DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I liked the Seven reveal because of how they pulled the rug out instead of going with an established character. It doesn't come off as flat at all to me. John Doe's logic and how he pulls off everything is like watching someone solve a Rubik's Cube. If there's any complaint I can make about the film its that 1. it's way too dark and 2. it's always raining, which is just unrealistic. Captures a mood, though.

Oh I certainly enjoy the tone and the look of the film. I just don't like it when a film has an ending that the viewer has no clue about.

I had the same issue with Robert Downey Jrs Sherlock Holmes. He reveals this massive grand plan based on hints and clues he has picked up along the way and we as the viewer are left to just think "Yeah, ok I guess." having had no chance to 'solve' the riddle ourselves which, to me at least, is half the fun of these sorts of movies. Putting yourself in the cop's shoes and trying to work out who the bad guy is.

When it turns out to be someone totally unrelated to the first 2/3 of the story it feels a little flat.

I like the John Doe character and his work/methods but I just wish we had a little more of a chance to figure out who he was before the big reveal. I had the same issue with the killer in The Bone Collector

I think you're watching the movie wrong. Seven is not a murder mystery. It's not some whodunnit where the viewer is meant to figure out who the killer is. You're judging the film negatively based on a misconception you brought to it. You might as well be mad that it wasn't a musical comedy while you're at it.

Yeah, caley, WATCH MOVIES THE RIGHT WAY!*

*Total sarcasm. I've been in the Raw threads too much.

Hey why is my name coming up?!  I was talking about Adam Sandler!

Watched Top Five last night and it was a lot of fun.  Chris Rock does a pretty good job in the lead and the cameos are incredible: Adam Sandler talking about finding two vaginas in his glove compartment; Jerry Seinfeld making it rain and

DMX singing 'Smile' while in jail

I really liked it.

I had my daughter up for the weekend. I'm cooking dinner when I hear this ungodly crash in the living room. I run in to find one of the overhead lightbulbs shattered. Checking the kid for any cuts or other wounds, I then turn on my "what the fuck happened" serious parent mode.

She points to her jump rope and says, "I was being Fung Chung Woochie*." Therefore, it can be reasoned that my seven yr old child was "flying guillotining" imaginary muthafukkin hedz off, and the light fixture was merely collateral damage.

I can't believe, now, that I have to ground my child from watching kung fu movies. That shit is beyond a mere parenting win, that's perpetual parent victory!

*I wanted to preserve her pronunciation.

• Like 3

I had my daughter up for the weekend. I'm cooking dinner when I hear this ungodly crash in the living room. I run in to find one of the overhead lightbulbs shattered. Checking the kid for any cuts or other wounds, I then turn on my "what the fuck happened" serious parent mode.

She points to her jump rope and says, "I was being Fung Chung Woochie*." Therefore, it can be reasoned that my seven yr old child was "flying guillotining" imaginary muthafukkin hedz off, and the light fixture was merely collateral damage.

I can't believe, now, that I have to ground my child from watching kung fu movies. That shit is beyond a mere parenting win, that's perpetual parent victory!

You should be commending her. I've seen that movie a dozen times and I wouldn't know to call him anything other than "blind priest with the bushy eyebrows".

I made one of those custom "urban vinyl" figures of him, and I put the character name on the display.

I made it in 2014, and she's seen it for a long time and finally asked if she could watch the movie. She laughed her ass off the first time he pulls someone's head off. (I think/hope it was because of the absurdity of it, as opposed to the violence.)

Queen of Earth is on my shortlist for best movies of 2015.  Woman loses her father in a car crash and gets dumped by her boyfriend shortly thereafter, goes to a lake house with her friend to recuperate, and pretty much has a breakdown.  Amaaaazing Elisabeth Moss performance, and I'm developing a mancrush on Alex Ross Perry.  Guess I just like movies where people are being (strictly verbally) awful to each other.

Watched Top Five last night and it was a lot of fun.  Chris Rock does a pretty good job in the lead and the cameos are incredible: Adam Sandler talking about finding two vaginas in his glove compartment; Jerry Seinfeld making it rain and

DMX singing 'Smile' while in jail

I really liked it.

IMO, Chris Rock has never quite found a movie that deserves him.

His interviews about that movie were better and far more memorable than the movie itself.  

Also, I question Adam Sandler being involved in anything.

Uncle JT is VERY PROUD~!

CB4 is the only Chris Rock movie where a prime Khandi Alexander did the splits. So my bon...I mean I say that's my answer.

This and

and the totally NSFW

Good Hair is a great documentary but CB4 is the best Chris Rock movie, IMO.

• Like 4

I'm Black Y'all is fucking hysterical but you can actually boom Straight Outta Locash out of your speakers when you are rollin on the eiht about to do your dirty and that is why It is my favorite cut on the soundtrack.