humor came from being raised as storm trooper from birth. Do storm troopers sit around watching episodes of Buffy all day? I'm in the camp of everything thing Rey tried worked and that was a little much. Even the one time she screwed up letting the monsters out ended up helping the good guys. I enjoyed the movie, and plan on seeing the next, but it's mostly for the OT characters. Rey, Fin, Poe, Kylo = meh to me. Hopefully they improve that the next film.

How any Star Wars fan can say this film is good when it contradicts an established scene and general concepts in how things work, keeps making me questioning the sanity of some people.

Have you watched the movies or just read about them the past decade?

I stopped watching Star Wars when it started sucking too. Doesn't mean I still wasn't interested in what they were up to.

Well luckily you're in the only 10% that doesn't like the movie, maybe Star Wars just isn't for you. I wouldn't like the Harry Potter movies, so I didn't watch them and didn't complain about them. Just an idea.

I said the movie was mediocre. I'm disappointed in the film because I had such high hopes for the film because I was a fan and someone other than Lucas was getting a crack at it. Sorry if my sharing of my opinions bothers you. Set me to ignore and move on.

You should check out Potter, at least the first one, as a movie, it's better than Force Awakens by miles. I'm not a fan of the books, but after sitting through all of the movies, that first one was pretty good honestly.

How any Star Wars fan can say this film is good when it contradicts an established scene and general concepts in how things work, keeps making me questioning the sanity of some people.

I stopped watching Star Wars when it started sucking too. Doesn't mean I still wasn't interested in what they were up to.

Well luckily you're in the only 10% that doesn't like the movie, maybe Star Wars just isn't for you. I wouldn't like the Harry Potter movies, so I didn't watch them and didn't complain about them. Just an idea.

I said the movie was mediocre. I'm disappointed in the film because I had such high hopes for the film because I was a fan and someone other than Lucas was getting a crack at it. Sorry if my sharing of my opinions bothers you. Set me to ignore and move on.

You should check out Potter, at least the first one, as a movie, it's better than Force Awakens by miles. I'm not a fan of the books, but after sitting through all of the movies, that first one was pretty good honestly.

Just to clarify, did you watch the movie?

Just to clarify, did you watch the movie?

Force Awakens, yes.

You watched all the Harry Potter films, and your reaction was the "first one was pretty good"? Did you like the later ones, where the kids had actually learned how to act instead of just saying "Wow"?

Also, what does Force Awakens contradict exactly?

• Like 1

Goodhelmet, thanks for the detailed second impression, I appreciated it. I'm with you on pretty much everything. I didn't really get a lot of the criticisms and felt like some of the nuances, particularly in the lightsaber battles were missed.

I've only seen it once but will be going with a buddy who hasn't seen it yet sometime next week and can't wait.

The first Potter film is the second worst, and the second one is the worst. Christopher Columbus is not a good director, and the adaptations are way too slavish to the novels.

But the latter films bring talented directors, amazing cinematography, and many of the best actors from the British Isles having a blast.

Plus, as mentioned, those kids learned how to act as they grew up.

You watched all the Harry Potter films, and your reaction was the "first one was pretty good"? Did you like the later ones, where the kids had actually learned how to act instead of just saying "Wow"?

Also, what does Force Awakens contradict exactly?

Maybe it's that I marathoned them back to back, but I just kept becoming less and less interested. I remember another one being pretty good too, but by the last one I was just glad it was over.

New Hope, they go over Luke being crappy with a lightsaber. Now maybe I missed something because I did step out to potty for a minute, but how did Rey gain the ability to pickup a lightsaber and hold her own against a guy we likely suspect was trained in it. I get it could be the force, but it just felt so wrong after that scene in new hope.

Because they established she had basic martial ability with her stick she carried the whole movie, easily taking down Finn, who also would've had basic martial ability being a Stormtrooper and all.

That, and Ren was injured from the bowcaster shot from Chewie and the one hit Finn got in on the shoulder before he fought with Rey, and Rey threw the rest of his concentration off with getting the lightsaber in the first place, and they pretty much established that once you shake Kylo's concentration, his ability drops like a stone.

That was just from paying attention to the movie and not pre-planning my scathing review during it.

• Like 7

Because they established she had basic martial ability with her stick she carried the whole movie, easily taking down Finn, who also would've had basic martial ability being a Stormtrooper and all.

That, and Ren was injured from the bowcaster shot from Chewie and the one hit Finn got in on the shoulder before he fought with Rey, and Rey threw the rest of his concentration off with getting the lightsaber in the first place, and they pretty much established that once you shake Kylo's concentration, his ability drops like a stone.

That was just from paying attention to the movie and not pre-planning my scathing review during it.

When has being proficient in one weapon made you proficient in another? Nevermind one as complicated as a lightsaber.

Maybe his concentration was down, but he would have years more experience with the weapon that they never established her having any with.

How does one preplan something negative when they are going in with high hopes?

Bigger issue that I'm sure I'm alone on, did the whole thing feel like a rip off of new hope?

We don't know her past, but lots of people are assuming she was a youngling training under Luke at some point before Ben Solo went darkside. Younglings recieve lightsaber training.

When has being proficient in one weapon made you proficient in another? Nevermind one as complicated as a lightsaber.

Maybe his concentration was down, but he would have years more experience with the weapon that they never established her having any with.

Bigger issue that I'm sure I'm alone on, did the whole thing feel like a rip off of new hope?

1. She wasn't that proficient. I don't expect you to rewatch the movie but I addressed this in the post I made before. Kylo Ren went into the fight to seduce Rey to the Dark Side. Rey went into survival mode. The only reason she lived is because Kylo Ren decided to cut a monologue and reminded Rey about the Force. Her Force was awakened. It's actually the entire basis for the title of the film. 

2. I am not going to assume you went in with a negative attitude. I only know you came in here with a half-hearted dismissal of the film to the point where people weren't even sure you had seen it. No big deal if you didn't like it. 

3. I didn't expand but it wasn't just a ripoff of New Hope. It's actually an homage to the entire trilogy. On a micro-scale, I am going to watch it once more before I expand on this but on the macro, it's basically reminding people everything they love about Star Was and washing away the stain of the prequels. If you disagree, that is cool but it isn't a scene for scene / character rehash of A New Hope. 

• Like 2

We don't know her past, but lots of people are assuming she was a youngling training under Luke at some point before Ben Solo went darkside. Younglings recieve lightsaber training.

Well that would explain things but didn't she need to get confirmation about Luke from Han which would suggest she's never met him?

1. She wasn't that proficient. I don't expect you to rewatch the movie but I addressed this in the post I made before. Kylo Ren went into the fight to seduce Rey to the Dark Side. Rey went into survival mode. The only reason she lived is because Kylo Ren decided to cut a monologue and reminded Rey about the Force. Her Force was awakened. It's actually the entire basis for the title of the film.

2. I am not going to assume you went in with a negative attitude. I only know you came in here with a half-hearted dismissal of the film to the point where people weren't even sure you had seen it. No big deal if you didn't like it.

3. I didn't expand but it wasn't just a ripoff of New Hope. It's actually an homage to the entire trilogy. On a micro-scale, I am going to watch it once more before I expand on this but on the macro, it's basically reminding people everything they love about Star Was and washing away the stain of the prequels. If you disagree, that is cool but it isn't a scene for scene / character rehash of A New Hope.

End of the day I still just walked out going meh. Infinite resources and they couldn't come up with anything better than deathstar 4.

Unrelated and total nitpick, but has there ever been a reason for why both sides weapons shoot different colored lasers?

The lightsabers seem to be at least somewhat color coded (red = Sith lord, blue = Jedi night, green = Jedi master) but not always consistently.

The lasers seem to be just to make it easier to follow.