DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING - Try 2

RIPPA

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what are his views on Muslims?

Standard New Atheist stuff about how all religions are bad but Islam is the worst.

:rolleyes:   

So Cornette now has something against Greenfield?  Dude never met a bridge he didn't burn.

An old saying that I really like applies here: If me say you met an asshole in the morning, then you met an asshole in the morning.  If you say you met assholes all day, maybe you're the asshole.

I think her leaving has a lot to do with Cornette's brewing feud with Greenfield, since she and Alex are friends. I don't condone social media harassment, and it sucks that people did that to her, but that doesn't mean I have to miss or like her, either.  

Yeah, but she called out Konnan in particular for being a dick to her. He does come off bad sometimes, but I enjoy listening to him also.

Im taking Jim's side on the oncoming fued. He's right, I don't think Alex is right on trying to tell Corny how wrestling should should work.

It'd be great to know what really happened, but in the end, we win because we will get good podcast for the next week or two.

Alice was the reason I didn't like Cornette's podcast. How did she get that gig anyways?

When she quit MLW, Jim asked her to come on and produce/co-host his show. I guess he probably did it due to her having a pleasant voice, because her knowledge of wrestling was minimal, at best. 

I used to follow her on Twitter, but then she blocked me after I had the audacity to say I preferred Colt Cabana's podcast to Jim's. Yeah, she was quite the sycophant. 

Funnily enough, Alice answered that on her last Drive-Thru episode: She started a wrestling podcast, Court heard it, liked her, and brought her into the MLW family as a producer/personality. She admitted to enjoying her time on Corny's show before pausing and facetiously saying how chaotic things are behind the scenes at MLW.

Am I the only person not happy the WWE signed Ranallo? Never liked him as an announcer, ever.

I'm with Mad Dog. Anything I've seen Ranallo working on, he was not good. Bad News Allan shoulda hit him with the Ghetto Blaster when they were commentating new Stampede together.

I think Marty and I still have some sort of PTSD from the days of the TRW TV show taking over ECCW, along with Mauro commentating 90% of it as if it were a total joke (which it was, but you don't actually act that way on camera), which nearly killed the promotion off inside of a year before TRW was dumped and ECCW spent over a year getting back the trust of the fans.  Bridgeview Hall shows were down to 40 people at one point. 

So yeah, not looking forward to Mauro on SmackDown unless WWE reins him in bigtime.

Agreeing with Sweetser 100% on that, but there's more: the few times I attempted "Aftermath" (wrestling talk-show gimmick that comes on in Canada on the Score after WWE shows; Renee Young came from it FWIW), and Ranallo was on, he was always so disgusted with professional wrestling and treated WWE like a joke; I guess on that note it will be amusing to watch him about-face and kiss ass. But going further back to his tenure with Tomko's All Star Wrestling out of Vancouver in the 80s...he sucked. Sure, he was just a kid when he started, but as a color-commentator he spoke over top of the PBP guy, and as a heel manager he interrupted his charges and completely fucked with their promos ALL THE TIME. And he never got corrected for it. He does get some enthusiasm going from time to time, but he has Matt Stryker tendencies in that he's going to make references to dudes that nobody "mainstream" knows and it will come off as sounding smug (like Stryker), and I just don't see it going anywhere. 

• Like 1

Am I the only person not happy the WWE signed Ranallo? Never liked him as an announcer, ever.

I'm with Mad Dog. Anything I've seen Ranallo working on, he was not good. Bad News Allan shoulda hit him with the Ghetto Blaster when they were commentating new Stampede together.

I think Marty and I still have some sort of PTSD from the days of the TRW TV show taking over ECCW, along with Mauro commentating 90% of it as if it were a total joke (which it was, but you don't actually act that way on camera), which nearly killed the promotion off inside of a year before TRW was dumped and ECCW spent over a year getting back the trust of the fans.  Bridgeview Hall shows were down to 40 people at one point. 

So yeah, not looking forward to Mauro on SmackDown unless WWE reins him in bigtime.

Agreeing with Sweetser 100% on that, but there's more: the few times I attempted "Aftermath" (wrestling talk-show gimmick that comes on in Canada on the Score after WWE shows; Renee Young came from it FWIW), and Ranallo was on, he was always so disgusted with professional wrestling and treated WWE like a joke; I guess on that note it will be amusing to watch him about-face and kiss ass. But going further back to his tenure with Tomko's All Star Wrestling out of Vancouver in the 80s...he sucked. Sure, he was just a kid when he started, but as a color-commentator he spoke over top of the PBP guy, and as a heel manager he interrupted his charges and completely fucked with their promos ALL THE TIME. And he never got corrected for it. He does get some enthusiasm going from time to time, but he has Matt Stryker tendencies in that he's going to make references to dudes that nobody "mainstream" knows and it will come off as sounding smug (like Stryker), and I just don't see it going anywhere. 

Pretty much this.  Even if it *is* a joke, the idea is to present it seriously so that it gets over as a result.  If it's such a joke to you, why are you doing it?

• Like 1

I know Scott Keith is not liked much here, but he dropped this gem and I'm curious if someone could expand on it, as I have not heard this story. Is this what lead to the Hogan vs Hansen match that is regarded as one of Hogan's best?

Plus there was the famous incident on the joint WWE show in Japan where Hogan was booked to beat (Terry) Gordy and then Gordy decided against doing the job to HULK HOGAN because it would make him look bad. That didn’t earn him any friends.

I know Scott Keith is not liked much here, but he dropped this gem and I'm curious if someone could expand on it, as I have not heard this story. Is this what lead to the Hogan vs Hansen match that is regarded as one of Hogan's best?

Plus there was the famous incident on the joint WWE show in Japan where Hogan was booked to beat (Terry) Gordy and then Gordy decided against doing the job to HULK HOGAN because it would make him look bad. That didn’t earn him any friends.

Yes, Gordy didn't want to take the fall so Hansen was put into the spot instead.

Stan Hansen talked Gordy out of the match because Hogan had JUST lost the title to Warrior, and Baba was upset about it.  Hansen then offered to work the match with Hogan and get the payday.

Nobody really cared that Gordy backed out

Stan Hansen talked Gordy out of the match because Hogan had JUST lost the title to Warrior, and Baba was upset about it.  Hansen then offered to work the match with Hogan and get the payday.

Nobody really cared that Gordy backed out

That's some true "working" right there.

That pretty much jibes with Hansen's version. Gordy was being groomed for the top gaijin spot, so he didn't want to drop a fall. Hansen stepped in at Baba's request, and between refusing to do a job, and some alcohol-related incidents, Gordy never did get that top spot.

Aside from the Hogan/Hansen match being way more competitive than any Hogan match was in years at that point, did Gordy really think there was a snowballs chance in hell that Hogan would be putting anyone over? Hansen was a better businessman.

Gordy thought it wasn't a good time for him to put an outsider over on such a big stage, and using Hansen's own rise in All Japan as a model, it's hardly an indefensible position, but he didn't go about it well, and it hurt his standing with Baba.

Meltzer mentioned it on one of his shows a week or two ago, which is probably where Keith got it. Did Keith just trot that one out like he was dropping knowledge?  Hilarious.