DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL: WEEK NINE

RIPPA

This York and Baalke combo is the scariest part of this whole thing. York, can't do much about him. But Baalke had an opportunity to fix up the o-line and the secondary after the departures and did nothing. Obviously you can't replace the pass rushers but he could have done something about those two units and did not. They are among the worst in the entire league. Can't protect the QB at all. Can't defend the pass and don't have enough pass rushing to offset it.

It's a terrible team but I don't think he'll be held accountable.

Look at this o-line outside of Staley:

2015 PFF Run Blocking Grades:
Boone: -8.9 (79th of 80 Guards)
Martin: -22.0 (35 of 35 C)
Devey: -7.3 (78 of 80 G)
Pears: -13.7 (78 of 78 T)

Kaep's short throws have looked like a golfer with the yips where he thinks so much about what to do and then he just plonks the ball straight into the ground.

I still like him as a player, as an athletic talent. But he looks like a guy to me who is crying out for a bit of goddamn support from his coaching staff.

Hard for me to believe Gabbert gets more than one game.

Kaep has earned his benching, but I'd like to see them give him the rest of the season to figure it out. It would be one thing if black quarterbacks who flame out get second chances, but they don't. If Kaepernick gets benched for the rest of the season, his career is over. He may sign somewhere else, but he's not going to be a guy who floats from team to team like Kilpatrick, Hoyer, or McCown.

Please...Vick, Byron Leftwich, Bruce Gradkowski... There are plenty of black QBs who were given multiple chances to start by different teams. When teams are starting guys like Fitzpatrick or Brian Hoyer there is no way Kaep's "career is over." The lack of quality QBimg dictates anybody who has some success gets multiple chances by necessity.

Now there is an argument that low end black QBs tend to wash out faster than white counterparts (take Terrell Pryor as opposed to say Weeden) but successful ones - even if the success was fleeting - never have trouble finding jobs.

They're not trying to win. They shouldn't be trying to win. The difference between 2-14 and 6-10 is meaningless success wise but is huge draft wise.

I understand that too.  I'm fine with that. My overall point is how quickly the NFL will give up on a Kaepernick but nobody says "Hey, why does Gabbert have a job?"

And in fairness, everyone would be wondering why Gabbert has a job if people even KNEW he had a job prior to this week.  So it's not like anyone is on the Gabbert train.

I also don't think the NFL gave up on Kaepernick, just SF. I'd be stunned if they didn't get calls once the news came out. I don't disagree with the premise that it's unfair that Matt Cassel got way more chances than Rohan Davey but I don't think Colin is a good illustration of that fact.

I don't disagree with the premise that it's unfair that Matt Cassel got way more chances than Rohan Davey but I don't think Colin is a good illustration of that fact.

Cassel has two* double digit win seasons on his resume.  Davey played well in NFL Europe...  Without that season of throwing the ball to Randy Moss and Wesley then wouldn't Cassel have faded into obscurity/AFL too.

Also, I think Cam Newton is a better QB than Kaep and he's made some ridiculous throws this season but if you compare the two and how they've played..  there's not much difference stats wise. The biggest difference is Cam has a better o-line and a better defense.

When Kaep had those things he played like an MVP candidate throughout the end of the '12 season and in the playoffs too.  Another difference is Carolina is well aware that Cam is making chicken salad out of shit with his receiving corps (outside of Olsen who is awesome) and he appears to have the full support of the team and they are winning.

49ers start losing..  let's blame Kaep.

Kaep has earned his benching, but I'd like to see them give him the rest of the season to figure it out.  It would be one thing if black quarterbacks who flame out get second chances, but they don't.  If Kaepernick gets benched for the rest of the season, his career is over.  He may sign somewhere else, but he's not going to be a guy who floats from team to team like Kilpatrick, Hoyer, or McCown. 

Entirely too harsh.

Also it's still a little early to cast Gabbert as the eternally-recyclable shitty white quarterback.  After all, so far the only front office fool enough to give him a second chance is York and Baalke, and they're clearly fools :)   Maybe he already would be long gone from the league if not for them.

Also, I think Cam Newton is a better QB than Kaep and he's made some ridiculous throws this season but if you compare the two and how they've played.. there's not much difference stats wise. The biggest difference is Cam has a better o-line and a better defense.

When Kaep had those things he played like an MVP candidate throughout the end of the '12 season and in the playoffs too. Another difference is Carolina is well aware that Cam is making chicken salad out of shit with his receiving corps (outside of Olsen who is awesome) and he appears to have the full support of the team and they are winning.

49ers start losing.. let's blame Kaep.

Well, when the media narrative is that everything begins and ends with the QB, that's what happens.

I don't disagree with the premise that it's unfair that Matt Cassel got way more chances than Rohan Davey but I don't think Colin is a good illustration of that fact.

Cassel has two* double digit win seasons on his resume. Davey played well in NFL Europe... Without that season of throwing the ball to Randy Moss and Wesley then wouldn't Cassel have faded into obscurity/AFL too.

When did Davey get a chance? I was also using a random fun black QB.

Also, I think Cam Newton is a better QB than Kaep and he's made some ridiculous throws this season but if you compare the two and how they've played.. there's not much difference stats wise. The biggest difference is Cam has a better o-line and a better defense.

When Kaep had those things he played like an MVP candidate throughout the end of the '12 season and in the playoffs too. Another difference is Carolina is well aware that Cam is making chicken salad out of shit with his receiving corps (outside of Olsen who is awesome) and he appears to have the full support of the team and they are winning.

49ers start losing.. let's blame Kaep.

Well, when the media narrative is that everything begins and ends with the QB, that's what happens.

Win/loss records being attributed to QB's are one of my biggest football pet peeves. It seems like a way of not talking about actual statistics, or performance, as to not lose the portion of the audience that don't know what's going on.

• Like 2

More depressing then an aging Quarterback's hairline, more comedic then Blaine Gabbert, Starting QB (Okay, maybe not), it is time for everyone's favorite bottom-dweller battle royal......

TOP OF THE BOTTOM 2015!!!!

That's right, a new job, getting ill and the heartbreaking fact that Detroit denied us perfection could only keep me down for so long!  Now I'm more hyped then ever to dive into the depths of insanity that make up our contenders for the Goodell Trophy.  But enough of  that, let's get to the rankings!

1) Detroit                 1-7

2) Tennessee          1-6

3) San Diego           2-6

4) Baltimore            2-6

5) Cleveland            2-6

6) San Francisco     2-6 

7) Jacksonville         2-5

8) Dallas                  2-5

9) Chicago               2-5

10) Indianapolis       3-5

Welcome to the AFC South is still terrible edition of Top of the Bottom, as even though Houston isn't on the list right now, they are mere percentage points of sucking away from their rightful spot on the list.  The amazing this is that by this time last year you basically had Tampa and Tennessee fighting it out for first place by themselves; but this year teams are going to have to try their hardest not to win to keep up with all the soft competition.  I have to say though, I am officially picking San Francisco as my dark horse losers this year; I mean it takes a certain level of guts to bench your starting QB and then "improve" your abysmal backup's chances of losing by trading one of your playmakers away.  That is a level of dedication to losing that no other team has matched yet.

So looking at the upcoming games we only have one major matchup to keep an eye on; as the other teams are either serving jobber duty or trying to find ways to lose during their bye week.  San Diego faces Chicago in a battle that will shake up the rankings and it always feels like the Chargers are a second half of the season team.  It wouldn't surprise me if they slipped up and won, thus keeping Jay Cutler doing his best Sad Keanu impersonation.

That's all for now, so see you next week for more Top of the Bottom!

• Like 6

Kaep has earned his benching, but I'd like to see them give him the rest of the season to figure it out. It would be one thing if black quarterbacks who flame out get second chances, but they don't. If Kaepernick gets benched for the rest of the season, his career is over. He may sign somewhere else, but he's not going to be a guy who floats from team to team like Kilpatrick, Hoyer, or McCown.

Please...Vick, Byron Leftwich, Bruce Gradkowski... There are plenty of black QBs who were given multiple chances to start by different teams. When teams are starting guys like Fitzpatrick or Brian Hoyer there is no way Kaep's "career is over." The lack of quality QBimg dictates anybody who has some success gets multiple chances by necessity.

Now there is an argument that low end black QBs tend to wash out faster than white counterparts (take Terrell Pryor as opposed to say Weeden) but successful ones - even if the success was fleeting - never have trouble finding jobs.

Charlie Batch collected NFL paycheques for far longer than he should have

So Skip Bayless says Rodgers isn't that good.  Yeah Skip I guess after one bad game against probably the best defense in the league the Packers should just forget the MVP's, Super Bowl win and the ridiculous TD to INT ratio and bench him for Scott fucking Tolzien.

Can't believe that guy is still that upset that the Packers picked Rodgers over Favre.  Get over it already.