DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I thought it was surprisingly decent. Had a few laugh out loud moments.

Chevy was on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast and he said he would like to do another Vacation movie where the family gets stuck on an island after they have to evacuate a cruise ship.

I enjoyed Creed far more than I expected.

If you can tolerate the headphone commercial of the first half hour, Creed is a highly enjoyable film - an inconsistent narrative, with too many themes on such a narrow canvas, yet its big moments in the film are done fantastically well and to a younger audience; are as iconic as any in the franchise history. It avoids cliched trope nods to the past films and the narrative is uncharacteristically dark. Despite lacking a compelling antagonist, I can't see why you wouldn't want a sequel....if for no other reason than wondering why Rocky's real son was such an absentee cunt here.

The first half suffers majorly from being released so soon after Southpaw, and whilst Southpaw probably takes that fight on points, it wasn't the obvious knockout I expected it to be earlier on in the film.

This should be a franchise, they've left a lot of scope in Michael B Jordan's character, just not so much in wanting to see him fight the British guy in a rematch.

^Yep, great movie, pretty underrated. I love how the backstory finally unravels, if that's the right way to put it. Give an eye to God's Pocket too. Both were released around the same time, are in the same vein, and both feature lead actors that have died prematurely. The Drop is far superior I think but both have their merits.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever seen The Drop?   Tom fucking Hardy!  Loved it.

I saw it, and just finished the book.  While the book does a better job building the character backstories (As the book usually does), I thought the ending was superior in the film.

In the film, IIRC, Bob doesn't see Nadia again after shooting Eric Deeds, but goes by her house and hears footsteps at the end, leaving it up to the viewer if that's her footsteps or someone else.  In the book, she tracks him down a few days later and says something like "I've accepted that you might kill me and if you do, well that's that." and goes back to him while Bob takes the dog to the park and muses on fate

Saw Creed last night. Good movie but not great. The flaws of Fruitvale Staton are present here, too. Way too many scenes of mundane nothing with very choppy "flow", especially early on. There's a key moment with Creed's girlfriend that contradicts what she'd said earlier, too. Some nice callbacks to past entries in the series, good boxing scenes, and a good ending. 7/10.

It's still so crazy to me that Wallace is on the verge of being one of the biggest movie stars in the world, but here we are.  It was looking a little sketch after Fantastic 4, but Michael B. Jordan pulled through.  

Creed was the best Rocky movie since Rocky. An excellent reboot.  I'm on board with Stallone getting a best supporting actor nomination.  I've read elsewhere that Creed's first pro fight was all one take!  Which, damn I need to go back just to see that again.

One thing I really loved about this movie is that the black people were just people.  Honest, 3 dimensional characters who have thoughts and flaws and wants and dreams.

Edit: Another thing that was really slick, they have a trilogy of fights set up already!  Dude who knocks him out at the beginning never got his title shot and Ricky Conlan is going to jail.  So Creed 2 is set up for the interim title fight and then "Pretty" Ricky will get out on good behavior or some such to set up the rematch for Creed 3.

• Like 2

I just got around to watching Kingsman: The Secret Service.

I fucking LOVED it. It was so much fun, everything I want in an action movie. It wasn't all fucking serious and shit, it was just god damned great.

Hot damn.

Yeah, that movie was awesome.

I just got around to watching Kingsman: The Secret Service.

I fucking LOVED it. It was so much fun, everything I want in an action movie. It wasn't all fucking serious and shit, it was just god damned great.

Hot damn.

The

decapitation scene set to 'Pomp and Circumstance'

was probably/will probably be my second favourite awesome WTF scene of the year, narrowly edged by the dance sequence from 'Ex Machina'.