DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING - Try 2

RIPPA

The last WWE shirt I ever bought was the word life shirt with the block logo WW when I was 15-- my friends and I were big fans of early Cena. The freestyles were a unique concept, and seemed like they were the natural progression of 1999-2001 when you had guys like the Outlaws, Angle, and Jericho trash talking on their way to the ring.

I don't recall since I haven't been a regular here in so many years, but is this a safe place to say that Seth Rollins sucks? At everything. Awful promos, complete lack of storytelling and psychology in the ring, and wrestles like an indie shit head trying to get "this is awesome" chants instead of like the even more of a chicken shit than Edge character he's portrayed as. That guy on top has been miserable to me and I was happy to see any reason to get him off TV for a while.

The internet had such a hard on for hating on Roman's push for the past 2 years, but no one has had a harder push with more exposure than Rollins since Cena's big push. And it was terrible the whole time. And then he killed Stang. cn0SnGo.png

I don't recall since I haven't been a regular here in so many years, but is this a safe place to say that Seth Rollins sucks?

It's been said once or twice around here. I don't hate him, but really, the WWE has enough "enzuigiris and superkicks" guys on the roster already.

They need to pick a lane with all the superkicks. Give it to Rollins or Ziggler or whoever, and tell everybody else to chill.

Actually, Breeze would benefit most  from it if they ever intend to make him a featured guy.

At what point did Cena turn into the ball-less smiling poopiez joke slinging company man he is now?

Well outside of the first couple of months, his raps were mostly juvenile poop/dick jokes that got progressively less complex in structure so it wasn't much of a leap.

Modern Cena basically started in 2005, though. He had a brief stint as "the marine," which is when crowds started to sour on him. After some futile attempts to get crowds 100% back on his side, he settled into being "Just John Cena" the first half of 2006.

They need to pick a lane with all the superkicks. Give it to Rollins or Ziggler or whoever, and tell everybody else to chill.

Actually, Breeze would benefit most  from it if they ever intend to make him a featured guy.

Well, at last count:

Alberto Del Rio

Adrian Neville

Kevin Owens

Seth Rollins

Rusev

Jimmy Uso

Jey Uso

Dolph Ziggler

...all use the superkick in some manner. 

At what point did Cena turn into the ball-less smiling poopiez joke slinging company man he is now?

Well outside of the first couple of months, his raps were mostly juvenile poop/dick jokes that got progressively less complex in structure so it wasn't much of a leap.

Modern Cena basically started in 2005, though. He had a brief stint as "the marine," which is when crowds started to sour on him. After some futile attempts to get crowds 100% back on his side, he settled into being "Just John Cena" the first half of 2006.

In '06 is when he started getting all the merch and became the coordinated t-shirt, hat, wristbands guy. That's what I think of as "company man Cena."

Well, at last count:

Alberto Del Rio

Adrian Neville

Kevin Owens

Seth Rollins

Rusev

Jimmy Uso

Jey Uso

Dolph Ziggler

...all use the superkick in some manner. 

My god, it just occurred to me how much worse WWE announcing could be, if Steve Corino worked there.

• Like 1

I've been on the Rollins hate train for awhile. I think I'd be less vocal about how awful he is at pro wrestling except that I routinely see people online swear up and down that he is way way way better than Roman Reigns when Reigns is so clearly leagues ahead of Rollins at the art of pro wrestling that I half assume that everyone who says that Rollins is better than Reigns is trolling. 

I think Ambrose is better than Rollins too, which might be a bridge too far for some folks. 

Anyway, I sense that the company is going to promote Rollins like HBK 2.0 in the sense that he'll be put over as this all-time great wrestler far beyond what he actually is except that Michaels was still a really good wrestler when you look past the hyperbole, whereas Rollins sucks and was never good at any point, not in his ROH stuff, not in anything else I've ever seen him in (EDIT: Specifically as a singles guy because the Shield stuff was obviously great). 

I've been on the Rollins hate train for awhile. I think I'd be less vocal about how awful he is at pro wrestling except that I routinely see people online swear up and down that he is way way way better than Roman Reigns when Reigns is so clearly leagues ahead of Rollins at the art of pro wrestling that I half assume that everyone who says that Rollins is better than Reigns is trolling. 

I think Ambrose is better than Rollins too, which might be a bridge too far for some folks. 

Anyway, I sense that the company is going to promote Rollins like HBK 2.0 in the sense that he'll be put over as this all-time great wrestler far beyond what he actually is except that Michaels was still a really good wrestler when you look past the hyperbole, whereas Rollins sucks and was never good at any point, not in his ROH stuff, not in anything else I've ever seen him in (EDIT: Specifically as a singles guy because the Shield stuff was obviously great). 

Reigns is a significantly better wrestler in the ring when it comes to selling, psychology, and weaving his signature moves in and out in new ways to keep them fresh. For me. Reigns is probably the worker of the year for WWE if we aren't counting NXT. I think he's been genuinely great since Fastlane.

He should be a babyface so in that sense, the injury may be the best thing that ever happened to him. I don't see how people could say that he actively sucks in the ring, though. Maybe he doesn't work the way you want him to work but he's not bad at pro wrestling.

He's bad at selling, he's bad at telling stories, he's bad at working in a way that is consistent with his character. That seems actively bad to me.

I think Reigns has the potential to be better than Rollins when he's in there with the right guy (see the Bryan and Brock matches, amongst others) but agree that Ambrose is better than Rollins. Sure, he does some sloppy shit at times, and that lariat from the 2nd rope is silly as all get out, but he's a great brawler. I'd put him in the same category as Luke Harper and Bray Wyatt as guys who, if they were around in the late 70s or late 90s and allowed to be truly violent, they'd be 10 times the star they are.  Promo-wise, Ambrose is so much more believable than either of his Shield cohorts, it makes up for any in-ring deficiencies in my book. Especially this era we've been in for what seems like 70 years where guys have to come out and do 20 minutes of schtick on the mic every week. I DO like Rollins, especially his stuff with Cena, but he hasn't been as routinely good as a singles as the other two, IMO.

I'd argue that Dean also isn't that good in the ring as a solo guy, but he's booked completely against his strengths. He's not the dude you book in the 15-20 minute TV match every week with lots of technical wrestling and holds. He's a dude that should have twice as many promos as matches, and the TV maches he should have should never be more than 7 minutes.

Shouldn't Rollins be considered a failure due to ratings drop?  Isn't that how it's traditionally blamed?

Probably, but since ratings have been on a steady decline for 13 years no matter who is champ, it's hard to blame it just on him. I'd love to, though.